Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made a batch of ABTs - Where's the fire extinguisher?

Moni-Q
Moni-Q Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made a batch of a couple of dozen ABT's yesterday that must have had some extra-hot jalapenos! I removed all of the seeds and veining, but boy, were they hot![p]My husband, who occasionally eats a raw habanero, thought they were only mildly spicy while I felt like my mouth was melting. Needless to say, I only ate one, and he's noshing on them like they're candy.[p]Any suggestions on hwo to turn down the heat on those things?[p][p]Monica[p]

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Moni-Q,
    The longer you cook them, the more heat they lose. Maybe next time, throw half on for a bit, then add the rest? Some hot, some not so hot. I like mine crisp and hot like your hubby....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Moni-Q,[p]Sometimes you can find jalapeno peppers that have started to turn colors from green to red. When they are fully mature, they are red and a little more sweet and less hot than the green ones. It's also generally true that larger peppers are less hot than smaller ones, even within the same variety.[p]Another idea is to cook them longer. More cooking tends to cut down on the heat. Another possibility is to cook them and then refrigerate overnight. Then reheat the next day in foil in the oven. Reheating tends to cut down on the spicy heat. I find the same thing is true with leftover chili.[p]In the end, some peppers are hotter than others. Good luck.
  • Moni-Q
    Moni-Q Posts: 22
    Thanks for the info, y'all![p]I used the largest jalapenos I could find - 4-6 inch monsters that weighed in at several ounces apiece. I cooked them for 60-minutes - The bacon was beginning to turn black, it had cooked so long.[p]The only jalapenos I've seen are green, so that's what I've been getting.[p]A friend of mine said the jalapenos are hotter this year than usual, so that may be part of it. [p]I'll try the overnight suggestion - I'd never heard of it - Hope it works![p]My husband likes the ABTs so much he's making suggestions for all kinds of fillings - Chorizo, for example.[p]
    Monica

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Moni-Q,[p]I guess your hubby and I would get along...I make my ABT's with habanero's....yuuummmy!

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Moni-Q,
    Make some with japlapenos and some with banana peppers. Add your heat to the stuffing for the ones made from banana peppers. Good luck, Tom

• Jackbythesea
    Jackbythesea Posts: 102
    Wardster,
    After you clean the seeds and veins, rinse them under the faucet before you stuff them. Works for me!
    Jack

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Moni-Q, After I de-seed and de-vein the jalapenos, I thoroughly rinse the juices from the inside of the pepper. This definitely tames them. Usually, they are more like green peppers than chilies after that. Some jalapenos, however, are just plain HOT. Scott