Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

Options
I'm about to put a spatchcocked turkey breast on the egg this afternoon. It's been marinating in a vodka/lemon and orange zest/italian seasoning/habanero etc. marinade that I got out of Chile Pepper magazine for about 18 hours now. I just stopped by Ace Hardware for a new sack of Wicked but my only choices were Cowboy or Rockwood. I'll be trying Rockwood and hoping for the best.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Good choice.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Marinade sounds good. Any chance you could post the recipe? Thanks

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Wondering about the lengthy marinade. Acid tends to make meat mushy after a few hours. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Sure I will post before tonight when I get through cooking. As far as the time goes occasionally I get busy.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Okay while the egg is getting up to temp.

Tipsy Turkey from Chile Pepper magazine.
    3/4 cup citrus vodka
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons of orange zest
    1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon zest
    2 habanero peppers, stemmed, deseeded, and cut up fine
    2 tablespoons italian seasoning
    1/ 1/2 tablespoons of salt
    1 teaspoon of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of onion powder
    1 teaspoon of garlic powder

combine in a bowl and marinate overnight. It says that it is makes a cup or enough for a 10 to 12 lb turkey. I blended the marinade in my Ninja to get a uniform consistency and came up with nearly 12 ounces. No instructions about actually cooking the bird were included but I'm going to cook it indirect till the breast is about 150F. Got to go check on the coals now.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    my only choices were Cowboy or Rockwood. 
    This is like being given the choice between Heaven or Hell. Glad to see that you chose Heaven my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Yes I'm only a 10 minute walk from Rockwood....if I want to carry a 20 lb sack back on my shoulder. Time to go see If I managed to back the temp back from 400F.