Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What went wrong?

Options
I attempted my first cook on my BGE yesterday.  Boston Butts 2.8lbs and 3.4lbs.  Things started out well, I put the rub (Memphis Dust Recipe from amazingribs.com)  on the night before.  Got up early and started my coals and go my temp steady between 224-229.  I was aiming for 225.  Once I got the temp steady I put on the butts and let em ride.  I was able to keep the temps between 220-239 the entire cook.  I only opened the grill once to put on the jalepenos and sausage about an hour and a half prior to being done (see pic).  I did not use the foil method to power through the stall and my ultimate goal was 193 degrees internal temperature.  Everything went as expected except the bark.  What you can see in the picture is about what it looked like when pulled off the egg.  I was wondering why I didn't get the nice dark bark that we all love.  Also, how do you incorporate your wood chunks into your coals so that you get enough smoke?  I added mine around where I initially lit the fire, which was right in the center.  Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    My observations.

Shoot for a 250 dome temperature, its a lot easier to maintain.

I never saw butts as small as the ones you have, most times they are in the 7lbs+ range so cook time was a lot shorter then normal for a butt and that could affect the bark.

I shoot for closer to 200 internal temperature, again giving a longer cook time.

Aside from bark, the most important part is how did they taste? Did they almost fall apart on their own? If not your thermometer may be off and they weren't done.

• xanderbbq
    Options
    They got a good response from the company we had over, but I wasn't pleased.  Not totally disappointed though.  Believe it or not, these took almost 7 hours.  As far as tenderness, they were ok, but they needed a little work with the bear claws.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Most importantly, how did they taste? That's really all that matters unless you practicing for competition. Smoke looks light, but that could the type of wood as well as the amount. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Only going to 193º is most likely the reason for them not being as tender as you would like.  Although there is variability, I think you will find that most pork butts need to get to 200º or so for tenderness.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• xanderbbq
    Options
    The taste was decent, but I know it could have been better.  Also, these butts were vacuum sealed and frozen for about 4 months.  That might have something to do with the tenderness. I used Hickory, as I was out of apple which I normally prefer on pork.  I'm thinking there may not have been enough wood. (Insert Michael Scott Joke Here)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I coat mine with yellow mustard before adding the rub, and cook at 250.  Finish at 200 internal and/or when the bone will pull free easily. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• xanderbbq
    Options
    Thank you @jtcBoynton .  Next time I will get there. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    xanderbbq said:
    ... As far as tenderness, they were ok, but they needed a little work with the bear claws.
    That proves they weren't done.  Some things you cook to temp, but some things you cook to tenderness, not temperature, and pork butt (and ribs) you don't pull off the grill until they are demonstrably tender enough, regardless of their temperature.  With ribs you use the bend or toothpick test, but with pork butt you just probe them and you keep them smoking until the probe goes in "like buttah," as they say.

I strongly agree with @Hungry Joe that I just get better results at a dome temp of 250° or higher.  I usually aim for 250°-275°.  I feel like I get better smoke flavor, and that 200°-225° might be best for an offset stick burner, but it's too low for my BGEs.

As far as wood chunks, everybody seems to have different methods that work best for them.  I've tried scattering chips throughout the lump, but it didn't work as well for me as bigger chunks, a few deep and mostly central, and a few on top sort of radially around the center.

Again, I think the biggest issue in your cook was that they weren't done, as demonstrated by the fact that they didn't pull easily.  With the dome temp as low as you kept it, they probably would have needed longer than 7h.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Seven hours is too short, at 225

it isn't a linear relationship. If you see two hours and a half hours per pound on avarage for a cook time at 225 (and that is what i recall when i did them at Elder Ward's temp of 225), that does NOT mean a butt weighing 2.5 pounds will only take an hour

go 250. And longer. 

If it doesn't look done, or feel done, or taste done, it ain't. Done. 
  • xanderbbq
    Options
    Thank you all for the information.  Next cook I will go between 250-275 until an internal temp of 200-203 (if it passes the probe test).  

Any ideas on how to get a better bark?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I honestly don't think it cooked long enough by the looks of it.  It looks underdone.  If you're running at 225° or so, it takes forever and a day, since the butt of mass must reach roughly 200°-205° to pull.  

The probe you have looks like it's not in very far either (guess it could be a longer probe along with the smaller butt you have (this sounds weird, sorry)).

Run a little warmer (250-275°), and make sure your probe is in well (not on the bone too).   

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    xanderbbq said:
    Thank you all for the information.  Next cook I will go between 250-275 until an internal temp of 200-203 (if it passes the probe test).  

you'll have better bark after cooking it that long.

sugars in the surface of the meat, proteins too, need to carbonize (and no, to the sticklers, that's not the same as burning). 

some folks get more of that by using more rub, binders (mustard), and making sure there is some sugar in it.

but you will get a drier darker surface from just the extended time required to hit 200-205 internal
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Did you have water in that drip pan? If so that will effect your bark. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    With regard to smoke I'll tell you what I've experienced. When my dome temperature is below 250 I get very little smoke. What I mean is that my wood chunks actually stop - or at least drastically reduce smoking. When I bump the temps to 250 I start getting smoke again. 
    I don't know the thermodynamics. I do know that time and again this is what I experience. It's also easier to keep my egg at 250 and above than at any lower temperature. For those reasons I never try to cook below 250 degrees.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • xanderbbq
    Options
    Did you have water in that drip pan? If so that will effect your bark. 
    I did not put any water in the drip pans
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Just go a little hotter and be liberal with your rub
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    xanderbbq said:

Bigger shoulder for a longer cook time is my guess. 7 hours just isn't enough for it to get there I think. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    finished temps are nothing but a guide.  next time thou cook turn the temp gauge away from you when you stick the butt and ignore what the temp is and when it probes like butter then it's done......temps could be anywhere from low 190's to 205......it will "let loose" when it's done and you will be much happier with the end product.  
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    My observation is the smaller pieces of meat take more time per pound than larger ones.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I agree with above, a pork butt can handle a lot more heat and at 225 it will take some time.  With large cuts of meat like pork butt and brisket you are going to have a stall that could last for hours.  I cooked a brisket over night Saturday into Sunday and it was in a stall at 153 for about 4 hours or so.  Went to bed at 12:30 when it was 153, got up at 7:30 and it was only 163.  Now the egg had gone done from 235 to 205 over night so I opened it up and got it to 265-275 to get it done.

As for more bark, use a binder for the rub may help.  I mostly use yellow mustard, don't worry you won't taste it or olive oil then the rub.  Injecting can add flavor, but can slow the cooking process down especially if you are cooking at 225.

I agree you need to put your probe in deeper into the meat to get a better reading.  When the meat gets to 195 is when I start probing.  When it probes like butter it is ready to be pulled.  Let it rest for for 20 minutes or so before you pull it to let the juices come  back into it.

Another thing I like to do with with pork butts is pork burnt ends.   You take it to 165-170, pull let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes wrapped in foil.  Cut it up into 1" cubes, put them in a pan with some sauce and put them back on for about 2 hours.  Stir them about every 30 to 45 minutes.  I like doing this now more then pulled pork.

Your cook looks good and like others said taste is most important.  We are all our own worst critic, I am on my self.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.