Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib results

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i tried my first prime rib for the new year dinner and it came out great.[p]This is an expensive piece of meat and I was really worried about ruining it.
I decided to go with a plain and simple cook. I smashed up some peppercorns (maybe 2 tbls) with 1 maybe 2 tbls of kosher salt and 1 or 2 tbls of oil. I swabbed that all
over the roast and let it sit for 15 minutes or more. I set up the egg for 350. I put the roast in a v-rack. I set the v-rack
set in a drip pan that was filled with carrots, celery and parsnips. (a little pepper, a little salt and a little oil on the veggies.)
I put the drip pan and its load on top of a pizze stone. It cooked for about two hours maybe a little more. [p]The vegetables tasted like candy. Oriignally I was only going to serve the parsnips and use the carrots and celery for a gravy. But they were all so tasty, I served most of the them with the roast. [p]I took the roast to 145 internal and let it sit for 30 minutes. I was hoping for medium rare, but it was closer to medium. Next time I'll cook it to 135 f.[p]The bones were a huge hit with my kid. I couldn't believe how good a thick slice of roast beef could taste with a nice thick gravy and yorkshire pud. [p]Happy New Year everybody.[p]Oh yeah, the new year is good.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    char buddy:[p]With your next rib roast, pull at 130º, cover with foil, and insulate with a towel or two in quick order. Let the rest be no more than ten minutes. Then serve. This might be more to your liking.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    char buddy ,
    I did my first 8 LB three rib, at 325 Deg, over a drip pan, in a V rack. I pulled it off at 130 internal to rest for about 15 minutes. I also was worried. Your are looking at a $50.00 piece of Cow and don't want to screw it up. It was GRRR...ATE. The hit of the party. This rib roast just proved that I don't have to be a great cook, just follow directions. Kudos AGAIN to this forum.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    char buddy, I believe I could slid my chair up to that table. Great job![p]C~W