Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just to let you all know how my cook turned out with the 3 tier BGE grill.

okesmokie
okesmokie Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked 2 -13lb briskets and an 8lb butt. Start with the butt cooked on the top shelf in the dome. It just barely fit and was Leery of breathing room but the egg done its job. Cooked in 9 hours and the problem was when I foiled it was too much bulk and the lid wouldn’t close and lost all my juice in the process of getting back on to finish it up. End results was very good as usual.
Two briskets had to take the palm of my hand and pound them to get them under the grates. When I foiled them had trouble getting them out as they were stuck to the grills and the one down closet to the fire was burnt on the point end. Foiled them and tore up my foil in getting them back on and had to start all over and finally with a little luck got them back on but it was a tough process.
Alternative: smaller butt for sure. Either smaller packer trimmed brisket or go the flat brisket or cut about 5inches at least off the point end of a packer trimmed and cooked it beside the larger peace. Both briskets cooked in about13 (at 225) hours and was very good with not a lot of bark.
I like the idea of taking the tier inside in the kitchen and loading it and will do it again and go the 5inches off the point cooking it with the larger piece (as I prefer the fat large packer trimmed briskets) . All and all I think the tier is a good idea and can be used in a lot of ways but you may have to be creative. Hope this helps someone. Sorry don’t do pictures and by the way a 6 inch PVC (L) not schedule 40 but the smaller one makes an excellent rain cap as they were predicting last night something we need real bad here in Oklahoma .
okesmokie

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    okesmokie,[p]shoot me an email, I got an idea i'ld like to show you[p]Scott

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    okesmokie,[p]I was at the mothership on Friday and just didn't see myself using the 3 tiered rack. Seems as though you must remove it to both place and remove meats from the lower level. Access seems limited due to it's low placement with the 2" ring replacing the original 4" ring...
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    okesmokie,[p]Thanks for the report, I hope others will follow.[p]Ya know, once you are in the foil stage, with any product, you can just do them in the oven, they don't know the difference. Much easier to manage that way.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • okesmokie
    thirdeye,i like the idea of doing every thing in the egg

• okesmokie
    SmokinBoB, i think it has a lot of possabilities. but you are right you are going to have to take it out during the cook especially the bottom tier. the brisket on the middle tier finished about an hour and a half quicker than the bottom onen.its a little trouble but sometimes you need to cook more than one brisket and this is an option that will work with a little practice