Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Veggan Coming for Dinner!

Uncle Phil
Uncle Phil Posts: 669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have folks coming over for dinner tonight. We are going to TREX steaks. One of the guests is a Vegetarian and so I got a Portobello Mushroom for her. I have no idea what to do with this or how long to Egg it! I do know she does NOT eat cheese, so what do you think?
Thanks as always![p]Uncle Phil

Comments

• chmoo
    chmoo Posts: 38
    Uncle Phil,[p]Around here we call things that don't eat meat "food". ;^)
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Uncle Phil,[p]I would get some frozen spinach..thaw and wrap in a towel...squeeze all the water out....[p]then chop (food processor works well)add a little oil.(vegi)..then throw in some bread crumbs if she eats bread.[p]several cloves of carlic..some red pepper flakes a squeeze of lemon juice....[p]then you should have a paste like mush...if in a processor..or mix by hand..[p]
    and stuff in the shrooms and sprinkle with olive oil...[p]then grill until done....depends on how big and how hot..probably 15-30 mins..[p]

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    icemncmth,[p]OH...a little nutmeg! 1/4 teaspoon
  • Yo Uncle Phil,[p]You might want to check to see if the guest will even eat the shroom that will be cooked on the same grill that meat has been cooked on. Some folks who don't eat meat won't eat anything that has been prepared where meat was prepared...[p]As far as the shroom goes, I can't help you but I do know how to mix up some italian dressing, brown sugar and teriyaki sauce. I guess that the teriyaki sauce might not be cool with your guest but mixing vegetables (cherry tomatoes, diced bell peppers, pearl onions, chunks of pineapple, etc) into the marinade then grilling makes for some tasty grub.[p]Good luck,
    Matt.[p]

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Uncle Phil,[p]Do you have a variety of chunks you can serve? Fruit wood might be nice... ; )
  • FowlMouth
    FowlMouth Posts: 14
    Remove stems from shrooms and the gills also. rub on both sides with EVOO (extra Virgin Olive OIl) Sprinkle with combination of pepper, salt, garlic powder, and a little sweet basil. Cook at 750 deg for 2 minutes on both sides. Serve immediately. They do not hold well so cook last.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Uncle Phil,
    I would marinade it in Italian dressing. Then I would grill it 4-5 minutes, gills down while I was also grilling a nice thick slice of a sweet (vidalia?) onion. Then, I would turn the mushroom over and turn the onion over for another 4-5 minutes. You can insert toothpicks from the side in the onion to keep it together if necessary. To serve, I'd place the onion on the mushroom and top with some diced tomatoes with chilies and lime. (You can usually find a can of this stuff in the canned tomato section. It's a little blue and yellow label can, as I recall.)[p]Good luck!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    icemncmth,[p]This sounds really good to me. All I would add is to take a large spoon and scrape out the gills from the inside of the mushroom. I would also rub the top of the cap (cook side down ) with EVOO. For dishes like this I like a stromg unfiltered Olive oil (not bitter, but expensive). This will add to the flavor. Also add a healthy pinch of kosher salt in the food processor.
  • waruwaru
    waruwaru Posts: 45
    Around here, Vegan and Vegetarian have different requirements too. So, maybe you should check with the guest to be 100% sure.[p]The other day, our company had a BBQ party and in the Vegan section, there were:
    - salad
    - some rice dish with beans
    - vegie pattie burgers

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Uncle Phil,
    I cook portobellas a lot. One good way is to sprinkle with EVOO and S&P, then layer on some pizza sauce and then just add some of those salad toppings without the bacon bits. It will have a nice steak like texture with a hint of pizza and a little crunch. Cook at 350 until it starts to wilt.[p]Hopes this helps!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    We did this the other night. INCREDIBLE!!!!![p]Jim
    [ul][li]Portabello with leeks, spinach & goat cheese[/ul]
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil,[p]Thanks to all. Very helpful info. I will let you know how it turns out.[p]Uncle Phil

• Uncle Phil,[p]Stick a big bloody steak under her nose...(G)
  • Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil,
    Thanks all. The mushroom was the best she had ever had and she was touched that I would take the time to assure her meal was good. She did however, say that the steaks smelled fabulous and looked great or at least as great as a steak could look to a Vegetarian.[p][p]Uncle Phil