Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - direct or indirect?

Options
Getting ready to cook two briskets tomorrow.  Should I go indirect at 200 to 225?  I plan on putting the rub on tonight then wrap.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
XL BGE  - Virginia

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Indirect is the way to go, will this be an 'overnite' cook, if so do you have a temp control device or are you gonna stay up with it? Pictures please when done! Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    I will get up early and stay with it.  Correction it's actually 2 half briskets.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    How large?  Just flats? 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    How large?  Just flats? 
    Ok I have one tip and one flat about 12 lbs.  
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    My egg doesn't like to work that low of a temp without a controller. I usually go 225 indirect with a controller. Since your brisket is in 2 pieces, the flat will likely be done first so keep an eye on it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Yep, indirect.  I'd go a little hotter.  Like 250, otherwise it's going to take a LOONNNNGGG time at 200.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Toxarch
    Options
    ^What he said. Since many cook to 203 internal, it would be really hard to get there cooking at 200.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• BrueggeDad
    Options
    Cool thanks for the info.  I will go 250 and see.  Good point about different cook time.   I seasoned with Dizzy Pig Dust and my own six pepper hot spice.  Here's some pics.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Focusing on the finish-line here, regardless of internal temperature, target the feel for the flat.  When it probes like buttah you are there-likely in the low 200's for internal temp but that is just a guide.  Since your other hunk is the point (much higher fat content) I would use it to get the "feels like buttah" perspective but let it run to around 210-215 to ensure all the fat renders.  
    Have fun and enjoy the cook and eats.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Ok they are on.  Gotta love the night cooks. 
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • Toxarch
    Options
    That almost looks like they cut the deckle and removed the top. Those are not going to take very long to cook. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• BrueggeDad
    BrueggeDad Posts: 112
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yeah I'm six hours into it and here's how they look.  
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • rosem
    rosem Posts: 48
    Options
    Looking good!

Personally I would wrap in foil now. The egg can easily burn and/or over smoke meat because it's so close to the fire source.

With how dark they are now — if you don't wrap — I would imagine you'll have a hard crusty bottom (and some bitter taste) if they ride along for a 3-4 more hours.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Like the others posted, indirect and 250 is solid.  Curious though, has anyone ever tried a direct brisket cook?  I guess you would need to flip it every now and then???  

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Indirect 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    rosem said:
    Looking good!

Personally I would wrap in foil now. The egg can easily burn and/or over smoke meat because it's so close to the fire source.

With how dark they are now — if you don't wrap — I would imagine you'll have a hard crusty bottom (and some bitter taste) if they ride along for a 3-4 more hours.
    Your all over it.  I have pulled them off and wrapped in foil.  
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Ok here's the finished product.  Of course I had to add the mac and cheese.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I so want a taste!!

Can you throw down a picture of the Mac And Cheese scooped out and how you made it!?!?!   That looks like something I need to put in my belly.....numerous times!!!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Way to get it done.  Congrats.  Home-run across the board.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2016
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Like the others posted, indirect and 250 is solid.  Curious though, has anyone ever tried a direct brisket cook?  I guess you would need to flip it every now and then???  

I've cooked a brisket raised direct (lowest temp I could hold direct) once before just to see how it would turn out.  It was a prime grade and came out fine.  One thing that was a little different was the texture of the bark with some pretty deep grill lines.  Hope I attached the pic right (been years since I've posted pics).  

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/R2Egg2Q/BBQ/2014/IMG_2294_zpse3934ffc.jpg

I think I took the pic mid cook after flipping the brisket.  I haven't done a direct cook brisket since.

To the original poster, nice job on the brisket.  Looks good!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BrueggeDad
    Options

I so want a taste!!

Can you throw down a picture of the Mac And Cheese scooped out and how you made it!?!?!   That looks like something I need to put in my belly.....numerous times!!!

All it is, is doctored stouffers mac and cheese.  It's a lazy way, but you can't beat it.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I so want a taste!!

All it is, is doctored stouffers mac and cheese.  It's a lazy way, but you can't beat it.

That is why it looks so good!  I eat that stuff all the time late at night!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    many cook to 203 internal, it would be really hard to get there cooking at 200.

@toxarch  roughly, how long would it take to get to 203 when cooking at 200?  

(Your comment cracked me up)

@BrueggeDad looking good

Phoenix