Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indonesian Chicken Curry

Options
I posted the pics in the Jefferson eggfest thread, but thought I would share some details about the cook here (sorry the pics are so big - I don't know how to post smaller pictures).

I make this at home occasionally (usually indoors), and figured it would be worth trying at an eggfest. The flavors are  similar to Indian chicken curry, but the coconut milk, lemongrass,  and kaffir lime leaves really add distinct notes. It seemed to be well received at the eggfest, so I will probably do this again.  

I marinated about 15lbs of boneless chicken thighs in what is basically the curry base, with extra mustard oil in the marinade. Plan was to cook this like chicken tikka masala - grill the chicken, make the sauce, then combine the two. 

Toasted the whole spices(cumin, cardamom seeds, cloves, coriander, fennel seeds), then pureed with ginger, garlic, turmeric, chiles, mustard oil, and onion. Let the chicken marinate in it for 2 days. I wanted the chicken to pick up the flavors of the curry base, instead of just adding plain grilled chicken to the sauce. 

Grilled up all the chicken  in 2 batches. Direct, 425°F, used my AR.

The sauce starts off with mustard oil, cinnamon, kaffir lime leaves. 

Then added the curry base. Chicken and coconut milk went in next, and it all simmered   for some time to let everything meld together. 

Served with a bit of rice. Plating could have been neater, but there were mouths to feed!

Got lots of good feedback, so I was pleased with this one. It was something different for many of the folks at the eggfest, but one taster who had lived in Indonesia said that I nailed it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Good stuff, will be stealing this, just made some chicken curry yesterday the boring way.
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice and thanks for the details 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Y'all put raisins in yer Jambalaya? Most excellent!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Wow, beautiful cook
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think I would've camped out at your tent the whole time.  Beautiful.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Looks bomb. I'd eat the hell out of that. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good stuff, will be stealing this, just made some chicken curry yesterday the boring way.

I know youll like it. The recipe is from Saveur. I add more garlic, more ginger, and more thai chiles than what they have in their recipe. I also add a teaspoon of sugar to the base when it starts frying up.

• caliking
    Options
    I was actually planning on cooking biryani for this eggfest, and immediately remembered that line about raisins in jambalaya! Its been in my head for the last 3 weeks or so!!

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I need you to come over and make that for me now.  Kthanks

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:
    I was actually planning on cooking biryani for this eggfest, and immediately remembered that line about raisins in jambalaya! Its been in my head for the last 3 weeks or so!!

Bit like rendang. Lots of fennel in it though?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

Bit like rendang. Lots of fennel in it though?
    Not really. The pic shows what I used for 2x the recipe. It balances out the flavor of the coriander. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Damn that looks incredible. I wish I had the attention span to assemble that many ingredients for one dish! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    So glad you were able to join us in Jefferson for such a worthy cause. Your chicken was "off the charts" delicious. I heard so many people talking about how good it was. That is perfect for an eggfest to show the versatility of the Egg. Dang, I hate to wait til March for more!!!  Hope time flies.....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks good!