Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sonoma at the end of the month

Taking the wife to Sonoma for the anniversary at the end of the month. I am not a wine "snob" by any stretch, but I do like wine. Anyone have any food or winery suggestions? We are staying in Sonoma four 3-4 days and then San Fran for another. Thanks in advance for the help.
Irmo, SC

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    If you can, and it will be a little driving but I promise, so well worth it....Get to St Helena and go to Farmstead for Dinner.  It will remind you of Egg cooking, I swear, and the food is absolutely the best food I have ever eating in the Napa Valley.  All my favorite wineries are in Napa, so unless you want to go wine tasting there, I won't be much help.  I can't stress enough though to try to eat at Farmstead.  I am 45 minutes fro Napa and would EASILY drive there JUST for dinner.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • If you can, and it will be a little driving but I promise, so well worth it....Get to St Helena and go to Farmstead for Dinner.  It will remind you of Egg cooking, I swear, and the food is absolutely the best food I have ever eating in the Napa Valley.  All my favorite wineries are in Napa, so unless you want to go wine tasting there, I won't be much help.  I can't stress enough though to try to eat at Farmstead.  I am 45 minutes fro Napa and would EASILY drive there JUST for dinner.
    Thanks, I will definitely look into it.
    Irmo, SC
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    I just did this exact trip in July so I will give you my input, we actually hit 6 or 7 in one day only because we had the time, I wouldn't recommend this for obvious reasons. Sonoma has it's vineyards however I feel the majority of Sonoma are just tasting rooms, and some phenomenal one's at that if you like Red, which is all I drink. If you want to do an actual vineyard the only one that I cared for was The Ridge in Lytton Springs then I would recommend Korbin Kameron tasting room, then walk 20 feet out the back door to Laurel Glen. If you only go to one place, my only recommendation would be go to Kamen in the downtown square, its a modern tasting room but I promise you it is the best red wine you will drink the whole trip. Only place we ever ate was Hop Monk which is good and has a neat atmosphere. 
    Birmingham, AL
  • tikigriller
    If you can, and it will be a little driving but I promise, so well worth it....Get to St Helena and go to Farmstead for Dinner.  It will remind you of Egg cooking, I swear, and the food is absolutely the best food I have ever eating in the Napa Valley.  All my favorite wineries are in Napa, so unless you want to go wine tasting there, I won't be much help.  I can't stress enough though to try to eat at Farmstead.  I am 45 minutes fro Napa and would EASILY drive there JUST for dinner.

I had a Pork Chop, grilled over a wood fire, jalepeno potatoes, grill artichokes, deviled eggs that were uunreal, wedge salad, honey bisquits and I think corn bread.  We just about ordered everything on the menu and shared it amongst the 4 of us.

http://www.longmeadowranch.com/Farmstead/Restaurant

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Farmstead is awesome, the grounds are amazing too. There is a nice little outside bar that has great beer at an even better price, it is a nice change after drinking reds all day.
    Birmingham, AL
  • When in SF try to go to House of Prime Rib. Best prime rib I've eaten, plus if your still hungry after your meal they give you a second (thinner) slice free.  Definitely an iconic SF restaurant.
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • tikigriller
    When in SF try to go to House of Prime Rib. Best prime rib I've eaten, plus if your still hungry after your meal they give you a second (thinner) slice free.  Definitely an iconic SF restaurant.

Yes yes yes!

Livermore, California
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2016
    Go to Westside Road in the Russian River Valley and hit up all the wineries there. I have a friend that owns Arista- it's a gorgeous place and they have great wines. Here are my favorites in that area:

Arista- 95+ point Pinot Noirs (can be pricey for a bottle  but just do the tasting for $10 and try them all)

Porter Creek- Was voted best Zinfandel in California 2014- I got the last bottle he had :)

Copain- lots of great wines here. 

Westside road has a winery every 100 yards. It's in the hills and just beautiful country. The area is known for Pinot Noir because of the climate. You won't get any better anywhere in the world. 

Hit the 3 above and a few more and that would be a very good day

Others we really enjoy in the area are Pride Mountain Winery- this is my favorite tour of all of them. It's on top of a mountain and you can see the ocean from up there on clear days. You do a tasting right in the caves and they give you a load of interesting info about the area and wine making. We go every time. Great place for a picnic too. Grab some charcuterie at the Fatted Calf and some cheese from Cowgirl Creamery in the Ferry Building in SF and take it with. 

Cade Winery is great. Very Rustic facility but great wines. Cool spot for sure

Smith Madrone- Awesome place. The owner/winemaker does the tasting right in the barrel room/workshop. He and his brother founded it in the 60's and have some great stories. He won best chardonnay in the world in France in 1970 and didn't know it for 4 months. He didn't even know he was entered. Someone saw it in a newspaper in France and mailed it to him!

Some of these are appointment only (Copain, and Smith Madrone for sure) so call first. Both are worth it- especially Smith Madrone for the stories alone. 

Also- go in to Santa Rosa and hit up the Russian River Brewing Co. Grab some Pliny the Elder- widely considered one of the best beers on the planet

Cool side trips: Headlsburg is a cool little wine town. Sonoma is awesome to. Just go to the town square and hang out in the park. Hit up all the little tasting rooms. I have another friend who owns a label with a tasting room in Sonoma- Marcel Pitard is the label. Santa Rosa is big but has some great restaurants and cool shops etc. There is a restaurant group up there called Willi's. Any format they have is really good. We love Willi's wine bar in Santa Rosa. Always our first stop. They have a seafood place in Healdsburg too. We always go there and eat oysters and drink wine. Hog Island Oyster Co in the Ferry Building in SF is Great (there is also one in Napa in the Oxbow Market Building- worth a visit for sure). So is the Slanted Door (Thai Food). Also the little grocery store in the SF Ferry Building sells SRF meats over the counter. We bought some chops from them last time we were there. If you have a place to cook while you are in Sonoma, stop there and take some up with you.

I have dozens more places to send you so let me know if you want more

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tikigriller
    I know Cade is appointment only.  We tried to go once because one of our son;s name is Cade, and we could not get in and they were quite adamant about appointment only.  I do understand it is supposed to be a gorgeous spot and worth the effort to get there.

Livermore, California
  • I know Cade is appointment only.  We tried to go once because one of our son;s name is Cade, and we could not get in and they were quite adamant about appointment only.  I do understand it is supposed to be a gorgeous spot and worth the effort to get there.
    Great wines too. Out of my normal price range but we were blown away by one good wine after another. The have a 2nd label called Plump Jack and it's out of this world too. If you ever want to treat yourself, this is a great label to do it with. Arista too. Very boutiq-y pinots.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Taking the wife to Sonoma for the anniversary at the end of the month. I am not a wine "snob" by any stretch, but I do like wine. Anyone have any food or winery suggestions? We are staying in Sonoma four 3-4 days and then San Fran for another. Thanks in advance for the help.
    I had the best massage I ever had at the Renaissance in Sonoma. OK, i know that was not what you asked, but loved that hotel and truly the rub down was most excellent. When in San Fran, a must do for me is the House of Nan King....it is a dive of a Chinese restaurant.....but the best I have ever had. You don't have to order....just tell them to bring you some goodies if you like. Get there early....or you will be in for a good weight in line.

Have fun....as if I had to tell you that....tiger boy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    While @The Cen-Tex Smoker is right,  Pliny is good, Russian River also has many sours and other beers that are also great. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I was going to say French Laundry, but 30 days isn't far enough out for a reservation.
  • tikigriller
    Plump Jack does have some good wines.  My wife won't let me drink them.  She had  a run in with someone high up in Plump Jack once while she ws in the wine industry(she used to run a wine store), so now she won't support them at all.  We went to Squaw Valley one year and stayed at lodge right there that is owned by Plump Jack and she almost made us change places until she found out there was nothing else available!  What can I say...she carries a serious grudge.

Livermore, California
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    be sure to get a burger at gotts.  One across from merryvale and one on 1st street downtown napa.  

For wineries, hit Dutch Henry, Fortunati, Sequoia Grove and Artesa.  Coppola is cool too if you go upstairs to see the chait vito corleone sat in

Mustards if you can get in is ridiculous.    Live music on fri nite at the silverado mansion is a lot of fun too

You cant have a bad time there.   And the smaller wineries are really laid back.  Remember these people are farmers, not snobs.   

enjoy!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The Stinking Rose, the garlic restaurant, is always fun, and a pretty decent wine list, is in SF, should you have the time.
    My favorite area is Calistoga for wine. Bold and hearty reds, and tons of beautifully kept caves. Find Diamond Mountain, and spend a day there, where there are several wineries of unequal, superior caliber. Get an appointment at them all, but start at von Strasser. Rudy started out as an apprentice working for the Rothchilds in Bordeaux. His wines are solid, bold, and have a very "French" feel.
    For something a little different, and fun, try Castille di Amorosa. They are Italian influenced in their wine making. Their Sangiovese are amongst the best in the world, and My Beautiful Wife swears their chards are top quality, of which, from the tasting, she is spot on. Try their super tuscans, you will not be disappointed.
    Another spot for dining, and perhaps more for the wine, is the Rutherford Grill. It is my understanding, based on what I have been told, much of the marketing research of the vin masters, is done in this restaurant. You will see them in the place judging their wines against others, and many will bring in several bottles for people to try.
    One more stop on the wine trail should include Providence. The wine maker there, used to be the winemaker for Duckhorn, back when their wines were legendary. He caught a great opportunity at Providence, and has turned that vinyard into a powerhouse with extremely affordable wines, for their rankings. Latest gets a 93 on the cabs, for less than $35.00, which is unheard of in these parts. Sauv Blancs are amongst the best California has to offer.
    If you can get into Mustards, do it. You will Love, love,love the place, great food and one of the best, if not the best California wine lists, anywhere.
    There are so many places to visit. If you are going to do the California Coastal Highway, back to SF, stop at the Oakwood grocery in Napa. Let them prepare a gourmet picnic lunch, buy a couple bottles of wine, and enjoy.
    Make sure you have a wine key, and a coule of glasses, you will use them.
    Have fun, it is one of my most favorite trips to take.
    I have tons more for suggestions if you need more.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Go to Westside Road in the Russian River Valley and hit up all the wineries there. I have a friend that owns Arista- it's a gorgeous place and they have great wines. Here are my favorites in that area:

Arista- 95+ point Pinot Noirs (can be pricey for a bottle  but just do the tasting for $10 and try them all)

Porter Creek- Was voted best Zinfandel in California 2014- I got the last bottle he had :)

Copain- lots of great wines here. 

Westside road has a winery every 100 yards. It's in the hills and just beautiful country. The area is known for Pinot Noir because of the climate. You won't get any better anywhere in the world. 

Hit the 3 above and a few more and that would be a very good day

Others we really enjoy in the area are Pride Mountain Winery- this is my favorite tour of all of them. It's on top of a mountain and you can see the ocean from up there on clear days. You do a tasting right in the caves and they give you a load of interesting info about the area and wine making. We go every time. Great place for a picnic too. Grab some charcuterie at the Fatted Calf and some cheese from Cowgirl Creamery in the Ferry Building in SF and take it with. 

Cade Winery is great. Very Rustic facility but great wines. Cool spot for sure

Smith Madrone- Awesome place. The owner/winemaker does the tasting right in the barrel room/workshop. He and his brother founded it in the 60's and have some great stories. He won best chardonnay in the world in France in 1970 and didn't know it for 4 months. He didn't even know he was entered. Someone saw it in a newspaper in France and mailed it to him!

Some of these are appointment only (Copain, and Smith Madrone for sure) so call first. Both are worth it- especially Smith Madrone for the stories alone. 

Also- go in to Santa Rosa and hit up the Russian River Brewing Co. Grab some Pliny the Elder- widely considered one of the best beers on the planet

Cool side trips: Headlsburg is a cool little wine town. Sonoma is awesome to. Just go to the town square and hang out in the park. Hit up all the little tasting rooms. I have another friend who owns a label with a tasting room in Sonoma- Marcel Pitard is the label. Santa Rosa is big but has some great restaurants and cool shops etc. There is a restaurant group up there called Willi's. Any format they have is really good. We love Willi's wine bar in Santa Rosa. Always our first stop. They have a seafood place in Healdsburg too. We always go there and eat oysters and drink wine. Hog Island Oyster Co in the Ferry Building in SF is Great (there is also one in Napa in the Oxbow Market Building- worth a visit for sure). So is the Slanted Door (Thai Food). Also the little grocery store in the SF Ferry Building sells SRF meats over the counter. We bought some chops from them last time we were there. If you have a place to cook while you are in Sonoma, stop there and take some up with you.

I have dozens more places to send you so let me know if you want more

This is great info. Thanks for the help. I am trying to get a gameplan now. It sounds like we should have planned to stay longer. I will be in touch if I need more. Thanks again
    Irmo, SC
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Agree with @tikigriller and @stonewh - Go to Farmstead - fantastic food.  I believe that the Pino we had (on tap) came out carbonated, so I'd probably suggest that you get a bottle of wine to complement your food.

As far as Sonoma goes - never been.  But if you'd like some recommendations on Napa - let me know.  I see Cade has already been mentioned - spectacular views.

Well, heck.  Here's a few quick pointers on Napa (I can expand if you'd like).  If you're looking for a tour (and not just a tasting) - you can go wrong by visiting Far Niente (not my favorite wine but a good tour) and Shramsburg (sparkling wine aka method of Champagne).  The Shramsburg tour happens almost exclusively in their cellars and it's a nice change of pace from the multiple winery tours that you're bound to do.

Enjoy!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • tikigriller
    Napa---Paraduxx and Regusci.  Mumm for Champaigne.  ALL have sit  down style wine tasting, great people, awesome environments, and the wine is my favorite...but I am into Blends...my acid reflux can't  handle Red's and  the Tannnens. 

Livermore, California