Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever rub a pork butt with Jerk marinade?

Like Walkerswood paste or maybe homemade? I have a jar of WW Hot as well as all the ingredients for homemade. I have a butt in the fridge (a picnic actually) and I usually do the typical Eastern NC thing, but I wondered it jerk would work. It's great on pork chops (maybe even better than on chicken) so I don't see why it wouldn't work on pulled pork, but I thought I'd ask for opinions before I spent 12-15 hours potentially ruining a big hunk of meat. I'll have to do quite a bit of trimming  first (picnic), then maybe score and smear the goop on. Might let it sit overnight and put it on the egg in the morning.

Anyone have an opinion? Thanks!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Opinions are like...but I'm sure it would make for quite a great bark.  I am out of the WW paste but have used a jerk rub on pork tenderloin and ribs.  Never gave a butt the thought.  No way you can ruin the cook with just the bark.
    Give it a run and enjoy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    That seems wonderful.  The heat from the WW Hot will simmer down with the longer cook.  I usually add some EVOO to spread it out.

I wouldn't hesitate.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2016
    I have never rubbed a butt with it. But I have rubbed picnics, loins and tenderloins with it. One of my wife's favorites is jerked tenderloin. I'm pretty fond of it myself. It works great on all 3 so I presume it would work equally well on a butt. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Do it!

my concern would be surface area to volume of a butt means dilution of flavor from the surface, so maybe dilute some paste and inject a bit as well?
  • I've done a tenderloin and finished it with pineapple glaze. It was killer. I say roll the dice.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Yes 5, No 0........ so far!

As for injecting, I have no injector. =) Maybe I'll "stab it with my steely knife" and try to kill the beast (I mean, work it in that way). Then again, I have the same surface to volume ratio with Eastern NC rub and that always turns out great.

Done deal. Thanks guys.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Go for it. Consider making some deep gashes in the butt so the marinade/paste can get in there. Are you going to pull, slice, or chop? Don't think it could turn out badly whichever way you plan to serve it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Done. Deep gashes with a boning knife, on a sheet pan and wrapped with plastic wrap. Will put it on the egg in the morning. Planning to pull, but might chop - depends on how done it is when I get hungry!

Speaking of the boning knife, this thing seems like it has a LOT of bone. I don't buy picnics often, usually butts. Are they ALL boney? Maybe that's why it was only 99¢! =)

Thanks!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I like the idea, a lot.  Look forward to your verdict.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    edited October 2016
    Wish I had some pimento branches and a bunch of bay leaves. Guess I'll just have to settle. =) Anxious to taste the result!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Yes 5, No 0........ so far!

As for injecting, I have no injector. =) Maybe I'll "stab it with my steely knife" and try to kill the beast (I mean, work it in that way). Then again, I have the same surface to volume ratio with Eastern NC rub and that always turns out great.

Done deal. Thanks guys.
    I would have thought you were more of an Elvis/Big Bopper/Perry Como fan. Eagles are pretty, how do I put it, young for you aren't they Michael? I would cube the meat from the picnic and marinate it for two days in the jerk. Then do a reverse sear with a long low period with persimmon wood basting with the walkerswood. Serve the chunks over rice and peas. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Ooooh @Little Steven that just made me think jerk burnt ends.  That's where this should go.  I may pick up some pork for the weekend.
  • Carolina Q
    Little Steven said:

I would have thought you were more of an Elvis/Big Bopper/Perry Como fan. Eagles are pretty, how do I put it, young for you aren't they Michael? I would cube the meat from the picnic and marinate it for two days in the jerk. Then do a reverse sear with a long low period with persimmon wood basting with the walkerswood. Serve the chunks over rice and peas. 
    Well, smart ass, I did like Como. =) The Big Bopper died when I was 12 years old. Elvis sucked (though I did enjoy Blue Hawaii. And that was because of Joan Blackman). Where does one find persimmon? I know where there's one tree, but I'd have to go back to my Granddad's house.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Little Steven said:

Well, smart ass, I did like Como. =) The Big Bopper died when I was 12 years old. Elvis sucked (though I did enjoy Blue Hawaii. And that was because of Joan Blackman). Where does one find persimmon? I know where there's one tree, but I'd have to go back to my Granddad's house.
    On board with Joan too.  Great flick.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I have used Jerk marinade many times on my pork shoulder as I have bunch of Jamaican friends who are very easily impressed with the Jerked pulled pork I make. I use this recipe often: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/jerk-pork-recipe.html
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
    edited October 2016
    Pork loves jerk, and jerk loves pork. Why is this even a question? Take some pics so we can know it really happened, and i hope it's not in your (how do I say it delicately.... your Oven).
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Yep- this is a winner.  Jerked pork is one of life's wonderful treats.  Give it a try- you won't be sorry. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Carolina Q
    Pork loves jerk, and jerk loves pork. Why is this even a question? Take some pics so we can know it really happened, and i hope it's not in your (how do I say it delicately.... your Oven).
    LOL, I only did my first jerk anything a few months ago, What do I know?! But this'll happen... and NOT in my oven. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Sounds great to me! I just watched a Malcolm Reed vid of a "carnitas" treatment to a large pork Butt. Scored deeply prior to a 12 hour marinade. Looked so good. A change-up is welcome once in a while no matter how good the NC style is!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I did one with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk once. Best.  Butt.  Ever.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    So.....how did it turn out?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Carolina Q
    Beats me, still cookin'. Looks good so far, but it'll be a while.

at 175°IT...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Love it. That would make great tacos or anything really. Great post. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Standing by, as they say.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Legume said:
    Ooooh @Little Steven that just made me think jerk burnt ends.  That's where this should go.  I may pick up some pork for the weekend.

I was thinking more of a pork steak kind of consistency but the ends would work too. Any jerk pork I've ever had had a little chew to  it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON