Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salsa - The Way I Do It

There was a recent post about salsa which got me itching to get back out there.  The way I do it is pretty simple and I just wing the recipe... 8 roma tomatoes (cut and gutted - i don't like the water), one big yellow onion, two poblanos, four jalapeños, two habaneros, and a few cloves of garlic.  Throw it all on the egg until it gets a nice char... I go 350-400 raised direct.  Peel the tomatoes but don't kill yourself... should come off pretty easy once charred.  Throw it all in a blender, add some salt, a shot of white wine vinegar, and cilantro (optional - I skipped it this time).  It's got some good heat to it... addictive.  Pics are all out of order but you'll get the gist.  
South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2016
    Sounds pretty decent. Have you ever done the same recipe chunky style? Or do you prefer this smooth texture? PS: One can't simply skip cilantro in salsa :tongue: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dang. Looks awesome. I know what I'm doing on Saturday now...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Solid grub my friend-I love it charred first myself
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • @NPHuskerFL by "chunky" do you mean cut with a knife instead of put in the blender?  If so, no... i haven't done that.  But i will say, it's thicker than it looks in the picture.

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice :plus_one: ^^^
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Had to "STAR" this one for future reference.  That salsa looks great!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• I can tell by that first picture that stuff is amazing.  <3 mexican food

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    If you hate the water, here's a trick..

Go ahead and cut the tomatoes up, but put them in a collander, and salt them and allow them to drain while cutting them all into a plate.

I make pico this way.. char the peppers and onions.. dice tomatoes small and salt them, it'll season and draw the water out of them so it's not too terribly watery.

Add a sweet onion, red onion pickled in some lime and vinegar, peppers, garlic, and a bunch of cilantro.

I'll take same recipe and use immersion blender for salsa.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Tasty looking salsa, and a nice knife also - Henckels 4 Star?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Looks like some good stuff! Feel free to mail me a jar! =)
    NW IOWA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Nice.  And I'll definitely use the methods to minimize water.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX