Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Sous Vide to BGE Combo Never Fails

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
edited September 2016 in EggHead Forum
Like many of you, I've gotten into the SV cooking.  I like to combine it with finishing on the BGE.  The process is generally to cook in the SV for an extended period ahead of time, let cool in the fridge, and then finish by smoking on the Egg.  I've tried it now with spare ribs, turkey breast, salmon, brisket, and over the weekend - Adam Perry Lang's chicken satay recipe (from Serious Barbecue).  Sorry I didn't get any pics, but they were gone quick!  

The recipe's the usual APL one.  You marinade the chicken tenders for about 6 hrs, and then grill over high heat fast while applying a glaze.  I mixed it up by throwing them in the SV after the marinade (Anova has a recipe), letting them cool in the fridge, and then adding char on the BGE later.  They were... ridiculously tender.  If you have the means, I highly recommend this recipe and approach.  

What I like about this approach, in addition to the end product, is how consistent and reliable it is.  There was never any question that the tenders were cooked out of the SV.  So I just went with pure appearance on the Egg in terms of getting the right amount of char.  I've found the same thing with the spare ribs I do - very consistent.  I've only done brisket once, but will be using this approach again.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Great. I need to get a sous vide, haha. Can you recommend one that is good but wont break the bank? And Ill need a vacuum sealer, correct? I would normally be cooking for 2 or 3 at the most. Thanks @JohnInCarolina for the help.
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    No pics? 

I knew I was going to catch sheaht for that from the usual suspects.  Never change Michael!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    edited September 2016
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    Great. I need to get a sous vide, haha. Can you recommend one that is good but wont break the bank? And Ill need a vacuum sealer, correct? I would normally be cooking for 2 or 3 at the most. Thanks @JohnInCarolina for the help.
    I got my Anova unit for $99 during an Amazon sale.  You just have to pay attention for those - they come around every once in awhile.  They're about $200 otherwise.  There are some others from other companies that are less well known but probably just as good.  Maybe some other folks here will chime in.  

You don't need a vacuum sealer to SV, but it definitely helps.  But here's a key point about having one: it can actually save you money.  The reason is that you will use it for leftovers.  We vacuum seal any leftovers we have from any large Egg cook, and throw them in the freezer.  Then you reheat in the SV - just drop the bag in - and you'll get the freshest leftovers you've ever had, perfectly reheated.   It will honestly change your life.  
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have a vacuum sealer but I usually just use the "seal the ziplock submersed in water" trick when cooking sous vide.
    NOLA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    No pics? 

I knew I was going to catch sheaht for that from the usual suspects.  Never change Michael!
    Ha! You've been around long enough to know the gig. I'm sure it was outstanding! 
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    Sounds awesome.   What is the purpose of the cooling in the fridge?  Does it stop the cooking, or just give you the flexibility to wait?

Thanks!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Well, it sounds excellent.  I've been wanting to get an anova, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm going to need a smaller egg (or something) if I'm going to be firing it up just to char.

Travis must be laughing his @ss off now that everyone is boiling their food.  Who is going to host sous vide camp?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    pflug said:
    Sounds awesome.   What is the purpose of the cooling in the fridge?  Does it stop the cooking, or just give you the flexibility to wait?

Thanks!
    It gives you the flexibility for sure, but I think the main thing is that it prevents over-cooking.  You can also dip in an ice bath if you're pressed for time.  

• DieselkW
    Options
    Cheapest sous vide is an ordinary beer cooler.  Put boiling water in the cooler, then immerse the tip of your thermopen and add ice cold water until you get to 5º above your target temp.
    Add your vacuum bag of meat, and check it every 45 minutes, adding boiling water if necessary to keep your temp up.

I've only done it once, but it worked great on steaks, a 90 minute sous vide that held temp at 135º the whole time, after dropping 5º from putting 3 cold steaks in the water.  The steaks came out a lot like a reverse sear - grill marks on the exterior, medium rare top to bottom. Thermopen had them at 140º interior after grilling.

Total cost: A $30 cooler that I already had and can use for keeping stuff cold as well as hot.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199015/redneck-sous-vide#latest

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Well, it sounds excellent.  I've been wanting to get an anova, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm going to need a smaller egg (or something) if I'm going to be firing it up just to char.

Travis must be laughing his @ss off now that everyone is boiling their food.  Who is going to host sous vide camp?

LOL.  Travis is on to the SV as well.  

I think we're talking about SV'ing one of the briskets at @nolaegghead 's camp this year, just to mess around.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Cheapest sous vide is an ordinary beer cooler.  Put boiling water in the cooler, then immerse the tip of your thermopen and add ice cold water until you get to 5º above your target temp.
    Add your vacuum bag of meat, and check it every 45 minutes, adding boiling water if necessary to keep your temp up.

I've only done it once, but it worked great on steaks, a 90 minute sous vide that held temp at 135º the whole time, after dropping 5º from putting 3 cold steaks in the water.  The steaks came out a lot like a reverse sear - grill marks on the exterior, medium rare top to bottom. Thermopen had them at 140º interior after grilling.

Total cost: A $30 cooler that I already had and can use for keeping stuff cold as well as hot.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1199015/redneck-sous-vide#latest

Redneck SV - I like it!

That'll work for things that only need an hour or so.  I do my ribs for 18hrs, and the brisket I did over the weekend was in for 24.  Some folks are going a lot longer on various cooks.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice. I've been contemplating the SV-->BGE method for some time.

What time/temp for the chix tenders and turkey breast? I smoked 2 turkey breasts for the office holiday party last year, but might SV/BGE this year.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

What time/temp for the chix tenders and turkey breast? I smoked 2 turkey breasts for the office holiday party last year, but might SV/BGE this year.
    Chicken tenders were in the SV for 1:15 at 140F.  

Last year for Thanksgiving we had a lot of people over, and I was worried about not having enough turkey.  So in addition to the one I did on the Egg, I threw a couple of turkey breasts into the SV.  There was no comparison in terms of moisture and flavor, the SV breasts were miles better.  I did them at 145F for three hrs. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    You failed this test professor.  You failed to show your work.  

Image result for pictures or it didnt happen
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    We need to SV a brisket at BC if time allows.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hmmm... Using your Professor card are we? :wink:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    good lord I hate typing on my iphone. Had to correct almost every sentence. Didn't seem to have that problem on my last phone but this one has been a nightmare since day 1. I've had it over a year so you would figure I would be use to it by now. Nope.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Great post. I've been trying SV-BGE occasionally, usually have decent results but had few bad experiences with over smoking the meat (lo and slo) after the SV... still learning.

My favourite method for turkey is from Chefsteps, sv leg roulade + breast lo n slo in the oven.

Couple of things I want to try (read in MCAH) are sv-sear kebabs and caseless sausages.
    canuckland
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:

SV turkey breast is one of the highest payoff cooks for the tech. I'll dig up the recipe we used last year. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've only done steaks on the SV/BGE but they are masterful.   Here's an SRF ribeye

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Raymont said:
    Love my SV, but don't really SV ribeyes anymore. Reverse sear is a better tasting steak IMO. SV gets a workout on chicken, pork chops, filet's, salmon.. but ribeyes... reverse sear is king. 
    I agree.  The added flavor you get from the smoke makes a big difference.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

SV turkey breast is one of the highest payoff cooks for the tech. I'll dig up the recipe we used last year. 
    Keeping secrets, eh? Actually, I remember you talking about it, but don't recall the specifics.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Man I want some turkey now. I might fire up the SV this week if a good recipe comes through. 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I been doing the opposite with great results. I smoke a chuck roast or a corned beef brisket until about 165, cool and then vac seal and put in the fridge and when I want it for so her I put in the sous vide the day before the evening I want it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    I been doing the opposite with great results. I smoke a chuck roast or a corned beef brisket until about 165, cool and then vac seal and put in the fridge and when I want it for so her I put in the sous vide the day before the evening I want it. 
    Why not?   Sounds like a good idea to me!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yeah I want a Turkey too now!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    smokeyj said:
    Would that be called reverse SV?
    If the name reverse SV sticks im claiming it ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.