Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whatcha cooking for tonight's BIG EVENT?

1235»

Comments

• jic calling someone else condescending? 
    Pot calling kettle, come in kettle.
    I can get away with the condescension because I'm a lot smarter than you mouth breathers.

When are you going to post a cook by the way?  I see you've been here for awhile now but no cooks posted.  Why is that?
    UH OH!! Hypocrisy again.

Poor baby cried that I called you a "child", now you are name-calling!  What gives bro!?  This is another one of those, 'do as I say, not as I do' liberal moments eh?  Honestly, serious question here. Do you actually think before you type?

Scary thing is, you actually remind me of Trump when you do things like this.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• jic calling someone else condescending? 
    I can get away with the condescension because I'm a lot smarter than you mouth breathers.

When are you going to post a cook by the way?  I see you've been here for awhile now but no cooks posted.  Why is that?
    What are you, the post police? Is there an x cook post minimum? Why would the amount of cooking posts I do or not do bother you? 
    It's just curious.  Everyone here posts their cooks.  You haven't posted one.  Actually most of your comments are in these political threads.  Looks like a troll account.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited September 2016
    jic calling someone else condescending? 

UH OH!! Hypocrisy again.

Poor baby cried that I called you a "child", now you are name-calling!  What gives bro!?  This is another one of those, 'do as I say, not as I do' liberal moments eh?  Honestly, serious question here. Do you actually think before you type?

Scary thing is, you actually remind me of Trump when you do things like this.
    Pretty big and obvious joke you missed there.

But once again, none of this is anything resembling an argument.
  • A little while back I mentioned to nola something about how the name calling was so junior high. He told me to go find an example. When I refused to go digging for examples he claimed that was proof I was was wrong. Why waste time digging when you know it will be coming soon anyway?
  • Lol... Hmm.... As much as I know you love to argue, I'm not sure it was supposed to be an argument.  I was just pointing out that your hypocrisy has reached new heights.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Lol... Hmm.... As much as I know you love to argue, I'm not sure it was supposed to be an argument.  I was just pointing out that your hypocrisy has reached new heights.
    OK.  And I'm just pointing out you missed the joke.
  • If you really must know, and it seems that you do, to post a cook I would have to take a pic of one. I have never in my life taken a picture of a cook. Probably never will. If that bothers you, well, that is a you problem. No offense.
    You're obviously not on your 'A' game today.  Please do yourself a favor and stop now.  Sometimes you are fun to argue with.  Today has just been sad. On your part, that is.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    You are so right Heavy G, someone on the "other side" either misspoke, or has their facts wrong. So that means everything we say is wrong. Got it.
    "...either misspoke or has their facts wrong..."

If only that was an isolated incident.

But no, I don't believe that everything those from "the other side" say is wrong. But I have certainly learned that since the vast majority of those on "the other side" still believe Obama was born outside the USA that it's an even bet that when I hear from someone on the "other side" they are likely to be misinformed (to be charitable).

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

You're obviously not on your 'A' game today.  Please do yourself a favor and stop now.  Sometimes you are fun to argue with.  Today has just been sad. On your part, that is.
    LOL
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited September 2016
    If you really must know, and it seems that you do, to post a cook I would have to take a pic of one. I have never in my life taken a picture of a cook. Probably never will. If that bothers you, well, that is a you problem. No offense.
    Don't own a camera eh?

Dude, forget about the cooks, you haven't even posted a recipe.  I suppose you're going to tell us you don't remember any of the ingredients afterwards.
  • HeavyG said:
    You are so right Heavy G, someone on the "other side" either misspoke, or has their facts wrong. So that means everything we say is wrong. Got it.

But no, I don't believe that everything those from "the other side" say is wrong. But I have certainly learned that since the vast majority of those on "the other side" still believe Obama was born outside the USA that it's an even bet that when I hear from someone on the "other side" they are likely to be misinformed (to be charitable).

More condescension, this just keeps getting better. Where did you get your info that the "vast majority" of the other side believes Obama was not born here?
  • If you really must know, and it seems that you do, to post a cook I would have to take a pic of one. I have never in my life taken a picture of a cook. Probably never will. If that bothers you, well, that is a you problem. No offense.
    Don't own a camera eh?

Dude, forget about the cooks, you haven't even posted a recipe.
    Maybe I don't even own an egg. Or any kind of cooker.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited September 2016
    He's right, it's only about 40% of Republicans.  Of course, about half of those believe Adam and Eve rode to work on dinosaurs, so...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you really must know, and it seems that you do, to post a cook I would have to take a pic of one. I have never in my life taken a picture of a cook. Probably never will. If that bothers you, well, that is a you problem. No offense.
    Don't own a camera eh?

I was just thinking maybe you don't have any friends.  I hope that isn't true.
    Don't own a camera eh?

And all this time nola, I thought you were my friend.
    Don't own a camera eh?

Well you're here, and you posted a dumb thread about gaskets, so I wouldn't go that far.
  • Aw come on jic, don't you have a graph to prove how many of us believe he was not born here?
    Just poll results, and a nominee who championed the birther movement for 5+ years.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Don't own a camera eh?

I'm there if you need me.  I'm an empathetic human.  I believe we are all Americans, all humans, and we should all work together.  I would like some of the humanity that I find is more and more devoid in public discourse to come back to the polarized people who feel isolated, disenfranchised and alone.  Hope that helps you.
    Don't own a camera eh?

I'm there if you need me.  I'm an empathetic human.  I believe we are all Americans, all humans, and we should all work together.  I would like some of the humanity that I find is more and more devoid in public discourse to come back to the polarized people who feel isolated, disenfranchised and alone.  Hope that helps you.
    Nice sentiment. Very nice. And with that I bid you all a good night.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

More condescension, this just keeps getting better. Where did you get your info that the "vast majority" of the other side believes Obama was not born here?
    Not condescension. Just an observation. One that seems to have a high rate of repeatability/reliability.

I'm sure whatever source I would reference you would just claim that it is a liberal propaganda product especially since it was conducted by a member of the "lamestream media". Regardless, here ya go:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-persistent-partisan-divide-over-birther-question-n627446

41% believe Obama was not born in the USA. And an additional 31% of registered Republicans doubt that Obama was born in the USA. So 70%-ish (aka, the vast majority) question Obamas birthplace.

That survey is not unique. Many such surveys have been conducted over the past few years with about the same results. I'm guessing that in ten more years the numbers for those same questions probably won't be much different.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    loons on the right =)

Maine is home to more nesting loons than all other New England states partly because we have more than 6000 bodies of water But Maine also has a dedicated group of volunteers who may not be experts but have a deep appreciation for the iconic birds

loons on the left =)

Common loon

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    edited September 2016
    Foghorn said:
    HeavyG said:
    Foghorn said:
    "trumps more into simple math like adding and subtracting or balancing the budget, same thing "

@fishlessman, you say that - and I've heard other Trump supporters say that as well.  But as a neutral individual who is trying to decide who to vote for (as of today, Gary Johnson has my vote), as near as I can tell, Trump's plan is to put us $5 Trillion MORE THAN ALREADY PROJECTED in debt during his time in office.  I'm no expert on national economics, but it seems to me that if we don't do something about the national debt soon we are basically just stealing from our children and grandchildren - because they will be stuck with it.  All of the Trump supporters I know think of themselves as self-sufficient and would never be supportive of a plan that is overtly defined as "we're going to dump a heaping pile of crap on our kids and grandkids because we're too lazy to man up and take care of our own debt" - yet that seems to be the exact plan they are voting for.   

What am I missing?  Serious question.
     @Foghorn  The same people saying his plan will put us 5 trillion more in debt are the same ones that said obama would take us out of debt, not add 20 trillion to it.... funny how that works huh?
    Obama did not "add 20 trillion to it" as you said. The debt will just reach that amount at the end of the next fiscal year.

President's don't add money to the debt. The US Congress, as mandated in the US Constitution, is responsible for federal spending via their budget process. Blame Congress.

@bhedges1987, from what I can gather, @HeavyG is correct.  The blame really is on congress because Obama's plan was never implemented.  It was never implemented because the republicans won't allow any tax increase (his plan was to increase taxes on the rich) and neither the democrats nor the republicans will choose any place to cut spending.  Stating that you support a cut in spending is a nice philosophical stance, but actually naming the program(s) where the cut(s) will be made is something nobody in Washington is willing to do as it would threaten that politician's political longevity.  So we have built a system that can't possibly solve the problem. 

Hillary's plan is probably the same as Obama's so nobody really knows if it will work or not - and it probably won't be implemented either.  Trump's plan might actually get implemented and it probably will add significantly to the current debt trajectory.  I think.  I may be way off because I don't really understand this stuff all that well.  There are too many moving parts.  I'm not convinced that either candidate understands it any better than I do.

@Foghorn oh??? The Democratic Party held the majority in the house and senate from 09-11.......
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress

Sorry to take so long to respond.  @bhedges1987, please re-read my post.  Maybe I wasn't clear.  Senators and congresspeople from both sides of the aisle are afraid to cut spending when it comes to actually naming the programs that are going to get cut because doing so will end their political careers.  As a result, it doesn't matter which party holds a majority in the house or senate.  Or which party is in the White House. 

Please recognize that (as I stated earlier) I am neither a democrat nor a republican.  In my lifetime I have voted for more republicans than democrats.    I'm just trying to find truth and facts to help me figure out who to vote for.  I've found that understanding politics and the impact of policy change is more nuanced than most people recognize because most people want to make it simple such that either republicans=good/bad and democrats=good/bad.  But that's just not the case. 

For example:

- since 1970 we've only had 4 years where we had a budget surplus and Bill Clinton was president for all 4 of them.  But most thoughtful people don't think that Clinton really deserves the majority of the credit for that.  He deserves some of it for sure, but Reagan and Bush 1 really implemented the policies that set the stage for it. 

- We went back into negative budget balance when Bush 2 took over.  But he doesn't deserve all the blame because Clinton had implemented some policies that started us down that road.

- We call it "Obamacare" but much of what we know as the Affordable Care Act came from a bipartisan idea about health care reform that was initiated by republican senator Orrin Hatch.  I met with senator Hatch and talked to him about it in 2008 before Obama was elected.  He's not happy with some of the components of the current act and he has proposals for how to replace the ACA with modified versions but he (along with a democratic senator whose name I don't recall) got the ball rolling on many aspects of the ACA.

- Obama gets "credit" for the bank bailout or "blame" for its impact on our budget deficit depending on if you are a democrat or republican.  However, phase 1 of that was passed before he was elected and the pieces/momentum for phase 2 were put in place at that time as well such that phase 2 was passed less than a month after he had been in office.  He didn't fight it or put a stop to it, but it really wasn't his doing.  So, it's disingenuous for any democrat to give him "credit" for saving the banks, just as it is disingenuous for any republican to "blame" him for the impact that has had on our federal deficit. 

- As a result, Obama was handed a budget that had (depending on your source) a $1.4 to $1.9 Trillion annual deficit.  The 2015 budget had about a $400 Billion deficit.   Given the circumstances, I think a lot of presidents would have done worse.

Anyway, this post is too long, and I probably shouldn't have entered into this political discussion.  But if you want to engage me in the discussion, please try to do it from an unbiased perspective and educate me with some meaningful information.  Getting educated really is my goal.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    i guess this is a good place to vent. just heard my oldest customer is closing the doors within a year and moving to mexico. been over 30 years working with them, thats two this year. both were tied to the oil industry
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    i guess this is a good place to vent. just heard my oldest customer is closing the doors within a year and moving to mexico. been over 30 years working with them, thats two this year. both were tied to the oil industry
    Did they blame Obama? :)

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    Did they blame Obama? :)
    since they were bought out by a low end walmart style pump manufacturer that could not compete in the high end market with their chinese junk then scuttled them, i bet they can honestly blame every recent president that did not work out fair trade agreements. im sure obama would be on that list. i forgot theres 3 thats gone, polertec is also leaving, remember feuerstein the owner, the guy that bought all new state of the art equipment, had it in his parking lot, lit his building on fire, collected huge sums to make the company profitable, closed his second plant, no firings, no layoffs, just move out of maine to massachusetts and theres your new job with a restructured pay drop. that plants going south. thats him as a clinton guest at the 1996 state of the  union address.   google has him as a great guy, everyone thats done work for him knows he is a snake. liked to go chapter 11 and screw contractors, get government subsidies, govt contracts, i guess its who you know :) he got squeezed out of corporate several years back, not one employee stood up for him. so did they blame obama :)  how could they, fleece production is cheaper in china =) 

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    @HeavyG
    should mention, the last thing i sent to china was a high tech papermill digester, it sat in customs for well over a year and while in china customs they shot it full of holes, they actually shot it :o seems like we have some fair trade practices in place
    fukahwee maine