Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck tender roast vs chuck roast?

Options
Is there actually a difference? Picked up what is labeled as a tender roast on clearance, does t look like a typical chuckie, so I'm unsure how to treat it. 

Let me me know if anyone has any suggestions, thanks!

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    IMHO  it doesn't look like a chuck roast to me.  I do like the sticker that says USDA inspected. All meat sold to the public is USDA  inspected
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    IMHO  it doesn't look like a chuck roast to me.  I do like the sticker that says USDA inspected. All meat sold to the public is USDA  inspected
    Agree, cooked many chuck roasts and it doesn't resemble it all
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I cook a chuck roast almost every week, and that is not one.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• feef706
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Chuck eye but it does list a Chuck tender as the same cut on this beef explanation site?
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    Ask the in-store butcher?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @feef706
    Brother 706, more often than not, when you see the nomenclature "tender" or "eye" used in a supermarket setting, it usually denotes the meat came from the center of the primal or the subprimal whichever the case may be. This is not 100% true across the board, but it is true 99% of the time, at least in the USA.
    To be perfectly clear I'm speaking of cuts sold at local grocery stores to everyday consumers. The nomenclature can and does vary in a slaughterhouse or meat breaking/processing center. But that's a whole different ballgame all together.  
    What you have in the picture above was cut from the teres minor of a beef chuck primal. As such, my usage of "center" above certainly applies in this case. I hope that this helps my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• feef706
    Options
    SGH said:
    @feef706
    Brother 706, more often than not, when you see the nomenclature "tender" or "eye" used in a supermarket setting, it usually denotes the meat came from the center of the primal or the subprimal whichever the case may be. This is not 100% true across the board, but it is true 99% of the time, at least in the USA.
    To be perfectly clear I'm speaking of cuts sold at local grocery stores to everyday consumers. The nomenclature can and does vary in a slaughterhouse or meat breaking/processing center. But that's a whole different ballgame all together.  
    What you have in the picture above was cut from the teres minor of a beef chuck primal. As such, my usage of "center" above certainly applies in this case. I hope that this helps my friend. 

So your recommendation for cooking the piece is?!?! I appreciate your explanation and I have a lot of learning when it comes to different cuts, but really just need to learn the best way to cook the little slab
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've cooked a cut called "Chuck Beef Tender" which is cylindrical in shape.  It cooks very much like the flat chick roast but has less fat. We like it cooked as a Pot Roast with liquid and vegetables in a dutch oven. We get this cut at our BJs or at Restaurant Depot - they are generally much cheaper than the flat chuck roast and take a little longer to cook - probably due to less fat.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • feef706
    Options
    @Shiff thanks for the advice, found an article on it, think she is headed for the pressure cooker and it hopefully will render some good taco meat.

Good article for anyone wanting to know more about the Chuck tender not being tender at all...

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/fl/The-Beef-Chuck-Tender-Not-Tender-At-All.htm
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Very hard to get - it is from the clod, usually like a larger pork tenderloin. Was a post a few months ago - on the left side of the GWN my Safeway butcher calls them Scotch tenderloins or Petite tenderloin. (i told him the Scotch is cheaper, the French name adds $3/pound) 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • feef706
    Options
    From here on out I'll stick to my normal chuckies, this thing had a gnarly silver skin on the underside, hard to remove without mangling the meat
  • feef706
    Options
    Well the pressure cooker tenderized the meat fine. 75 mins at high pressure with some broth and salsa and it tasted great for tacos, but still plan to stick to my chuckies so I can get some smoke flavor on the egg.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    feef706 said:
    @Shiff thanks for the advice, found an article on it, think she is headed for the pressure cooker and it hopefully will render some good taco meat.

Good article for anyone wanting to know more about the Chuck tender not being tender at all...

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/fl/The-Beef-Chuck-Tender-Not-Tender-At-All.htm
    The article talked about them costing $9.99/pound.  I pay around $3.69 for them at BJs in a cryovac package. I do have to remove the silver skin, but with a proper knife that doesn't take too long. I use them to make Pot Roadt in a dutch over on the Egg and they taste great - I think they come out better than the flat Chuck Roast which have a  lot of fat.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    USDA Inspected is code for 'Select'.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I don't trust meat that is that reduced that much. 

Looks like it's turning already.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• feef706
    Options
    I don't trust meat that is that reduced that much. 

Looks like it's turning already.
    It sat in my fridge for a week after buying it which is why it was so dark in color, it was plenty red when I bought it.