Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Couple of Pulled Pork ??'s

Options
SirKeats
SirKeats Posts: 159
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm planning on doing a modified EW method. I just have a couple questions...[p]The dome temp for the EW pulled pork is 200... right? Until internal on piggy hits 175ish then you blaze to like 275ish until you hit 200?[p]At 200 dome... I can expect 1.5 - 2hrs a lb right?[p]At 200 internal when I pull, I should put in a warm cooler for a couple hours - correct?[p]Also... for pulled pork, is Shoulder Butt or Picnic Shoulder better... or is there absolutely no difference?[p]Lastly... whever is better (butt or picnic)... should I ask the butcher to do anything specific to it... or do I just ask for one or the other and take what he give me?[p]Thanks for the info!

Comments

• Slap-Yo-Mama
    Options
    SirKeats,[p]Method looks good to me. I would figure on 2 hrs per pound minimum. 1.5 hrs per pound will not be enough at 200 degrees.
    As far as the meat, go with the bone in butt.[p]I think diluted apple juice in the drip pan is good.[p]I did two 8 pound butts two weeks ago, just as you described and they were awesome.[p]On a side note, I agree with what the Naked Whiz says about the cheap buns for sandwiches. The kaiser rolls, etc. are too much bread and it takes away from the bbq.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    SirKeats,
    1. Yes, Elder Ward recommends 200° dome[p]2. Most likely 2 to 2 1/2 or longer per pound. 200° dome is around 185° at the cooking level. It will take a long time for the butt to get to 175° internal before you ramp up the temp.[p]3. Butt is very popular, picnics have a stronger flavor and some areas of darker meat, some of which has a ham-like texture. I'm okay with either one.[p]4. Get a bone-in one from the butcher, it will have more flavor.[p]The link will take you to my shoulder page, it is not as detailed as Elder Wards, but there are a few pictures and a summary of how I like to do shoulders.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JohnF
    JohnF Posts: 31
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I would have the dome at closer to 250. And my experience is at that temperature it takes about 2 1/2 hrs per pound.[p]Expect your temperature to plateau at around 165 for better than an hour before it starts rising again.[p]I usually pull mine at 195 and wrap in foil and a place in a cooler for an hour or so. Usually the temp rises to about 205.[p]And be sure to consume a couple of ice cold ones.[p]Enjoy and let us know how it went.

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    I've only done one butt so far ...[p]I followed the EW method to a T. [p]Dome Temp was at 200 for a 4.5# bone in butt. Started at 10pm. Temp was still stable at 200* at 12pm when I went to bed. [p]Woke up at 6am and Temp in Dome was 215* with meat probe readding 185 internal. [p]Bumped BGE up to 275* for several hours until internal probe was 200*. [p]Took meat off and wrapped in Heavy Aluminum foil. Let it sit for 3 or 4 hours due to not being time to eat yet. Temp went up to 205, then dropped to 165 over the next 3 hours. [p]Pulled pork at that temp and it was great.[p]I have no idea when my butt reached 185* as I was asleep, but it seemed to stay there as long as the Dome temp was close to 200*.[p]I would recommend that you make sure your temp gauge is calibrated before you start this. It's pretty important to know what you are cooking at.[p]
  • Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    SirKeats,
    I do it at 250 dome. I only blaze away when time is running out then I have no problem going to 300 if needs be for last hour or two.Butt nothing but Butt and all Butt. Yeah it makes a hugh difference. But that is just my opinion and it aint gospel. But it is my preferrence.
    Elder Ward

• SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    Elder Ward,[p]Sweet. Thanks bro. I'll go 250 then and expect 2 hrs a lb. Thanks!