Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermoworks Smoke vs Maverick 732

Options
HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,350
Here's a video comparing the new Thermoworks Smoke remote read thermo to the Maverick 732:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv7lgoUa75w
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Good video - looking forward to it.  Maniac is one of my favorite youtube cooks.

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks nice.  I noticed they are also coming out with a wi-fi gateway and an app.  

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?utm_source=Nl-2016Oct01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Feature&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Oct2016-Introducing-Smoke-cs

If that is reasonably priced it would be a nice addition.  Great that they are using wi-fi instead of bluetooth.  BT range is spotty at best for this type of application. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Pricey but looks worth it considering the well documented flaws in the maverick (PITA to program, poor build quality -- the battery door screws strip easily, for instance) and the igrill2 (Bluetooth drops off unexpectedly, doesn't pair reliably). May try it. Or ask for it as a gift. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    It has been my personal experience that Thermoworks quality is far superior to Maverick. I have had 4 Mavericks over time and they have actually been pretty unreliable. I switched to Thermoworks about 5 years ago and now have about 10 items they make. I have been completely satisfied with the quality but did have to sacrifice having a remote monitor. Now they have that too!
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Man that looks nice.  I noticed they are also coming out with a wi-fi gateway and an app.  

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?utm_source=Nl-2016Oct01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Feature&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Oct2016-Introducing-Smoke-cs

If that is reasonably priced it would be a nice addition.  Great that they are using wi-fi instead of bluetooth.  BT range is spotty at best for this type of application. 
    The Smoke does not use WiFI. The Smoke transmitter uses the same frequency (2.4ghz) as Wifi and Bluetooth but they are apparently using their own proprietary protocol to transmit to the receivers.

To connect to Wifi they will be selling a separate gateway next spring for $80. That gateway will pair with the Smoke transmitter and the gateway unit is what will connect to your WiFi router.

One thing I didn't like about the video is the way they tested the range. They just conducted a simple clearfield, line of sight test. Both units had similar range.

I think it would have been more useful if they had just taken both receivers to the front yard or opposite side of the house to see how well each unit can "punch thru" a typical house.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DynaGlide
    Options
    I must be the odd man out I love my et732. I don't bother programming it I use it for temp monitoring and it's always dead on 
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I really like the ThermaQ, and was thinking they would lower the price after the Smoke was introduced. But, it's still priced at $139. When you add 2 probes, the price is still over $200. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I'm really odd I guess. The IGrill2 works flawlessly for me and doesn't take up any space at my grill or in my pocket. The 'Smoke' looks like one of those Radio Shack weather stations to me. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • HeavyG
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I really like the ThermaQ, and was thinking they would lower the price after the Smoke was introduced. But, it's still priced at $139. When you add 2 probes, the price is still over $200. 
    They may still drop the price. However, keep in mind that the ThermaQ (like its predecessor my trusty old TW-8060) uses the better (albeit more expensive) type K probes.

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DynaGlide said:
    I must be the odd man out I love my et732. I don't bother programming it I use it for temp monitoring and it's always dead on 
    I agree.  I don't necessarily love my ET 732, but it works fine.  I don't see a lot of functionality to be gained with the new Thermoworks model. 

The wi-fi adapter is interesting, but as someone else pointed out, that puts you in the range of $200 for a device that only monitors temps.

If I didn't have a 732 this new device would certainly be on my short list to consider, though.
    New Orleans LA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I like the looks of that!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    BilZol said:
    I'm really odd I guess. The IGrill2 works flawlessly for me and doesn't take up any space at my grill or in my pocket. The 'Smoke' looks like one of those Radio Shack weather stations to me. 
    I like the IGrill2, but I have issues with the range.  It doesn't work from my office, which is less than 40 feet from my egg.  The fireplace is right in the line of site so that might be the problem.  

Also the alarms don't really work well for me on my iphone. The phone has to be awake and the app has to be running in the foreground to get an alert.  If my phone is asleep or if I switch to a different app I get no notification at all when an alarm condition occurs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    BilZol said:
    I like the IGrill2, but I have issues with the range.  It doesn't work from my office, which is less than 40 feet from my egg.  The fireplace is right in the line of site so that might be the problem.  

Also the alarms don't really work well for me on my iphone. The phone has to be awake and the app has to be running in the foreground to get an alert.  If my phone is asleep or if I switch to a different app I get no notification at all when an alarm condition occurs. 
    Can't help with the LOS problem, but when I installed my app for the iGrill it must have defaulted to the foreground. Mine alerts me whether it's asleep or not. That could be a settings issue. I had an S7 for a month and it didn't behave well. I went and got a i7 this weekend because I hated the S7 so much. It was a costly experiment. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    BilZol said:

Check your notification settings on the iPhone.  Min e alerts me no matter if the phone is awake or asleep.  Should have every toggle switched to on for Show in Notification Center, sounds and Show on Lock Screen.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Considering that the Maverick we had always had connection issues between the base and remote we quit using it. I love my Thermoworks ChefAlarm and Thermapen so I'm seriously considering the Smoke. Plus I don't really want a product that is app dependent with my phone. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Be nice to have something to monitor grate temp or multiple pieces of meat.  
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    One thing where I think Thermoworks really blew it with their new "Smoke" was just having two probe ports. They should have had at least 4 probe ports so folks could have a grate temp and a few meat probes.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    One thing where I think Thermoworks really blew it with their new "Smoke" was just having two probe ports. They should have had at least 4 probe ports so folks could have a grate temp and a few meat probes.
    Absolutely agree.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Could care less about meat probes, never use them on any of mine I have had through the years, even the Guru.  More of a PITA than anything.  When I get close, the Pen comes out.  Stick, and pull as they finish.  But, I don't do brisket, ribs don't need it, so that leaves shoulder for the Q cooks.

Would be more interested in running two pit probes simultaneously with the Smoke.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The Smoke does not use WiFI. The Smoke transmitter uses the same frequency (2.4ghz) as Wifi and Bluetooth but they are apparently using their own proprietary protocol to transmit to the receivers.

One thing I didn't like about the video is the way they tested the range. They just conducted a simple clearfield, line of sight test. Both units had similar range.

I've got some experience with wireless units from my musician days, both transmitters (fiddle) and receivers (in-ear monitors), both VHF and UHV.  The critical difference seemed to be the receiving antenna (two antennas set at 90-degrees to each other worked much better).  Line-of-sight range was a factor, walls/obstructions didn't seem to be, so much.
    But, these units work at 2.4 GHz, may be a whole different ball game, I don't know (I'm an ME by training, that radio stuff flies over my head).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    Options
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

I've got some experience with wireless units from my musician days, both transmitters (fiddle) and receivers (in-ear monitors), both VHF and UHV.  The critical difference seemed to be the receiving antenna (two antennas set at 90-degrees to each other worked much better).  Line-of-sight range was a factor, walls/obstructions didn't seem to be, so much.
    But, these units work at 2.4 GHz, may be a whole different ball game, I don't know (I'm an ME by training, that radio stuff flies over my head).  

The antennas in most 2.4ghz devices is only about 30mm long. You could have (and perhaps some do) multiple antennas in various configurations in something like a thermometer receiver. That might help a bit.

The real problem tho is the frequency itself. The higher the frequency the less it is able to penetrate walls. No 2.4ghz device is going to have the ability to penetrate a wall(s) as well as something at a lower frequency. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The real problem tho is the frequency itself. The higher the frequency the less it is able to penetrate walls. No 2.4ghz device is going to have the ability to penetrate a wall(s) as well as something at a lower frequency. 

Thanks, I should've remembered that from a previous job; losing too many brain cells!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    Might be a silly question here, but is it possible to use a thermoworks probe in the Maverick? I really like some of the thermoworks configurations/options but I'm not giving up my Maverick till it dies. 
  • BigEggDaddy
    Options
    I'm excited for the Smoke to come out. I have several of their products and they never do me wrong! I pre-ordered one, can't wait to try it.