Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do I Clean Pizza Stones?

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This Holiday season was good to me as far as acquiring new equipment for the egg. I landed a copy of Sublime Smoke, a pizza peel and the kiln shelves.[p]The question that I have refers to the kiln shelves. They are pretty well covered with fine sand. Would it be okay to wash them? I really feel that I need to clean them before I use them.[p]Also, is there a process to cure them or should I just assume that they are ready to go since they are made for a kiln.[p]For those of you with plate setters, did you face the same dilemma? [p]At some point in the future, I will finally put a pizza on the egg.[p]Happy Baking,
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Are you using the kiln shelf as a pizza stone? I would use plain water and friction, if necessary, to rinse the stone, not soap as the soap will soak into the pours and be difficult to rinse out. That will get the dust off of it. When you get spills and discolorations from use, don't worry about it, that's a sign of aging and it will actually work better as it gets a bit of a film from use. If you have some sauce or cheese spill and cook on the stone, just use a metal spatula to scrape it clean. firing it in the egg bare will burn off the extra. If you have a self-cleaning oven, you can always put it in there when you run the cycle to get it really clean.[p]I don't think it needs any special curing. Just don't geive it alot of thermal shock and you should be ok.
    Mary

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Mary,
    That is exactly what I intend on using the kiln shelves for. My only concern is that I bought two 13-inch shelves I hope that they allow for enough airflow on my small BGE. I also purchased spacers to help lift the stone off of the grill. I have not had a chance to try them out yet.[p]Thanks for the information on the initial cleaning. The baking tiles that I use in my oven have never been cleaned. I do not see the need other than you described. I have been using those clay tiles in my egg, but they have been taking a beating. I decided that an upgrade was in order.[p]Thank you,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I have a set of kiln shelves that I use in the EGG. Mary is right, just give then a good wipe with water. The shelves are ready to as far as temp is concerned (they can easily take porcelain firing temps from the start). Your kiln shelves are much "tighter" than a ceramic stone and will wear in very quickly. I like the idea of burning a layer of sauce on them. If you space the shelves above the grill high enough to use the peel, you have made more than enough space under the shelves to easily reach 600+F. [p]Spin
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Spin,
    I did a dry run when I first made the purchase. I used the spacers, shelf, spacers and then the other shelf. It placed the top shelf at the perfect height. Now I just knead the time. [p]Maybe, my wife would get the sauce and dough ready for one night and I could finish the job when I got home. I just printed off your instructions.[p]Thank you,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Spin and Mary, of course, are accurate about the cleaning of the stones. I even used mine as a heat baffle for Elder's brisket, and it got covered with drippings and quite black. I scraped it off before and after preheating it for pizza, and it worked better than ever. I guess some call it "seasoned", but all I know is it works great without a whole bunch of cleaning.[p]How did your dry test run work out?? I am curious about using my small egg. I thought the grate size on the small BGE was about 13 inches. I am suprised the 13 inch stones provide enough airspace to get those high temps. How did it work for you??

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I did not use a fire. I was not sure that I was going to keep them. [p]It was not a tight fit, but it was close. I was able to just get my finger in between the base and the stone. With my current setup, I was not able to get much past the 350-400 range. I think that I may actually get more airflow due to the shape now. Only time will tell.[p]I will let you when I do get them working as to high of a temperature that I get to. With them being kiln shelves, I am not worried about the heat breaking them.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, I don't think those 13 inch diameters will work except for possibly very low and slow smoke techniques or B-Butt. It will choke off your air flow far to much. A ten inch one might work fairly well. Just a hunch..I have a small also and a 13 inch grill is full diameter across. Very tight fit for the sitter.
    Good Luck..C~W[p]

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    I used my baking tiles on a grill at first, then found a nice stone. A stone is easier to use on the egg because it doesn't shift. I always want to do a quick jerking motion to get my food off the peel and onto the stone, and the tiles would sift a bit. A solid one piece surface is a little easier.[p]Mary

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    It is not too late for me to take them back. Maybe I will wrap one in foil and see how high I can get the temperature before I make the decision. [p]By the way, my gasket is shot. I need to order another one.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, You can check locally in your home improvement centers. I found the grey flat rope material use in/on metal fireburning stove doors. Or you can order the originals with the self adhesive back from BGE. They will surface mail it to you. Good luck. C~W
    (if you need the name of the grey product, I will get it for ya. I got it for backup reserve as I had just replaced all my felt on both unit's before winter hit. Easy job.
    Cheerio,,,,C~W

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I just called BGE and order two new gaskets. These will be gaskets number three and four. Running the Small at high temperatures seems to really burn the gasket. Oh well, such is the price of great food.[p]Were you the one who suggested the use of GoofOff to remove the glue from the gasket?[p]RhumAndJerk

• Char-Woody
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, Yep...I mentioned that back in a post a few months ago..Goop Off..I think is correct. Its a volatile stuff so be sure the fire is out :-) But its the best sticky tape residule remover I have found. Let it air dry and rub it down with sandpaper to remove as much as you can before applying the new tape. My new application is stuck on really good, with no problems. Even the small thru high temp burns is doing great. Good luck..C~W[p]