Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey and stuffing advice

Options
So, I've been nominated to do our family turkey for Thanksgiving (Canadian, that is) in a few weeks. Obviously, I'd like to do it on the Egg.

I've done some searches and have seen the legendary Naked Whiz's Mad Max turkey recipe along with some other resources. I've also seen a few that say you can't (or perhaps shouldn't) cook a stuffed turkey on the Egg.

Can anyone point me to some good recipes for a great Thanksgiving turkey? If feasible, I'd love to do one that is lightly smoked (and that features stuffing inside, if not inherently problematic!).

Thanks in advance all!!

Comments

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    I did a boneless turkey with stuffing..  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1189313/boneless-turkey-success#latest

A little extra prep, but pretty easy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Give spatch turkey a look (search function here has improved) for a different option.  Don't know the size of your BGE or the planned size of the bird but in English units around 18-20 LBs is the most you can get spatched on a LBGE without getting creative.  
    I am in the camp of stuffing as a solo cook.  If you go with a "normal" turkey cook, throw some aromatics in the cavity and enjoy the cook.  
    Wherever you land, have fun. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    I agree, spatchcock is fast and simple,  but definitely no stuffing.  I had trouble getting a 17 lb bird to fit on my LBGE, I ended up draping over my rib rack to get it to fit.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173831/any-suggestions-spatchcock-turkey-a-little-too-big#latest

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Have you tried the Naked Whiz' turkey? It was without a doubt the best turkey I ever ate, every time I cooked it. Partnered with the gravy, it is outstanding. Just make the stuffing on the side.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have done Spatchcock the last three years with great success.  Before that, I would follow Mad Max and my brother would bring a bird filled with stuffing and cook it in the oven.  Everyone ate his stuffing, and my turkey.  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I am also in the spatchcock camp, though the appearance might not make for the best presentation if you carve at the table. I am also a Mickey's coffee rub devotee. It's just so good for turkey.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For presentation and gravy, Mad Max Turkey. For simplicity and great outcome, spatchcock.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions all.

Am I right that stuffing a bird to the cooked (or perhaps smoked) on the Egg is not advised? Is this just because smoke flavour then permeates the stuffing?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've been doing this for years for Thanksgiving. Have done it on the egg and it's good too. Agree with others on Max's turkey. Where is that lousy Caps fan anyway? He didn't do stuffed birds on the egg cause he said the dressing got too smokey.

Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,120

November 2014 edited November 2014 in Poultry
    I've done this dressing/stuffing for many years now to go along with Max's turkey. Use your own mixture but the method is as good as it is cooked in the bird.

( (sted by: Little Steven on 2008/10/11 15:06:23  

In Reply to: See post below NMSG posted by Little Steven on 2008/10/11 14:47:42

I think I messed up explaining this last year so I will try again with pics. Sorry it is so long
    First make a dark turkey stock (roasted backs and necks, wings and mirepoix)
    Then fry sausage onions, celery, garlic and peppers
    Herbs, pick 'em. I use thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley (didn't want to sound like Art Garfunkle by saying it the other way)
    Chop the herbs and more garlic
    Punch holes in an aluminum pan
    Make some foil balls and place in another pan
    Put some stock in the pan with the foil balls
    Mix sausage, dry bread, veg and herbs in, moisten with some stock and clarified butter
    Place a couple of turkey wings and necks on top

Put the stuffing pan with the holes on the one with the stock and cover both pans with foil and bake for about three hours at 350*
    Remove foil and cook till browned on top

Happy Thanksgiving

Steve 

Caledon, ON )

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BrueggeDad
    Options
    I'm old school, for some reason I can't bring myself to spatchcock a turkey.  I will do it to a chicken all day long.  I like the turkey whole and typically with stuffing.  But on the egg I would separate the turkey and the stuffing and put herbs and/or apples in the cavity.  But that's just me.  Good luck.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    I've had turkey stuffed with sauerkraut on a weber grill that was one of the best turkeys I've eaten. Should be even better on a BGE. Google "grilled turkey stuffed with sauerkraut" and you'll find something tasty.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I like MadMax - but rather than mess with icing the breasts, I just cook it upside down for the first one or two hours. Stuffing can be cooked outside the bird in a pan, covered/uncovered depending on how moist or how much smoke you want. Not sure if you have tried stuffing/dressing outside the bird, once you do it is hard to go back to it inside the bird. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BikerBob
    Options
    The problem is not smokey stuffing, it is getting sausage or other meat in the stuffing done before the turkey becomes dry. Just did a breast, which in this case is a turkey minus wings and legs. At 160 it was moist and tasty-only a little more and it would not have been.
    Cooking on the coast
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive gone the two bird route, the egged bird i shoot for perfection with max's directions, the other goes in the oven with stuffing and that one gets overcooked a little shooting for safety. the juices from the turkey are supposed to get fully cooked to 160/165 but i shoot for maybe 145 to 150 in the stuffing were the meat is over cooked a little to 175. you cant make stuffing casserole taste like stuffing from inside the bird. instead of one big bird we go the 12 to 14 pound route and cook 2
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    should also mention that the crust on stuffing taste bitter to me when smoked and thats the best part from the oven bird. have done it like this in the egg to avoid the bitter taste (some like the flavor)

frankenturkey =)

100_1159jpg

fukahwee maine

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Am I right that stuffing a bird to the cooked (or perhaps smoked) on the Egg is not advised? Is this just because smoke flavour then permeates the stuffing?
    The recommendation is not based on smoke flavor. Food safety issues call for the stuffing to be cooked to 165ºF (74ºC).  By the time this occurs, the meat will be overcooked.  No way around this.  This applies to egg cooking or in the kitchen oven.

Cook dressing separately.  Add collected pan drippings at the end if desired.  If you insist on the fancy table presentation, you can always stuff the turkey with dressing after they both are cooked.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishlessman
    Options

The recommendation is not based on smoke flavor. Food safety issues call for the stuffing to be cooked to 165ºF (74ºC).  By the time this occurs, the meat will be overcooked.  No way around this.  This applies to egg cooking or in the kitchen oven.

Cook dressing separately.  Add collected pan drippings at the end if desired.  If you insist on the fancy table presentation, you can always stuff the turkey with dressing after they both are cooked.
    and dressing will never taste like stuffing, little stevens recipe is as close as i can get, but its still dressing, not stuffing. the safety food police ruin everything from burgers down to stuffing =)
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    The problem is not smokey stuffing, it is getting sausage or other meat in the stuffing done before the turkey becomes dry. Just did a breast, which in this case is a turkey minus wings and legs. At 160 it was moist and tasty-only a little more and it would not have been.

I don't understand your comment. What would be the difference between cooking the bird in the oven or the egg? I didn't say that the stuffing got too smoky I said that's what Max said.

Steve 

Caledon, ON