Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Start of a Large Cook for Family Reunion

Options
Put on a 13 lb brisket at 7:10, temp of 235.  Was planing on it to be done around 8 am so I can FTC and cook ribs and chicken.   It's 102 now, but should hit stall I hope.  Putting g on a 8 lb brisket point at 12 as well.  Any thoughts on my plan?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
     Here is a better picture. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    You have got this-my target is just to get the cow into the FTC window and your plans look solid in that regard.  I'm guessing 235 grate with a controller??  
    I'm also guessing you want around 5-6 hours of FTC for the brisket to complete the remainder of the cooks.  No worries there with a prepped cooler.
    Enjoy the cook and follow-on banquet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sounds awesome! Great to hear from you. Enjoy the day with your loved ones! Looking forward to some plated pics if you have time. 
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @lousubcap and @pgprescott, thanks.  I do not own a controller, but thinking about asking for one for Christmas.   Work up at 7:15 the grate was at 201 and the packet was at 165.  The point was around 145 or so.  I opened up the vents a little and let it ride while I got the ribs and beans ready.  8:30 beans and ribs went on.  8:50 double wrapped point to get it done to do burnt ends.  This is fun.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nice save! Rock on. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Game on- gonna be a true Q banquet for sure.  Above comment failed to recognize the multiple Q rigs available.  
    Not to move too far off target but I find that if I fire up the LBGE around 2 hours before loading the protein for a L&S cook and get it solid at around 250*F or so on the dome, it will take care of itself all night.  Just tossing it out there in the event you have other desires on your Christmas wish list.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have to vote yes on a controller. I struggled for a long time trying to master manual temp control.  I'm sure much of my failure is due to impatience.  Unlike lousubcap, I never seemed to have time to allow the egg to settle in properly before loading the protein and consequently, I chased the temp forever.  I recently bought a pit controller and my first cook with it was great.  Maintained a constant 225 + or - a couple of degrees for 24 hours.  Able to sleep with no concern.  Has to be one of my best egg purchases.  
    Edit - And great looking cook there.  Well done!!!

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Going to be some good eating.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Damn, looks mighty fine! Email me a piece of that point!!!!  B)
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Ladeback69
    Options

Here are some photos from the party.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Ladeback69 -  A true success right there. Congrats on nailing the preps and cooks and making sure everyone enjoyed the day.  I'm sure you are volunteered for the next one in the queue.  
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Very very nice. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Ladeback69 -  A true success right there. Congrats on nailing the preps and cooks and making sure everyone enjoyed the day.  I'm sure you are volunteered for the next one in the queue.  
    Thank you.   It came out pretty good.  The brisket  flat was a little dry, but the ribs and burnt ends were awesome.  Man I'm tired.  Sitting down to  watch the Chief's. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Ladeback69 -  burnt ends... Next time please don't go down that road  ;)  The point is about the closest thing to beef heaven that you can find on this planet.   But what does a sewer pipe sailor know?  Just give it a go...one time.
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Very nice, that's a lot of work and I'm sure it was very much appreciated!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Ladeback69 -  burnt ends... Next time please don't go down that road  ;)  The point is about the closest thing to beef heaven that you can find on this planet.   But what does a sewer pipe sailor know?  Just give it a go...one time.

Burnt ends are a KC thing and they are always a hit.  It is the only way my wife will eat brisket unless it is corned beef.  I have had it both ways, but prefer burnt ends, sorry probably will keep doing them as long as I have the time.  

Out of about 11 to 12 pounds i made I may have a pound left, also have the riblets from the spares and a few pieces of chicken.  The family pretty much cleaned us out.  I cooked 23 lbs of brisket, 24 lbs of ribs, and 8 lbs or so of chicken for 28 people.  The wife made 10 lbs of garlic mashed potatoes and have maybe a 1/2 to a pound left.  

Great food and a lot of good times were had by all except for one of my uncles from California who I guess doesn't like BBQ.  He and his wife went to Jack Stack the night before and he didn't anything good to say about it, but it is one of the better chain BBQ restaurants in town.  When I asked if he liked what I cooked, he said he rather not day.  His wife liked it and told me now to close this restaurant.  Lets just say he is a little pompous.  He was also telling that we bought the wrong wine and tried to give me a lesson that you should only buy wine from where it is produced and sold.  Not from other company's that buy the gapes or wine and put it in their bottles and sell it at a lower price.  I told him that the wine is my wife's thing and I don't drink it,  I drink bourbon, scotch, and beer.  

@lousubcap, have you had burnt ends in KC before?  We call it meat candy.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Ladeback69 -  I must admit I have not had KC burnt ends so "guilty as charged".  But you guys must have a secret process to truly enhance the experience as the burnt ends I have had reminded me of "why waste the point for this..."  ;)
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Very nice cook! It looks like the family enjoyed everything.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE