Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peking Duck

Had some friends over for dinner Saturday night.   The wife wanted to do an Asian theme.  I had a duck in the freezer.  Peking Duck was the call for the appetizer.  I have done this a few times in the past but I was really happy with the results this time.

Thawed and ready to get started

Trimmed and getting a bath (water, honey, vinegar, sherry) to blanch the skin.  Spooned over the water to get good coverage.

Hang it up to dry for about 7 hours...

On to the grill.   350* indirect

1 Hours 45 mins later (with a flip and a turn or two)

Carved and ready to eat

-smak

smak
Leesburg, VA

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Looking solid right there. I'll shoot em. You cook em

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Wow, I am drooling. Look's fantastic, did you coat or baste with anything during the cook?
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    @CincyTiki no coating or basting during the cook.  Between the blanching  and drying the skin afterwards it results in the nice mahogany color while it cooks.  
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Wow!
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    The color on that is great. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Wow. Just happened to have a duck in the freezer isn't something that would happen around here. Then to have a full day to prepare. Never happen. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks great. Peking duck on of our favorites, do it for New Years. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    The color is really nice. I'd be all over that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Nice, great skin colour and texture, thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Nice cook! I've been wanting to try duck since a cruise a few years back. Family not in board yet but those pics might do the trick. 

How long is is the blanching? How do you know when your done at that step?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • that's great.

you can steam the whole thing at once (as opposed to immersing in water), by putting it in a colander inside a large pot with a lid and enough water to steam without touching the bird.

that would just simplify your first step.  but your looks fantastic.  i love duck.  can only get the frozen ones around here.
  • smak
    @BilZol The blanching just takes a couple minutes.   You get the water boiling.  Add in the honey, sherry, cornstarch.  Let everything come back to a boil.   Put the duck in and spooned over the mixture over a few times.   Flipped the duck and spooned over the mixture a few times.  I did the front a back twice.  Total time was probably 3-4 minutes.

@JustineCaseyFeldown I have read about that technique.  I just don't have a big enough pot to try that inside.  By the time I get out the bigger pots and propane tanks the simplicity goes away :)  I guess I could make a purchase to solve that issue ;)

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Simply amazing.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• re the larger pot and propane.... we just did these in a stove top pot with a collander in it.  but i quartered the duck.  i think this was an alton brown recipe. 

wasn't peking duck of course this way. 

but the point being i think, any small amount of water in a vessel large enough to hold the duck above the water would let you steam it.  even a roasting pan used on stove top

the color on yours is perfect by the way.

if you dry chicken overnight, or a couple days (even without blanching), you can get nice crisp bite through skin.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man that looks incredible.  I have never cooked duck but I want to try it.  Did you just have it hanging at room temp?  It looks like you started with an empty pan.  Is that all duck fat in the pan or did you use some liquid?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smak
    @JustineCaseyFeldown   ahhh I see what you are saying I might try that in the future.

@SmokeyPitt  It is hung at room temperature.   I typically do this in the storage room in the basement because that is the coolest room in the house.  I also turn on a fan directly at the duck to keep the air moving.

It is hard to see but I did start with some water in the pan.  I almost went without water but decided to have water since that is the way I have done it in the past.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • kbr718
    kbr718 Posts: 74
    Looks awesome!
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Dude that looks great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    I collect and freeze the fat from the pan!
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nice Gary. Damn nice!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beautiful bird! Makes me want to try it now. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,060
    That's on the list of things to try. Did you cook to an internal temp, or by time? I see you put 1h45m, just wondered if that's how long it took to reach an internal temp.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Verry nice!

@Stormbringer I go by approximate time and coloring for this cook.  The crispy skin is an important element of the dish.  If you go by temp I believe the general consensus is about 165*.

The recipe I started with was 30 minutes breast up, 45 minutes breast down, 30 mins breast up.  I keep half an eye on it rotate the bird based on any hot spots in the grill.  I pulled is one a little short of the 1h45m mark.

There are some "duck people" who shudder at the thought of taking a duck breast over medium-rare (135*-ish).  Since this is shooting pretty far past that I figure close to the 165 temp is fine.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Stormbringer
    edited October 2016
    Thanks. I was also considering how this would work using a Joetisserie :). But we'll try your method first.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Wow!  Was the duck drying 7 hours at room temp?  Or was that in a walk-in?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Stormbringer
    I was going to try this at the weekend. Only consideration is the hanging of the duck for 7 hours, is this done somewhere cool? I know it's cooked in water for a bit, is that enough to seal the skin so it can hang at room temp? Or should it be hung in a fridge?

• andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    Looks very good, I need to try that! Compare the Peking Duck I had in Beijing (Peking) last week:

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Nice work! Thanks for sharing!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I love duck almost as much as lamb.  And that duck looks fantastic.  Without scoring the skin, did you have a lot of pooled rendered fat under the skin?  I usually score mine so it drains, but then the score marks do not make it look nice. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.