Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help, Pork Butt 22+ hour cook

Options
Hoping someone can help me out. I have an 8lb pork butt, that has been on the grill for almost 24 hours. I have a cyberQ temp controller and have charted the pork progress. 
details
8Lb pork butt
235 degree constant temp, verified with cybercook app and associated graph
took roughly 5 hours to platue at 160 degrees, then took another 7.5 hours to climb again.

I used the convegerator and a drip pan, adding a little moisture at about hour 7 (apple juice).

Just wondering if I am doing something wrong or should I expect this long of a cook

Thank you

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Definitely sounds too long for an 8 pounder.  

You really don't need to add moisture to a BGE cook.  All you're doing there is actually delaying the cook.  

Did you check the butt temp in other locations?  What is it probing at for an internal temp right now?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Give the bone a tug-if it pulls clean you are there-if bone-less, disregard  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Vanbey
    Options
    currently at 188.9, dome temp is very close to grill temp monitor reading. Used an external temp guafe and measured the same as the probe temp for pork temp

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I agree with @lousubcap - give the bone a tug and see if it comes clean.  If there's no bone, you could just probe it in a few spots and see how it's probing. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I had a 10 pounder take a little over 24 hours @ 225. They all have a mind of their own. It is not normal but it happens.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    With a temp that low, it'll take that long depending on the butt. Bump that temp up a little to 275 and it'll be done pretty quickly. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    I do my butts on a WSM, have been able to consistently dial it in at 225º - 230º, always resulting in a 22 - 24 hours cook.
    Like the previous reply stated, if you need to hurry it give it some more oxygen, bump up the temp.

• Terrebandit
    Options
    That's crazy long.  Use the Texas crutch with a 1/2 cup of DP and finish it to 203. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    If your at 188 and it's not probing good.  Pull that sucker and chop it up! Will be just as tasty.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• jeroldharter
    Options
    Next time, go turbo at 350. I have a friend with a Traeger who insists on going at 250 for something like 17 hours - that's great but it is no better than 5-6 hours on the egg at 350. I do about 10 pro shoulders a year and used to go at 250, but no more. Turbo is just as good and much easier.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    doesnt help on this go...but I usually cook mine between 225 and 275, depending on fat content...The more fat the lower the cook, the more fat renders down...I wrap mine..i know to each their own...at 160 and i havent been shy to let the cooker climb up to about 3 hundy to choke it back down...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Next time, go turbo at 350. I have a friend with a Traeger who insists on going at 250 for something like 17 hours - that's great but it is no better than 5-6 hours on the egg at 350. I do about 10 pro shoulders a year and used to go at 250, but no more. Turbo is just as good and much easier.
    Was on the fence, after reading this I'm definitely going to try!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    There are lots of dots between 235 and 350.
    Find a temp that works with your time frame. Remember you can foil and cooler them for several hours. Put them on at 235 before you go to bed and run the temp up in the morning depending on when you want to start eating.
    Butts are VERY forgiving. At higher temps you do need to monitor very close towards the end of the cook. 30 minutes past your target temp cooking at 235 would still give you a good Butt, 30 minutes past your target temp at 350 would really dry it out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    And remember that the higher you get in the turbo range, the more the sugary/sweet rubs will blacken.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Vanbey said:
    Hoping someone can help me out. I have an 8lb pork butt, that has been on the grill for almost 24 hours. I have a cyberQ temp controller and have charted the pork progress. 
    details
    8Lb pork butt
    235 degree constant temp, verified with cybercook app and associated graph
    took roughly 5 hours to platue at 160 degrees, then took another 7.5 hours to climb again.

I used the convegerator and a drip pan, adding a little moisture at about hour 7 (apple juice).

Just wondering if I am doing something wrong or should I expect this long of a cook

Thank you
    Expect a long cook a 235°.  Bump the temp up to 275°+ and enjoy earlier.  I just did about 37lbs of shoulder and took about 16hrs.  I went 250° mostly, then bumped to 275° to push it faster.  I had time to burn on this cook so it timing wasn't a big deal. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site