Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New Cooking System

Options
My neighbor has a KJ Classic and I really like his cooking system when compared to BGE Plate Setter.  I ask him if I could borrow to see if it would fit into my Large BGE.  It did and I have been cooking on this way for two years and love it. Just thought I would share for those struggling with the Plate Setter which I think is very antiquated.  Just my thoughts.  

Auburn, Alabama
BGE.jpg 909.3K

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Interesting. I've got a plate setter. It looks like your setup may be more effective.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You've had your neighbor's KJ cooking grates for 2 years?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• flexfusion
    Options
    NO!  I was so impressed I bought the whole system as you see it in the photo.  It's far superior when compared to the plate setter. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Not sure what I am looking at , can you describe how it works and how it is better?
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    What's it made of? Ceramic and metal? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Not sure what I am looking at , can you describe how it works and how it is better?
    Deets are available on Kamado Joes website. It is their "Divide & Conquer" system: http://www.kamadojoe.com/divide-conquer/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    So, how does this compare to what is available at the Ceramic Grill Store?  And do they have stuff that would fit in an XL BGE?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Looks like my Woo2 and stone.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Its the Kamado Joe divide and conquer set up. You can do raised, direct, indirect, half and half, and it has a hinged end for adding lump or wood chunks during a cook. Don't have one, but have cooked on one. Its pretty cool. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    How was my reply off topic? For explaining what it is and does? P!ss up a rope... 
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I bought the D&C for my Large BGE a couple of years ago and it didn't fit! If you decide to buy it, make sure you buy from a dealer that allows returns. My D&C was a little too big.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Don't worry about the "Off Topic".....  Some fingers on phones click that by accident.....

I've switched to using the CGS Spider and the Pizza Stone for my indirect cooks since it gives more even coverage with fewer heat "volcanoes" where the original PS cuts in.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I agree the plate setter is antiquated.   I'm surprised this isn't voiced more frequently around here. 

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    blasting said:

I agree the plate setter is antiquated.   I'm surprised this isn't voiced more frequently around here. 

BGE just seems set in their ways. What was the last innovation to come from BGE?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    blasting said:

BGE just seems set in their ways. What was the last innovation to come from BGE?
    The beauty of the product is its simplicity. While I whole heartedly agree there are many great add ons and upgrades, the egg can do just about anything you ask of it as they sell it. The good news is the fertile aftermarket opportunity that is created by the crazy eggheads such as you and I. If there is a need and there is a feasible way the need will be met. 

Remember the others are trying to sell their facial tissues while BGE is selling Kleenex. The others are going to have to put some lotion or something on their tissues to overcome the brand issue and track record of satisfied customers.  
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    blasting said:

The beauty of the product is its simplicity. While I whole heartedly agree there are many great add ons and upgrades, the egg can do just about anything you ask of it as they sell it. The good news is the fertile aftermarket opportunity that is created by the crazy eggheads such as you and I. If there is a need and there is a feasible way the need will be met. 

Remember the others are trying to sell their facial tissues while BGE is selling Kleenex. The others are going to have to put some lotion or something on their tissues to overcome the brand issue and track record of satisfied customers.  

No doubt that many (most?) folks that buy a BGE may be quite content with it as is just as many (most?) folks that buy a Weber Kettle may never add any aftermarket goodies to expand/enhance the units capabilities.

If Kleenex® were vastly superior to other facial tissues your analogy might have merit. BGE may still have a big lead in the marketplace due to their larger dealer network but the word is spreading and the market is filling with other vendors that offer the same or better quality and a much better value since they include, as standard, many things that many folks want. Even if they didn't know they wanted them when they first got their cooker. :) 

History is rife with extinct/diminished companies that rested on their laurels while their competitors offered innovations to their stock offerings and developed desirable/useful branded accessories. BGE is a privately held company so I have no idea if their unit sales are increasing, stagnant, declining. Maybe their sales are booming despite the increase in alternatives in the market. Maybe they aren't. Regardless, I would sure hate to see them disappear.

• pgprescott
    Options
    it's brand recognition
  • pgprescott
    Options
    people call facial tissues 
    'Kleenex"
  • pgprescott
    Options
    people call kamados "eggs"
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    It's funny, everyone compares X brand kamado to BGE. When someone has X brand they are always asked if it rates with BGE. They've got a good thing going and I bet they'll do just fine. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @HeavyG and @pgprescott -  Agree with all said above.  Brand recognition will only carry you so far.  @HeavyG hit on a key point that I share and that is resting on your laurels.  There's always competition and if you become complacent then the competition will gain on you and when you decide to ramp up your game you could be too late.  I'm pretty sure BGE watches and knows their market but you gotta "keep the main thing the main thing." FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @HeavyG and @pgprescott -  Agree with all said above.  Brand recognition will only carry you so far.  @HeavyG hit on a key point that I share and that is resting on your laurels.  There's always competition and if you become complacent then the competition will gain on you and when you decide to ramp up your game you could be too late.  I'm pretty sure BGE watches and knows their market but you gotta "keep the main thing the main thing." FWIW-
    That is why I agreed with his post. Both are correct IMO.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    people call facial tissues 
    'Kleenex"
    In the same way that someone might say "make a xerox" rather than "make a photocopy". 

At one point Xerox had 100% of the photocopier market. Now they have...1%, 5%...? Wait...does Xerox even still sell photocopiers? :)

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

Can anyone say, Blackberry?

One of the things BGE has going, is a cult like following that produces places like this.  That is a strong following indeed.  Lifetime Warranty is also key..not sure how the other Komado Warrnties are.

Obviously, BGE does not really care about the accessories, as all of theirs are sub par to the ones we all run out and buy.  If they were concerned about it, then they would produce better ones themselves.  For now, they are content with building a great product and customer support in the Egg.

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • HeavyG
    Options

Can anyone say, Blackberry?

One of the things BGE has going, is a cult like following that produces places like this.  That is a strong following indeed.  Lifetime Warranty is also key..not sure how the other Komado Warrnties are.

Obviously, BGE does not really care about the accessories, as all of theirs are sub par to the ones we all run out and buy.  If they were concerned about it, then they would produce better ones themselves.  For now, they are content with building a great product and customer support in the Egg.

All the other major kamado vendors offer the same lifetime warranty on the ceramics.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    yljkt said:
    How was my reply off topic? For explaining what it is and does? P!ss up a rope... 

@WeberWho Probably fat fingered it by accident. It happens. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree the plate setter is due for a redesign.  I think at minimum it should allow for raised direct and indirect cooking, and it should be included with the egg.  It can't be that expensive to mass produce a simple wire frame and stone.  They should also call it something other than "Conveggtor". 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tikigriller
    Options
    Think there is a chance that BGE gets a cut on some of the accessories from third party vendors which would explain the limited changes and poor BGE accessories?  Keep it basic and let us folk that are eggdicted, to run around and buy all the toys with all of our different tastes. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Look at the top and bottom fit of a Kamado Joe....no over or under bite.  I have to see an BGE where the fit was good.  I have worked with mine numerous times and I still have an under bite and several on this forum says that's natural don't worry about it.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • tikigriller
    Options
    My BGE has a perfect fit.  No over under bites at all.

Livermore, California