Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Couple of Pulled Pork ??'s

SirKeatsSirKeats Posts: 159
edited 5:01PM in EggHead Forum
So I'm planning on doing a modified EW method. I just have a couple questions...[p]The dome temp for the EW pulled pork is 200... right? Until internal on piggy hits 175ish then you blaze to like 275ish until you hit 200?[p]At 200 dome... I can expect 1.5 - 2hrs a lb right?[p]At 200 internal when I pull, I should put in a warm cooler for a couple hours - correct?[p]Also... for pulled pork, is Shoulder Butt or Picnic Shoulder better... or is there absolutely no difference?[p]Lastly... whever is better (butt or picnic)... should I ask the butcher to do anything specific to it... or do I just ask for one or the other and take what he give me?[p]Thanks for the info!
·

Comments

• SirKeats,[p]Method looks good to me. I would figure on 2 hrs per pound minimum. 1.5 hrs per pound will not be enough at 200 degrees.
    As far as the meat, go with the bone in butt.[p]I think diluted apple juice in the drip pan is good.[p]I did two 8 pound butts two weeks ago, just as you described and they were awesome.[p]On a side note, I agree with what the Naked Whiz says about the cheap buns for sandwiches. The kaiser rolls, etc. are too much bread and it takes away from the bbq.

·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    SirKeats,
    1. Yes, Elder Ward recommends 200° dome[p]2. Most likely 2 to 2 1/2 or longer per pound. 200° dome is around 185° at the cooking level. It will take a long time for the butt to get to 175° internal before you ramp up the temp.[p]3. Butt is very popular, picnics have a stronger flavor and some areas of darker meat, some of which has a ham-like texture. I'm okay with either one.[p]4. Get a bone-in one from the butcher, it will have more flavor.[p]The link will take you to my shoulder page, it is not as detailed as Elder Wards, but there are a few pictures and a summary of how I like to do shoulders.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Link[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • JohnFJohnF Posts: 31
    SirKeats,
    I would have the dome at closer to 250. And my experience is at that temperature it takes about 2 1/2 hrs per pound.[p]Expect your temperature to plateau at around 165 for better than an hour before it starts rising again.[p]I usually pull mine at 195 and wrap in foil and a place in a cooler for an hour or so. Usually the temp rises to about 205.[p]And be sure to consume a couple of ice cold ones.[p]Enjoy and let us know how it went.

·
  • JasonJason Posts: 45
    I've only done one butt so far ...[p]I followed the EW method to a T. [p]Dome Temp was at 200 for a 4.5# bone in butt. Started at 10pm. Temp was still stable at 200* at 12pm when I went to bed. [p]Woke up at 6am and Temp in Dome was 215* with meat probe readding 185 internal. [p]Bumped BGE up to 275* for several hours until internal probe was 200*. [p]Took meat off and wrapped in Heavy Aluminum foil. Let it sit for 3 or 4 hours due to not being time to eat yet. Temp went up to 205, then dropped to 165 over the next 3 hours. [p]Pulled pork at that temp and it was great.[p]I have no idea when my butt reached 185* as I was asleep, but it seemed to stay there as long as the Dome temp was close to 200*.[p]I would recommend that you make sure your temp gauge is calibrated before you start this. It's pretty important to know what you are cooking at.[p]
    ·
  • Elder WardElder Ward Posts: 330
    SirKeats,
    I do it at 250 dome. I only blaze away when time is running out then I have no problem going to 300 if needs be for last hour or two.Butt nothing but Butt and all Butt. Yeah it makes a hugh difference. But that is just my opinion and it aint gospel. But it is my preferrence.
    Elder Ward

·
  • SirKeatsSirKeats Posts: 159
    Elder Ward,[p]Sweet. Thanks bro. I'll go 250 then and expect 2 hrs a lb. Thanks!
    ·