Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Celebrating my dual zone wine cellar today.

Options
As many of you know I am in the midst of the Kitchen Renovation from Hell. There have been a few bright spots along this trail of tears and flying Franklins.
Today is one of them. I finally got what I had eagerly awaited, my dual zone 48 bottle capacity, Haier wine cellar, operational today.
So in honor of this milestone, I thought I would share some information you may, or may not, care to read.
Proper serving temps for wine.

This is not storage temps. This is serving temps. You will store colder, open, let breath until serving temp is reached, then pour, and consume with whatever is coming off the BGE.
To the knuckle dragging, mouth breathers, such as myself, you may, or may not find this to be both interesting and dead on.
I will also add temp ranges for the beer guys and gals: Cold
We good?
Carry on.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2016
    Options

Cool man!  I'm one of the aforementioned mouth breathers and know nothing of wine.  But I know wine is your thing, and this is probably something you've been lusting after.  Enjoy!

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nothing like new toys Ron. Congrats and enjoy for sure.

It seems to me beer is much simpler. Cold works.  =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    You know the routine, pics or it didn't happen!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited September 2016
    Options
    blasting said:

Cool man!  I'm one of the aforementioned mouth breathers and know nothing of wine.  But I know you are, and this is probably something you've been lusting after.  Enjoy!

I got to tell you, at my advanced age, and bad legs, there is no joy in having  to go up and down stairs to/from the cellar every single time you want a bottle of wine. Now I won't feel so guilty sending My Beautiful Wife to get it anymore.
    Just Kidding. Sheesh, tough crowd.
    Of all the upgrades, this is what I had wanted most, for the longest of time. I am setting it up now. All that is left is the final painting, a couple electrical plates, window treatments and putting stuff away. It has, by far, come out much better than anticipated, so far.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    What time do I need to be there for the 62 degree cab?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    What time do I need to be there for the 62 degree cab?

About 20 minutes after I arrive for the 55 degree pinot noir.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Come on up and help me carry all the bottles from our rack in the basement. Got plenty of both. @Foghorn, I still have some PNs we brought back from Burgandy, @bgebrent, I got a bunch of cabs ready dude. Come on up.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Nothing like new toys Ron. Congrats and enjoy for sure.

It seems to me beer is much simpler. Cold works.  =)
    I have maybe 2 white burgundies left. Rest are all reds, I think. Easy temp settings.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Come on up and help me carry all the bottles from our rack in the basement. Got plenty of both. @Foghorn, I still have some PNs we brought back from Burgandy, @bgebrent, I got a bunch of cabs ready dude. Come on up.

Would that I could.  One day.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I could use this for beer.

crappy beer I buy for my kids = very cold
    better beer for me = not as cold
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Slide out wood shelving. Niiiiice...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    I could use this for beer.

crappy beer I buy for my kids = very cold
    better beer for me = not as cold
    This is great knowledge that should be shared.
    Thank you.
    I don't have to worry about my children and the grade of wine they consume out of my wine fridge. My daughter likes wine "That is just a step up from Mountain Dew".
    I do not have any of that.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Slide out wood shelving. Niiiiice...
    Not that it matters, but, I was told it was french white oak. Looks like poplar to me, seriously. What the heck, I am going with it. As long as they don't break, I am good, heck I would have taken knotty pine at this point.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Only question is which wine(s) won't make it from downstairs to the new temp controlled cellar - and will get "stuck" (and opened) on the way!  Enjoy your new stoprage
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    sweet!

i too have a haier

for cigars  

im a wine fan too i just drink most at room temp since im a cab guy.  we should do a local wine exchange

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Honestly Ron, I thought you would be building a facility for your wine, or at least a climate controlled room in your house. 

Wine.  It is serious business. ;)=)
    Options
    (note: honestly, if I don't preface anything I say with "honestly", it's probably a lie.  FWIW)
    This post reminds me of my wife's uncle in New York. We were visiting for the paddy day parade from Ireland and he showed me his 15,000 bottle wine cellar (which was full) complete with back up generator and alarm system. We had booked a basic room in the Intercontinental on 5th ave, for the parade. Little did we know he holds his monthly wine club meets there. He got us upgraded to an apartment! Lived like royalty that weekend! Sadly he's no longer with us.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @YukonRon I drink Ste Genevieve Red for $3.99 a bottle at room temperature - and I honestly like it. It comes from west Texas just like I did. Can we still be friends?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @YukonRon I drink Ste Genevieve Red for $3.99 a bottle at room temperature - and I honestly like it. It comes from west Texas just like I did. Can we still be friends?
    I get my cheese from a spray can and my wine from a box. We have been friends for a long time. Not giving that up because you drink classy stuff.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited September 2016
    Options

da87 said:
    Only question is which wine(s) won't make it from downstairs to the new temp controlled cellar - and will get "stuck" (and opened) on the way!  Enjoy your new stoprage
    My Beautiful Wife's white Burgundy collection. She don't mess around.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    tonyled said:
    sweet!

i too have a haier

for cigars  

im a wine fan too i just drink most at room temp since im a cab guy.  we should do a local wine exchange

This is styling. I am in on the suggestion.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:

da87 said:
    Love a good white Burgundy!  Suzy has great taste!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Honestly Ron, I thought you would be building a facility for your wine, or at least a climate controlled room in your house. 

Wine.  It is serious business. ;)=)
    Had one already, we called it "basement." Poor folk drinking wine, you got to store those box wines somewhere right?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

da87 said:
    I'd say Ron has great taste. Suzy has questionable judgement. 

Enjoy your toy Ron. So glad your back to the forum. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    rob75in said:
    This post reminds me of my wife's uncle in New York. We were visiting for the paddy day parade from Ireland and he showed me his 15,000 bottle wine cellar (which was full) complete with back up generator and alarm system. We had booked a basic room in the Intercontinental on 5th ave, for the parade. Little did we know he holds his monthly wine club meets there. He got us upgraded to an apartment! Lived like royalty that weekend! Sadly he's no longer with us.
    Dude , he sounds like he was a lot of fun. I would like to have seen that collection. I had a friend tell me long ago, don't buy it to save, drink the wine. She is a wine cave architect, which specialized in the design and build of fabulous storage areas. She built one for a client that had the similar amount as your uncle, he was a young guy. He had put this collection together over 10 years, then once everything had been completed, he gets killed on his way home in a car accident.
    Drink the wine. Good advice.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

da87 said:
    In wine. Don't forget, she married me. I totally outkicked my coverage.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

da87 said:
    I'd say Ron has great taste. Suzy has questionable judgement. 

Enjoy your toy Ron. So glad your back to the forum. 
    Amen to that brother. No denying it on my part. She must have lost a bet or something. I don't know, but I do not dare to ask. I actually expect to win the lottery these days, I feel so lucky.

It is great to be back brother. Thank you for the kindness while I have been away. Means a lot.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • rob75in
    Options
    YokonRon, next to his wine cellar was his office. In it was the following, signed poster of all the 'Rat Pack', signed Ali boxing gloves, Babe Ruth signed bat and loads more sport memorabilia I didn't recognise. His wife sold his wine collection to some Chinese investor for $600k