Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Decision Large or XL Big Green Egg

Options
I have a small family but am the type that hem and haw about purchasing something. I am ready to buy my BGE in the next week and am really battling over L or XL egg. I figure this will be my only Egg and want to make sure I am making the right decision. I was thinking about the amount of lump coal, the height of the grill for making pizza... Surface area, do I really need the XL? Does anyone have a Large and wishes I got an XL? Anyone get an XL and wishes they got the L? Interested to hear the pro's and conn's
Thanks
XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome to the forum.  

If you're going to do full packer briskets or multiple racks of ribs etc, then an XL is better suited as your only cooker.  Yes, it can be done on a large, but sometimes you're squeezing.  I cook for two most of the time, but if I were to do it again, I would go for an XL first, and then supplement with a medium for smaller cooks.

Phoenix 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I have a large and would never see the need for a XL for my family. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    My large gets used way more than my XL ever will. Most cooks fit in my large 95% of the time. The XL is nice for bigger cooks. The XL is the safe bet but maybe not the most practical for smaller cooks
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    only have an xl. I don't wish it was smaller, and I don't need the extra $400.00 it cost.

wouldn't trade it for anything 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I started with an L cooking for six. Got a second one and still found I preferred more area. Got an XL and wished I would have had it from the beginning. If I could only have one it would be the XL. I still use the two L's as appropriate and am glad I have them, but I couldn't get by with just one of them for what we like to do. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I would offer the following just to change it up- many figure out that while the real estate of the XL is  a great thing to have, you soon find that you want to have two different cooking styles (direct and indirect) running at around the same time.  Thus another BGE -  if you even think that would be in your future I would go with the LBGE and either a SBGE or MM for the second.  I would guess the total initial $$ outlay is fairly comparable to a XL.  I am not counting the after-market gear you would feel compelled to buy down the road.  Wherever you land you will enjoy.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I would offer the following just to change it up- many figure out that while the real estate of the XL is  a great thing to have, you soon find that you want to have two different cooking styles (direct and indirect) running at around the same time.  Thus another BGE -  if you even think that would be in your future I would go with the LBGE and either a SBGE or MM for the second.  I would guess the total initial $$ outlay is fairly comparable to a XL.  I am not counting the after-market gear you would feel compelled to buy down the road.  Wherever you land you will enjoy.  FWIW-
    All great points and thanks. I feel this will be my only BGE and the rest of the cooking would be done on a Weber propane grill. This way I have a good mix. Of course it's much more than I ever thought I would spend but I think it's a great investment. The propane for a quick after work dinner but on the weekends I would use the BGE to make some special things, my new hobby sort of thing. That is my intent... I just sold my Weber smoker to go for the BGE. Felt the Weber Smoker was a boring cooker... I liked it the food was great and tasty but sort of a one trick pony. The BGE is on a different level with bread and pizza just to mention a few ideas. Looks like it would be much easier to hold a steady temp in the cold winter. I will bat this around until next Saturday and make the plunge.
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    BTW I neglected to extend the appropriate "Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey."  
    And yes the BGE is an any temperature work-horse without flinching.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I agree 100%. I just got my large 28 days ago. Have used the heck out of it in that time frame as people here will be able to attest to. There was a time I almost took it back for an XL as I had that option. I decided to stay with the Large, with the thought of adding a medium or a second large to it in the coming months. The desire to have TWO cooking surfaces and styles available is way to enticing for me. I already think of many things I would do for a meal on an egg if I had two of them. 

If you can swing it now, while the approval to buy is there, I would get a large and a medium, or at least a small. The more you read these threads, you will see many many of these guys and gals have 2-8 or more of these eggs and use them!!!  

Hope that helps. I am excited for you and what you are about to experience. Such an extremely cool thing to cook with!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • sjm1027
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    BTW I neglected to extend the appropriate "Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey."  
    And yes the BGE is an any temperature work-horse without flinching.  
    And that's what sold me... Had a few burgers from a local dealer 2 weeks ago. Just listening to ho much he loves his got me excited. Told me he even baked a cake in it. Used different coals to keep the smoke away... But just the same, you can't do that with any other grill that I know if... And as you can see I love Green

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    When in doubt, go for the capacity. You never know when you might need the extra room. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    @sjm1027 where are you from?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DynaGlide
    Options
    I bought the large two weeks ago and am kind of wondering if the XL might have been a better fit . Not because I can't cook for my family but because there are some larger meats that won't fit like the big brisket I can get at restaurant Depot. Not really an issue as I won't throw  parties often , it would be nice to have the room though 
    2006 Blue Weber Performer Slow n' Sear and Rotisserie; LG BGE w/ AR R&B -- Alexandria, VA

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Had my large for 18 months. Most of my cooks are for 2 people. Only time I wish there was more grill space is when cooking for bigger parties. Like next weekend I'm cooking for 30 people. But, I have an adjustable rig so that gives a lot more room for food. I can easily do 2 packer briskets with the AR. So far I have not NEEDED more space, but there were times when a second egg would have been nice. Think I'll be adding a KJ jr very soon.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The formula is this, get as big as you reasonably need and can afford. If you are between XL and l and can afford the XL go for it. The second school is to buy two eggs which is the superior choice as you open up multiple cooking styles and temps. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Large

Never once have wished I'd bought an XL. 

If you need additional cooking surface, there are eggcessories for that. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    As others have noted, two sub-XL sizes will give you more versatility than one XL (including true dual-zone cooking when running both units). Personally, I opted for a Large and Mini Max and couldn't be happier. The thought of moving the XL alone turned me off the idea. My local dealer had also told me heat up times were very long for the XL, though I'm sure others will chime in with other perspectives on this.

For the record, my family is quite small but we host a lot of big groups. Don't forget that you can use additional racks on your Eggs. Just check out this 5 lb load of wings on the Mini Max....

....This was during a party where we cooked on municipal Large and Mini Max for a group of 20......

No no matter your choice, it will be a good one.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I will fire up my XL today to smoke one solitary rack of St. Louis ribs.  I might use my lump reducing ring , I may not. but what I will do is this... I will be able to lay that whole rack of ribs out nice and flat over an 18 in. drip pan . If needed , I can cook six racks of ribs , and not have to worry about cutting them in half or standing them up in a rack.  Just my two cents worth... I love my XL.
     The pic is two baby backs on the " mid -level " 18in grill. I have 24 inches of grill below it , and another 16 inch grill for above it.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Ok ... You have a propane grill for your weekday cooking ... cool. That's great.
    You have saved for a BGE ... More cool.
    Get a XL and don't look back.
    You can dial down your lump consumption with a couple fire bricks on the fire grate and cook high heat or low heat too. 
    You can load the firebox with 10 - 15# of lump and cook low n slow for 30 hours. Back to back butts, ribs or briskets.
    No need to load it up every time. You have head room to raise grids.
    The firebricks allow for indirect/direct at the same time without a platesetter!
    Fire bricks divide the fire grate, fire on one half, protein on the other half.
    Grid space is king. Don't wish you had more grid space. Be happy you have extra grid space
    You will have leftover lump most every time. Just stir and burn again.
    I've done 8 - 10 hours at 300 with 1/2 a load of lump using firebricks dividing the grate. Lump consumption is not an issue.

Good luck with your decision 

Interesting comment with the firebrick. I talked to a dealer yesterday about coal consumption and what I could do to save coal with XL. We are empty nesters and I am sure 65% of my cooking will be for 2 but we will have my daughter, her husband and other family over. We also host parties on the holidays and I just love to grill. So this brick, he told me not necessary but in my head it makes a lot of sense. How do you lay them in, flat or a teepee? I assume you need the air to get under them?

• sjm1027
    Options
    15 minutes south of Boston
  • sjm1027
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    I will fire up my XL today to smoke one solitary rack of St. Louis ribs.  I might use my lump reducing ring , I may not. but what I will do is this... I will be able to lay that whole rack of ribs out nice and flat over an 18 in. drip pan . If needed , I can cook six racks of ribs , and not have to worry about cutting them in half or standing them up in a rack.  Just my two cents worth... I love my XL.
     The pic is two baby backs on the " mid -level " 18in grill. I have 24 inches of grill below it , and another 16 inch grill for above it.
    What's wrapped in bacon?  
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Jalepenos peppers , cut in half , stuffed with chedderjack and cream cheese, two or three hours at 250* depending on how you like your bacon :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I have a XL and love it, great air flow
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I started with a large, soon found I wanted to fix something quick for supper while the butt was still cooking. I bought a small for the quick cooks, and am happy. there are more accessories available for the large, at least the last time that I looked.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    I have had a large for nearly seven years. I am going to add a XL soon. I would have purchased the XL if I had to do it over again. But I am looking forward to having two cookers that will be the best scenario for me. 
  • sjm1027
    Options
    XLentEGG said:
    Jalepenos peppers , cut in half , stuffed with chedderjack and cream cheese, two or three hours at 250* depending on how you like your bacon :-)
    Simply awesome, nice job!!!