Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do Ribs Render?

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After doing many racks of BabyBacks using Dr. BBQ's Backyard Championship recipe (foiling method), I did a couple of racks indirect at 225 for five hours and did not foil - just spritzed with QBabes recipe every hour. [p]I was disappointed with the results ... seems the ribs were fatty. They were tender using the toothpick method, but they just were not up to my expectations. Got the ribs from the same place I always do. [p]Do ribs render out more using the foiling method? Seems that the ribs this time (non foiled) were chewier.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    meinbmw,
    I don't know if they render more during the foiling, but they certainly do render some fat during foiling. You will find a fair amount of fat in the bottom of the foil when you pull them out. I find my ribs still have a lot of fat in them, even with the foiling.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    meinbmw, I use a drip pan under ribs on an inverted plate setter and fat drips into the drip pan that I place on the plate setter. My guess is that you didn't cook them long enough. Let me suggest that you try this sometime: Cook them indirect, no foil, on the regular grid over a drip pan that is on the plate setter. Use a rib rack is needed. Cook them two hours at 225* and then increase the temperature (at the grate level) between 275* and 300* to finish cooking them. Spray them with a combination of apple juice and apple cider vinegar every hour after you run the temp up to 275*-300* (I also add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce in the spray bottle.) It will probably take between four and five hours to get them done. This works well for me.