Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chinese shouldn't be intimidating.. Simple meal with pictures for those interested.

Options

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    Looks wonderful and may give that a shot. I was looking through the list of ingredients to see if I have everything as I am not real familiar with some Asian ingredients. I do not know what "Symbal" is, nor could I find it with a quick search. What is it and is it important or is there a substitute? Thanks.
    Thanks!  

My apologies, I spelled that incorrectly.  It's Sambal Oelek.  Stuff is the chronic!  

Image result for sambal oelek

Ah! That stuff! I am familiar with it. Thought I had some so ran to the fridge. I have Vietnamese Chili Garlic sauce/paste. Similar? Same? Oh well, outta ginger and no broccoli, so a trip to the store is in order under any circumstances.

Thanks.
    You could probably get by with that, but this has no garlic.  You could hold back on the garlic some if using that.  
    I'll give it a shot. Packaging is virtually identical to the photo you posted - different store perhaps?
    There's different varieties, and they could package for others I suppose.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    looks amazing, just seasoned by wok yesterday...looking forward to its first cook!  any tips on cleaning up any excess buildup after use?  Do you use salt to scrub it off?

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    You shouldn't have a lot of excess buildup. All I do after I plate my dish, is pour some water in it, let it heat up a little, give it a scrub with the cleaning brush, dump the water, and wipe it out with a paper towel. Done.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    looks amazing, just seasoned by wok yesterday...looking forward to its first cook!  any tips on cleaning up any excess buildup after use?  Do you use salt to scrub it off?
    Most times I just use a paper towel and wipe out well.  If something has a lot of sugar in it, I'll use the Ringer to break the stuff loose.  

Image result for ringer cast iron cleaner
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    Looks wonderful and may give that a shot. I was looking through the list of ingredients to see if I have everything as I am not real familiar with some Asian ingredients. I do not know what "Symbal" is, nor could I find it with a quick search. What is it and is it important or is there a substitute? Thanks.
    Thanks!  

My apologies, I spelled that incorrectly.  It's Sambal Oelek.  Stuff is the chronic!  

Ah! That stuff! I am familiar with it. Thought I had some so ran to the fridge. I have Vietnamese Chili Garlic sauce/paste. Similar? Same? Oh well, outta ginger and no broccoli, so a trip to the store is in order under any circumstances.

Thanks.
    You could probably get by with that, but this has no garlic.  You could hold back on the garlic some if using that.  
    I'll give it a shot. Packaging is virtually identical to the photo you posted - different store perhaps?
    Huy Fong also sells a chili garlic sauce. I prefer and use a LOT more of it than their sambal oelek (and I'll still add more garlic :) ).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    You shouldn't have a lot of excess buildup. All I do after I plate my dish, is pour some water in it, let it heat up a little, give it a scrub with the cleaning brush, dump the water, and wipe it out with a paper towel. Done.
    Bart1434 said:
    Most times I just use a paper towel and wipe out well.  If something has a lot of sugar in it, I'll use the Ringer to break the stuff loose.  

Image result for ringer cast iron cleaner

Thanks as always! 

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Awesome cook, I need to get a spider for my XL so I can use my wok after seeing this. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Great looking cook Matt!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    Thanks!  

Thanks.
    Huy Fong also sells a chili garlic sauce. I prefer and use a LOT more of it than their sambal oelek (and I'll still add more garlic :) ).

That's the stuff. Making it now. Got the sauce done and double checking the first post (ok, triple, quadruple checking it, step-by-step  =) )
    South SLO County
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great cook! Someday I'll get a wok. Just seems like a lot of work!

^^^ that chili garlic sauce is awesome. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration Matt. I pulled out the wok myself tonight. Been a long time since I've used the wok since I got the BS. I really enjoyed it. I was getting bored with the same old rotation on the eggs. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Great cook! Someday I'll get a wok. Just seems like a lot of work!

^^^ that chili garlic sauce is awesome. 
    I banged that meal out pretty quickly actually.  Since cooking Chinese at home, there's not many Chinese restaurants we'll go to now.  It's really no more work that firing the Egg up for a steak.  DoubleEgger said:
    Thanks for the inspiration Matt. I pulled out the wok myself tonight. Been a long time since I've used the wok since I got the BS. I really enjoyed it. I was getting bored with the same old rotation on the eggs. 
    Sweet buddy!  I'm glad I inspired someone.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    HeavyG said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    Thanks!  

Thanks.

That's the stuff. Making it now. Got the sauce done and double checking the first post (ok, triple, quadruple checking it, step-by-step  =) )
    Standing by my friend.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

I just mentioned to my wife that I want to try stir fry on the egg.  Got a wok, need to see if it'll fit with the spider....

Looks delicious!  I'm sure I'll screw something up in the process.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    Options

I just mentioned to my wife that I want to try stir fry on the egg.  Got a wok, need to see if it'll fit with the spider....

Looks delicious!  I'm sure I'll screw something up in the process.

You can always just sit the wok on your grate too.  I do that on my medium.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SoCalWJS
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    HeavyG said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    Thanks!  

Thanks.

Standing by my friend.  
    Thank you sir! Done! Came out pretty good. Need to practice a bit more. I added Snow Peas as my wife doesn't care for broccoli. I overcooked the veggies a bit, but not too bad. I let the sauce get away from me for a minute and it boiled pretty hard - flavor wasn't quite the same afterwards. Other than that.... will try again. I liked the flavor of the sauce (before it boiled).
    No pictures.
    South SLO County
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    i very intimated with american cookage.  american fire grill makes sparks like electric fire incidence - sparking is badness.  teaching good culinary is universe good expansion heal.  good see to ultimate instruction on cooking china goodness
    Epic Matt!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks outstanding. Damn. I need to get something going on my wok. I pulled it out of a box after the move and put it where its in plane sight in the garage so I will see it every time I leave or come home and when I walk by, I just shake my head in sadness. So many cooks, so little time...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    i very intimated with american cookage.  american fire grill makes sparks like electric fire incidence - sparking is badness.  teaching good culinary is universe good expansion heal.  good see to ultimate instruction on cooking china goodness
    Haha.. Go to bed NOLA, you're drunk (or were now).  

I know you're aware, but even with wok cooking, knowing how your Egg works with adjustments helps tremendously when wok cooking.  It takes a bit of practice and a little burnt hair.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    HeavyG said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    Thanks!  

Thanks.

Standing by my friend.  
    Thank you sir! Done! Came out pretty good. Need to practice a bit more. I added Snow Peas as my wife doesn't care for broccoli. I overcooked the veggies a bit, but not too bad. I let the sauce get away from me for a minute and it boiled pretty hard - flavor wasn't quite the same afterwards. Other than that.... will try again. I liked the flavor of the sauce (before it boiled).
    No pictures.
    Well, I normally give folks slack for not posting pictures, but I'll not raz you on this one.  

Glad you enjoyed it.  Having the right fire helps with scorching.  Did you happen to close the bottom vent while cooking?  That helps with not having an inferno fire.  I'll add that I typically don't have a raging fire when starting.  Maybe around 400-450° to heat the wok up nicely.  I'll even close the dome at start up.  When you're cooking though, I'll close the bottom vent.  It's not needed really as the fire is getting O2 from where the lid is open.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Epic Matt!!!
    Thanks John!  

Griffin said:
    Looks outstanding. Damn. I need to get something going on my wok. I pulled it out of a box after the move and put it where its in plane sight in the garage so I will see it every time I leave or come home and when I walk by, I just shake my head in sadness. So many cooks, so little time...
    Thanks @Griffin .  At the age of our little ones, time is hard to come by.  Wouldn't trade it for the world.  Someone said above to the tune of that's neat but too much time.  Wok cooking is one of the faster meals, IMHO.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Oh for sure it is, I just need to get my wok reseasoned. I think its been sitting on the side lines for probably 2.5 years. I think I saw some rust on it. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    alright, so if I wanted to try this "chinese wok" cooking, what equipment do I need to do this?  like what size and kind of wok?  spider for L BGE?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SoCalWJS
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    HeavyG said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    SoCalWJS said:
    Thanks!  

Thanks.

Standing by my friend.  
    No pictures.
    Well, I normally give folks slack for not posting pictures, but I'll not raz you on this one.  

Glad you enjoyed it.  Having the right fire helps with scorching.  Did you happen to close the bottom vent while cooking?  That helps with not having an inferno fire.  I'll add that I typically don't have a raging fire when starting.  Maybe around 400-450° to heat the wok up nicely.  I'll even close the dome at start up.  When you're cooking though, I'll close the bottom vent.  It's not needed really as the fire is getting O2 from where the lid is open.  
    Not a huge picture taker on new things - it's easy enough for me to screw up when I'm learning w/o thinking, "gee, what setting should I use"?.

Yeah, I closed the vent at the bottom when the serious cooking began. That sucker gets plenty hot w/o the bottom vent being open. Learned that one early on. My mistake was that I went ahead and steamed the broccoli and the snow peas in a bamboo steamer for a couple of minutes before they went into the wok. I think I'll skip that next time and just cook them a bit longer in the wok. I think broccoli were just a but too cooked at their tips. Snow peas should have been cut in half (per my wife).

May substitute some thin sliced beef next time.
    South SLO County
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:

May substitute some thin sliced beef next time.
    It will work just as well with beef too.  If it were me, I'd call that beef w/broccoli..... :lol:

I made sure when I par cooked the broccoli, it was still very firm.  I used the rice cooker steamer (while the rice was cooking) and only went about 5-7 mins only.  I thought if it was still hard, I'd add a little water in the wok to help, but that wasn't the case.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    edited October 2016
    Options
    blind99 said:
    alright, so if I wanted to try this "chinese wok" cooking, what equipment do I need to do this?  like what size and kind of wok?  spider for L BGE?
    For the wok, I'll page @theyolksonyou .  His works well on his large.  Mine has a handle instead of the rings on each side.  I use mine until it cannot function, which I hope is never.  My Mom bought me that wok and was already seasoned well before the Egg came along.  So I didn't buy another one, just used what I had.  

You'll need a spider from Tom.  

If you want a wok spatula works well too, however I just use a cheap regular spatula and do just fine, except for the occasional razzing of my tools by the peanut gallery.  Lol
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @blind99 large spider legs down for me. 16" carbon steel wok from Amazon. D ring handles. That way you can close the lid if need be. Follow seasoning videos from the wok shop site and your off to the races. Oh and you'll want some good insulated gloves. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @blind99 large spider legs down for me. 16" carbon steel wok from Amazon. D ring handles. That way you can close the lid if need be. Follow seasoning videos from the wok shop site and your off to the races. Oh and you'll want some good insulated gloves. 
    Plus 10 on the gloves.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Plus 10 on the gloves.
    I'll add another +10 on gloves.  Get the high cuff ones.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site