Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burned the Steaks

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
..The Egg was 900º plus!
Steaks went on, the flames licking the meat so bad they were all burned on the outside.....the insides were tasty yet overdone....
Put it this way, if you were served them in a restaurant you would certainly not accept them.....
Oh well.....It was bound to happen.......My first disaster on the green cooker!......
Mop!

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Mop,
    Next time shorten the searing time on both sides and increase your dwell time some. That should eliminate the problem.

• Mop
    Options
    JJ,Either that or I`ll keep the steaks for the gas grill and the green cooker for the low and slow cooks like the pork butts, ribs and briskets......[p]Mop!

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Mop,
    Don't give up on the Egg for your steaks! It will work, just takes some fine tuning! Try searing them at 600 degrees and then the dwell! I never could get it right at the nuclear temperatures![p]Dr. Chicken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mop, NO!!!!
    Like JJ and Dr. Chicken say, don't give up. It is kind of a touchy-feely thing, but once you get the knack of it, I can almost guarantee you will not want to do them on ol gassy.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I agree with the 600 suggestion. I've tried a few different temps for the sear and find anything over 700 and I get into trouble - even if I don't burn them they taste a little sour.[p]PS - MOP, Both Bruno's (in Glen Abbey) and The Butchery (on Lakeshore) will do a brisket - if you ask real nice.[p]Dave
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Mop,[p]This is gonna be okay. I just cooked steaks last night that I recieved from KennG. :>) off the chart. 2 min a side and a 5 min dwell. Really, really good.....[p]It can work.[p]Mick

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mop,[p]Yea, don't give up on steaks. They are best when done on the Egg with a good sear and pink in the middle. I gave up cooking over 750 deg - no real need for it. Steaks that are under 2" thick may not even need to dwell - I have gone to searing until done to the internal temp wanted with no dwell at all. A good quick reading thermometer is a real help here. When your cooking times amount to only 6-8 min it's pretty touchy about time so play with adding or subtracting times to get it the way you like. I double check with the thermometer to be sure. If you don't like a good sear, then play with dwelling as this will cut back on the blackness (which I love). Thicker steaks work best - IMHO.[p]Tim
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Mop,[p] You burnt my steak, glad I could not make it over to your place. Next time let me know & then we can burn them together over a bud. Yes I said Bud!!! Barb & I have quails on our large as I type & boy they look good.
    Will tell you just how they turn out it & post picsreal soon. I listened to C.Woody & the way he does his chicken, seems to be working a-okay.[p]Earl

• Mop
    Options
    MickeyT.,what temp were you cookin them at?

• Mop
    Options
    Thank you all for the vote of confidence!
    I will try them at 600º next time...
    It`s a good thing my brother in law has tasted what the green cooker is capable of.......He and my sister said after eating pulled pork that they will never eat sliced again...[p]Mo[p!

• MrsSpin
    Options
    Mop,
    Spin has play with steaks several ways. We do steaks anywhere from 1 to 1 3/4". I'm one of these people who must have a steak well done. It drives Spin nuts. I can't get out of the habit of Mom's cooking. No matter the cut of beef, She swore beef hated her. My Mother,God love her, would and did make shoe leather out of beef. Being my mother's daughter, I like beef well done in a way; that then I cut it, it doesn't moo back at me. Spin has figured it out. [p]Steaks for me are 1 minute @ 800 on each side and dwell for 5 minutes. The steaks are then well done, but juicy from being seared.[p] By lowering the dwell time, You can adjust.If you want medium dwell for about 3 minutes, If you want rare, mmaaybe let it dwell for a minute. Truthfully, the more my hubby cooks, the happier I am. Call me spoiled. Mrs. Spin

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Mop,[p]JJ is right on the money here. I don't know the temp of my steak cooks because it far exceeds the 750 on my thermometer.[p]Mick