Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ThermoWorks order came in!

You can feel the quality of this product. Glad I stepped up and got it. 

Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Best accessory you can buy in my opinion
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Everything about cooking changed for me when mine came. By far the best addition. 
    VA Beach
  • Best item for the money!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Mine came in today too!!!!  Very impressed. Not even close to what I expected. Now I know why it was $100
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    I literally just used it for the first time and can tell why everyone recommends them so. Another item....don't delay, just get it!!!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I like them enough that I now have 3 of them!
  • Is there any advantage to the thermopen vs. just using the meat temp sensor on a BBQguru or other temperature controller?  Just wondering 
    Medium BGE, Japanese Konro, NOLA proud.
  • I love my Thermopop too. $29 and backlit. It's 1 second slower than my thermapen and my pen has been in the shop to get repaired 2 times. Still like it but it's not worth $100 more than the pop (for the backlit)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited October 2016
    Is there any advantage to the thermopen vs. just using the meat temp sensor on a BBQguru or other temperature controller?  Just wondering 
    Because it's instant. Good for steaks, burgers etc. 

I dont touch my thermapen on brisket or pork. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Is there any advantage to the thermopen vs. just using the meat temp sensor on a BBQguru or other temperature controller?  Just wondering 

What he said. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    I love my Thermopop too. $29 and backlit. It's 1 second slower than my thermapen and my pen has been in the shop to get repaired 2 times. Still like it but it's not worth $100 more than the pop (for the backlit)
    I thought about one of those, may pick one up at some point. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Is there any advantage to the thermopen vs. just using the meat temp sensor on a BBQguru or other temperature controller?  Just wondering 

Ah I see, so simple, so simple, Thanks!
    Medium BGE, Japanese Konro, NOLA proud.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

I like the autosleep / autowake function on the Mk4.  It's convenient not to have to fold in and unfold it every time you want to use it.

Lavatools Javelin Pro - seemed just as responsive as a Themapen.  I liked the magnet on the back.

themapop - works great too, heck of a lot of bang for the buck

Lots of nice equipment out there!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    The only way to cook. Totally changed my outcomes.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• tikigriller
    I used both yesterday. Meat temp from the flame boss on the tip until 110, then removed and reversed seared it and used the thermapen for the temp readings at the end until I got my desire. Was very happy to have both. 

Livermore, California
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I love my Thermopop too. $29 and backlit. It's 1 second slower than my thermapen and my pen has been in the shop to get repaired 2 times. Still like it but it's not worth $100 more than the pop (for the backlit)
    CT speaks the truth on this^^^^.  I have a pop that I use for most everything except steak and that is where the pen comes in. Prolly not necessary but that's the way I do it.  The pop also travels with me when I take the egg somewhere.  It's a whole lot easier to loose $29 than $100.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.