Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using water and water pan for smoking

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
using the BGE, do any of you ever use water in a water pan while slow smoking? I know it says it is not necessary but I wondered if it would enhance the moister level of the slow smoked meat? If you do, how do you set up the BGE for this?

Comments

• mad dawg,[p]Have used beer, ginger ale, orange juice and apple juice when slow cooking ribs, butts and turkey breasts. I don't know if it does any good but it sure can't hurt. If it feels good, do it. Getting ready to put on a pork tenderloin on the SGE to go along with the Hoppin' John and Greens.[p]Happy New Year[p]Tar Heel
  • mad dawg,[p]Water pan is used for indirect heat.[p]Line pan with one piece of aluminum foil in such a way that there are no creases inside the pan. That will make the pan a lot easier to clean.[p]As far a water in the pan is concerned, I never put it in unless I'm cooking over 200 + degrees. No need to since water isn't going to evaporate into vapor under that temp.[p]Some will argue that even then water won't help make the meat any more moist. I disagree. I have found that putting water in the pan at that high temp helps maintain and even add to moisture. But to each his/her own. [p]Anthony[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    mad dawg,[p]The difference in the cook (water/no water) tends to be in the temperature control of your Egg. The water intially acts as a huge thermal barrier, holding cooking temp to 250°F and below. As the water evaporates (this can take many hours), the temp rises. On a low and slow overnight cook, you can go to bed with the dome at 220°F and wake up to 300°+F. The water also represents a load on the fire, tending to use up the lump faster.[p]I have cooked with and without water in the drip pan (up to a gallon) and cannot say water actually helps the moisture level in the meat. Air can hold only so much moisture (100%), and I've only seem a difference in the surface of the meat. The resulting moisture in the meat is not water, rather rendered fat, collegen, and such. Your Egg is very efficient at preserving moisture in the meal. Cooking the meal to the proper doneness is much more important than attempting to achieve a higher moisture level in the cooking area.[p]Spin[p]