Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tailgate food ideas can cook in advance and not reheat?

Options
headed to clemson this weekend for the game. need some ideas on something can make in advance and eat that day that does not to be re-heated. people have dip and desserts covered 

want something that people will like but can't think of anything 

anyone have any ideas?
Boom

Comments

• GATraveller
    Options
    Do a couple of tri-tip and slice thin for sandwiches. Make some chimichurri to go along with it. You'll be everyone's hero! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Do a couple of tri-tip and slice thin for sandwiches. Make some chimichurri to go along with it. You'll be everyone's hero! 
    that'll be good cold? never had or made

so cook tri tip night or couple nights before, slice thin

make chimichurri and put on top of tri tip on sandwich?

if so, sounds simple enough. what bread is best and would I pre-make each sandwich or just lay read, meat and chimichurri out? any other toppings needed?
    Boom
  • Bart1434
    Options
    Will be following this thread closely as I will have the same question when I attend giants game in a few weeks

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Stay home and cry in your beer after the whipping that the Cards bring to Death Valley  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Smoked fresh salsa, smoked salmon
    Greensboro, NC
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Chicken Wings.......Cold Chicken Wings are always a treat in our house at least.  So many times I have stood over the sink with a ziplock bag full of leftover wings right out of the fridge and just chowed away!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am a big pimento cheese sandwiche man myself. It's also that ugly orange color if made with cheddar. I hate to pull against a local egghead....,but Go Cards!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Beer
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • wbradking
    Options
    +1 to everything @tikigriller said.  I'm not too proud to admit eating over the sink.

Seriously....cold wings are good.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We do it fairly often. Yes cook the night before or two nights.  Slice thin like roast beef. Sometimes we use chibatta rolls and other times French. Don't make the sandwiches ahead of time -  just lay out the meat and bread with the chimichurri on the side. We also put out a horseradish sauce and a couple good mustards for variety. It's always a hit and quite easy. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    ^^^^^this, cook the night before, to preferred temp, cool fully, wrap tight in film--whole. Do not slice untiil just before leaving or at the game if time and tools allow. Bread, I might use a dinner roll, or Hawaian roll for tailgate. French or Italian loaf cut every 2 inches. Might bring some giardinar or spicy chow chow relish. To me at least tailgating is all about grazing slowly and continuously on small bites while sipping a beverage. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Pimento cheese
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Smoky deviled eggs 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    meatloaf sandwiches,  smoked cream cheese with triskets or fancy wheat crackers. im good with cold abt's as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can do a butt or brisket as long as you can time it right. I did a brisket at a tailgate last year, which was a huge hit. It finished around 9am and I FTC the meat for 6-7 hours. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    hot chili stored in a cooler works too, ive done beans in a cooler and they stay hot a long time.  if you have a crock pot insert it works very well in a cooler
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    I have seen  cooked on a lg. egg. Pork loin cooked till done. let cool and slice to U R liking. place ( Divided ) into Qt. size or larger, into heavy duty zip lock bags . pour U R fav. sauces over each one . in the am of the game, place into U R cooler pour Hot Hot water  over the meats in the  bag . Serve on buns N' fav sauce.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Ribs are good cold
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Pig candy. Make a TON of it because it goes fast. Can be dipped in chocolate too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Smoky deviled eggs 

Exactly my thought ... with bacon!
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    caliking said:
    Pig candy. Make a TON of it because it goes fast. Can be dipped in chocolate too.
    caliking said:
    any tips on this? sounds like a good idea
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Smoky deviled eggs 
    recipe?
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    We do it fairly often. Yes cook the night before or two nights.  Slice thin like roast beef. Sometimes we use chibatta rolls and other times French. Don't make the sandwiches ahead of time -  just lay out the meat and bread with the chimichurri on the side. We also put out a horseradish sauce and a couple good mustards for variety. It's always a hit and quite easy. 
    this sounds good. any other tips to go along with? 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Pimento cheese
    I thought about this bc we have the best pimento cheese in the world here (DiPrato's) but someone else is already bring pimento cheese
    Boom
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Hot pockets 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited September 2016
    Options
    A lot of good ideas but with what everyone else is bringing I am leaning towards the pig candy (also bringing bloody caesars and bacon bourbon apple jello shots)

anyone have good tips/recipe for those?

I don't eat pecans so will skip that step
    Boom
  • northGAcock
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Pimento cheese
    I thought about this bc we have the best pimento cheese in the world here (DiPrato's) but someone else is already bring pimento cheese
    +1 on DiPrato's mento cheese!

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,053
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Smoky deviled eggs 
    recipe?
    I've never made them, but I've been meaning to. I've seen several different methods and ideas out there. One method is to smoke the eggs raw in the shell and another is to boil first, then place the peeled cooked eggs into your smoker. If the former, I'd go with a heavier nut wood probably. If the latter, I'd go light with fruit wood. I've also seen recipes for avacado deviled eggs that look tasty.  
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Pimento cheese
    +1 on DiPrato's mento cheese!
    yup! it is the best. I can't imagine anyone who has tried it could even make an argument for any other. Dianne is super nice too. When she and her friends go out drinking they call me and I pick them up from their house, drop them off, and come back at end of the night and take them home. They pay very well :-)
    Boom
  • northGAcock
    Options
    I make a good one too....seldom purchase. Also like there pita points.