Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is skirt steak the bacon of beef?

Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was inspired by a recipe in "Smoke and Spice" to do an Asian skirt steak salad. I really cooked the steak, at 350-400 on a raised grid for about 45 minutes, flipping often. The result was a very, very tender and flavorful cut. This was well done for at least 1/2 hour before I pulled it. It reminded me of bacon. [p]To be honest, I really didn't need anything but the steak, but the salad was nice. Has anyone else tried a long cook on a skirt steak? Is it as tasty as filet or ribeye, or did I just get lucky?
Scott[p] IMGP0332.JPG?dc=4675582187769516465[p]IMGP0335.JPG?dc=4675582187808287294[p]IMGP0342.JPG?dc=4675582188049405167[p][p][p]

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Borders,[p]Skirt steak is a staple arout our home (at least twice a month).[p]I usually cook it at 400 - 500 for a few minutes per side, dwell for a few minutes and slice thin.[p]Very good stuff![p]Smokey

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Borders ,
    When I was a kid, it was skirt steak every Thursday night. (Thursday was payday!) When I grew up, I couldn't find it for a long time but now it's easy to get. I cook it often (rubbed, high temp sear) and usually make fajitas out of it.
    Nice pix.[p]Paul

• Borders ,[p]Never tried skirt steak.....but I see it is cut with the grain as compared to like a London Broil. So is it considered a tender meat?[p]Howard

• Borders
    Howard, it was very tender and flavorful.

• Borders
    Essex County, Thanks. How did Mom or Dad cook it? [p]I've seen on this forum that most people sear this cut, and Naked Whiz even throws it directly on the coals. I got the idea of a long cook from a brazilian recipe that a friend cooked. He cooked it for a long time at medium temps, basting with BBQ sauce frequently. It really seemed to concentrate the flavor. I was pleased with the effect here. Still juicy and tender with lots of flavor.
    Scott

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Borders,
    Mom...bless her heart. Let's just say I didn't learn cooking from her. She used to broil skirt steak and serve it with a little can of Dawn Fresh mushroom sauce. But the skirt steak has a lot going for it. Great flavor. Great texture. (Don't serve it too rare or it's tough.) [p]I've done it with rubs, with a jerk marinade, and teriyaki style. All have been great.[p]Paul

• Which recipe in "Smoke & Spice" inspired you? I can't seem to find it.
  • Borders
    PlanoSam, Check out page 294. That's by memory, as I'm at work right now. It's called Spicy Asian Skirt Steak Salad or something similar, definitely in the salad section of the book.
    Scott

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Borders,[p]Is that in the newer edition or the old one?
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Borders ,
    Looks great and not to well done from the photo.You normal method for skirt or flank steak is hot and quick.What temp did you pull the skirt?Looks like a low and slow approach to skirt,only kidding.But if the end result is great stick with it.

• Borders
    Haggis, The copyright is 2003.

• Borders
    darnoc, I know this is contrary to the prescribed method, but I did this following a method that a friend used to much success. I knew I was cooking it beyond well done, so I never checked the internal temps. I'd guess 180 at least. My fire was about 350 and I used a raised grid. [p]
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Borders ,
    It looked real good.I know it has more fat content than flank that is why the longer cook time will make a good meal.Will cook a few this weekend and report back.