Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Announcement: The 3rd Annual Brisket Camp is October 22, 2016

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Full props to SRF and @Shane.  Perhaps he thinks you will actually learn something about briskets at Camp.  Don't spoil it  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Very cool of @Shane and SRF to do this. One thing I am looking to learn at brisket camp is how to trim them better prior to cooking. I always feel like I butcher them and make a mess. 
    I think that @Eggcelsior is going to lead the Saturday morning class on trimming the fat.  Currently scheduled for 5:30am.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited September 2016
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Very cool of @Shane and SRF to do this. One thing I am looking to learn at brisket camp is how to trim them better prior to cooking. I always feel like I butcher them and make a mess. 
    I think that @Eggcelsior is going to lead the Saturday morning class on trimming the fat.  Currently scheduled for 5:30am.  
     I'll be there. We'll be sure and make plenty of noise to wake up everyone else. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just a heads up that the word on the street is that the B&B on the Point is sold out for the weekend.  Glad I snuck in there!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CTMike said:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Only thing that I can figure is that @SRFShane wants to test the resilience of his outstanding briskets.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just talked to my musician buddy and he's booked two bands for Brisket camp.  We should have live music from 2-6PM on Sat, or until the police come.
    Options
    Nice. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options

Options
    THANK YOU @SRFShane !   He and his company shipped us brisket and ribeye caps!! 

We will be eating these at brisket camp.
    Options
    Shouldn't @SRFShane be going to Brisket Camp?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    He told me he wants to go but can't make it.
    Options
    Options
    @SRFShane,

Very cool thing for you and SRF to do. I've ordered a couple SRF briskets in the past and they never disappoint. Looking forward to some good eats at brisket camp. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @nolaeggheadhow can you keep that in your house for three weeks and NOT cook it until then???  Much more disciplined than 99% of us on here, I guess
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @SRFShane Nicely done Shane and SRF! :clap:  :clap:
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SRFShane
    Options
    Legume said:
    Oh I'd love to, just can't make it this year...but we'll be there in spirit (and in the food!)  

Awesome video @nolaegghead - very fitting for a "Halloween" theme.  

Have fun all!  
  • Foghorn
    Options
    So, who is going to supervise my son +/- some other Tulane undergrad tagalongs +/- my brother-in-law and his wife (and while they love good food, this may not be their cup of tea, but I have encouraged them to stop by even if only to see their nephew)?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think @SGH Scottie's son, Party Monster, would be great to keep an eye on your son and the others.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great news.   I convinced my next door neighbor and fellow egghead but not a forum guy to join me.    Count us in!  We'll be staying at a Hyatt or Hilton property in the French Quarter or Conv Center.   Arriving late Friday afternoon or evening.  Really look forward to meeting everyone and praying @SGH will bring some stuffed chickens and Trump Gear!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    So, who is going to supervise my son +/- some other Tulane undergrad tagalongs +/- my brother-in-law and his wife (and while they love good food, this may not be their cup of tea, but I have encouraged them to stop by even if only to see their nephew)?
    Dan, we'll cordon off a "safe zone" that will be devoid of adult beverages, high cholesterol foods, grass, demagoguery and energy drinks.  I'll assign our Brisket Camp lawyer to keep any potential vices from anyone sequestered in "the pen".  No worries, mate!
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Great news.   I convinced my next door neighbor and fellow egghead but not a forum guy to join me.    Count us in!  We'll be staying at a Hyatt or Hilton property in the French Quarter or Conv Center.   Arriving late Friday afternoon or evening.  Really look forward to meeting everyone and praying @SGH will bring some stuffed chickens and Trump Gear!!!
    Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing you here!
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Dan, we'll cordon off a "safe zone" that will be devoid of adult beverages, high cholesterol foods, grass, demagoguery and energy drinks.  I'll assign our Brisket Camp lawyer to keep any potential vices from anyone sequestered in "the pen".  No worries, mate!
    Yeah, if I tell him that, he won't come. 

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Suggestion:  Don't tell him that.  Or do.  He's a smart kid, would just chock it up to hyperbole, which it is.  In reality, Travis will be manning a make-shift deer blind in the neighbor's tree with a security canon that shoots Arby's roast beast sandwiches as a non-lethal security measure.  As a back up, we have a 2000 watt PA system where we can, (last resort) blast nickleback.  It's like tear gas for misanthropes.  Man, I need to stop with the late night planning.
    Options
    Nickelback will only deter half of the misanthropes, Coldplay will take care of the rest. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Suggestion:  Don't tell him that.  Or do.  He's a smart kid, would just chock it up to hyperbole, which it is.  In reality, Travis will be manning a make-shift deer blind in the neighbor's tree with a security canon that shoots Arby's roast beast sandwiches as a non-lethal security measure.  As a back up, we have a 2000 watt PA system where we can, (last resort) blast nickleback.  It's like tear gas for misanthropes.  Man, I need to stop with the late night planning.

Yeah, I picked up on the hyperbole.  I was just trying to keep the conversation going to see where it might head. 

He enjoys the misanthropes.  That's actually the draw.  I think of myself as a guy who is allowed to explore his misanthropic side when he gets quality time with his son and/or Eggheads.  But I do like Nickelback and Coldplay so that probably speaks more to my baseline. 

For those of you who are seriously into music, if my brother-in-law shows up you should chat with him.  He's a professor at the Berklee College of Music in Boston and a sound engineer who actually has some of original reel-to-reel tracks of some rock classics like "Freebird" and some other stuff. 

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @Foghorn - excellent, we love to talk music.   Perhaps your BIL will want to pick up an instrument and entertain us plebeians.  I'll yell: "FREEBIRD!!"

I have a diverse array of instruments he can choose from....
    Options
    @Foghorn - excellent, we love to talk music.   Perhaps your BIL will want to pick up an instrument and entertain us plebeians.  I'll yell: "FREEBIRD!!"

I have a diverse array of instruments he can choose from....

He doesn't perform much any more.  And never did as a solo act.  He played in a number of bands over the years - mostly on bass, but he can also play guitar.  He teaches sound engineering at this point and loves to talk music - but I can't imagine you'll get him to play.

San Antonio, TX