Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Daisy wheel question and more. . .

Hog Euker
Hog Euker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I was watching the bowl games at my brothers and the daisy wheel on his egg was in bad shape. What is the best method for cleaning and maintaining the daisy wheel? Also, I am gonna try my hand a pizza again. I was planning on using some bacon as one of my toppings. Do I need to pre-cook the bacon since I like it crispy? Thanks!

Comments

• Hog Euker, soak Miss Daisy overnight in a container of household ammonia and brush clean in morning under a facuet. As for the bacon, raw won't work, but I smoke a pound at a time and then stack the pieces with freezer paple strips between them and refreeze. Hickory smoked baon pieces on a pizza is a super taste kicker IMHO!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    one feral kat,
    I like the bacon idea..and your on the money on the ammonia tip. I use a large coffee can and the large BGE top fits nicely top down inside it. Dump in some ammonia, and put the plastic top back on to seal it. Slosh and sit for 24 hours or so. Clean as you suggested. Should be clean as a whistle..or close!
    C~W

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Hog Euker,[p]I would not think the bacon will cook crispy if placed on the pizza raw. My pies cook for 12-14 min (I do large 12" ones) and you won't get crispy bacon in that time. It does crispy up the pepperoni real well with 550-575 dome temps. [p]As far as cleaning the daisy - I guess after 2 years (had a plain daisy for one year) my slide daisy still doesn't need cleaning and I have never cleaned it. I do pizza and steaks often - both with the vent open and the slide daisy wide open which will give a max dome temp of 575-600 deg which is just what you need for steaks and pizza. This is all my slide daisy needs to be cleaned. Same with the grid.[p]Tim M
    flames1.gif

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Hog Euker,
    Am thinking a quick whap with some spray on oven cleaner would do it, too. Spray it, let it sit, wipe it a little and rinse it off. [p]Jeez...now I need to go look at my daisy wheel. Another stress factor!

• MollyShark,
    I sure wouldn't use the oven cleaner on it! The household ammonia trick works fantastic and then just rinse it off with plain water! No fuss, no muss! Plus, no lingering oven cleaner odors during the next couple of cooks! Just IMOP though![p]Dr. Chicken

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Hog Euker, I put mine in the dishwasher, It came out cleaner than new.[p]
    Mop