Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Brisket is on!

Options
Well here it is!  My first attempt at cooking a SRF brisket.
Trimmed weight is a little over 13 lbs.
I plan on a 15 hr cook and will FTC for a few hours prior to serving.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Have fun!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    More salt and pepper if it's not too late. Double it
    Just added some more. I set it on the XL about an hour ago. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dstearn said:
    More salt and pepper if it's not too late. Double it
    Just added some more. I set it on the XL about an hour ago. 
    Perfect. Brisket can really take a lot. Enjoy. You are in for a treat. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Can't wait to see this one. Enjoy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dstearn
    Options
    It is 10:00 AM and the beast has been smoking since 11:30 pm last night at 225 grate. I had an problem with a new grate probe which was defective when I started the cook. After I replaced it with the old probe the temp stabalized at 225 and has stayed that way all night. Plan is to probe for tenderness at 185 internal.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Good plan but don't be surprised if you end up in the low 200's before that flat lets loose and probes like buttah.  Great eats await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Good plan but don't be surprised if you end up in the low 200's before that flat lets loose and probes like buttah.  Great eats await.  
    Got it! It is "The Stall" now. As I was prepping it I could see the difference in quality compared to my previous cooks.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I use lots of salt and pepper. Makes a GREAT crust!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• dstearn
    Options
    Checked at 185 however my meat probe was in the point not the flat. Relocated the probe and it is now 178. 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Getting hungrier and hungrier.  So hard to concentrate on work with everyone on here Egging!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    Options
    A thing of beauty right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    A thing of beauty right there.  
    Agreed, gotta do a brisket again, soon.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dstearn
    Options
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Got it! It is "The Stall" now. As I was prepping it I could see the difference in quality compared to my previous cooks.
    Just probed at 187. Still not probing like butter. Will check when it reaches 195.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That look amazing! I still haven't had the right occasion to cook mine. One of these days...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dstearn said:
    dstearn said:
    lousubcap said:
    Just probed at 187. Still not probing like butter. Will check when it reaches 195.
    last one I had was 203. the first 3 were in the high 180's. They are all a bit different but when it lets go, you will know it with these.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have had prime go at 189-190. Relax, it is done, when it is done. Enjoy the results.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll throw this out there as well. at 225, you may have many hours left. Not sure when you want to eat but could be 4-5 more hours if your flat is stalled at 170. That bark looks pretty new to me (very mahogany in color and very few dark spots). I'm thinking you have a ways to go. Hard to tell by looking but mine are way darker than that by the time they are done.

• dstearn
    Options
    I'll throw this out there as well. at 225, you may have many hours left. Not sure when you want to eat but could be 4-5 more hours if your flat is stalled at 170. That bark looks pretty new to me (very mahogany in color and very few dark spots). I'm thinking you have a ways to go. Hard to tell by looking but mine are way darker than that by the time they are done.

I raised the grate temp to 250 about 2 hrs ago. Close to 190 now.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    dstearn said:

home stretch

• dstearn
    Options
    dstearn said:

home stretch

Longer than I expected. Plenty of time till our guests arrive. We will be eating chips salsa and drinking Lone Star till its done.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    ^^^^ Great plan-
  • dstearn
    edited September 2016
    Options
    At 196 internal. Just probed with the Thermapen, still feeling resistance. Will let it ride till temp is 200. Bark is still not dark. Should I raise the grate temp?
  • dstearn
    Options
    The flat is starting to probe like butter just not the thickest part of the flat. Internal temp is 202.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Don't mess with the temp-you are close.  In most brisket cooks for me some part of the flat (not the thickest) will not join the party when the great majority gets the "probes like buttah" feel.  Regardless, I declare victory and wrap and pack (FTC) after letting it sit on a cooling rack for around 20 minutes to stop the carryover cooking.  Generally works.  FWIW-
  • dstearn
    Options
    Its the thickest part that has some resistance. The rest is like butter.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    This is one of those times-given you have cooked prior briskets then you know how close it is to hitting the promised land.  I would judge based on the volume of the thickest part-is the resistance across the entire flat to point seam or just pockets?  If random pockets then I would declare victory, if a great majority then I would hang on for a while longer.  But it's your brisket...
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    This is one of those times-given you have cooked prior briskets then you know how close it is to hitting the promised land.  I would judge based on the volume of the thickest part-is the resistance across the entire flat to point seam or just pockets?  If random pockets then I would declare victory, if a great majority then I would hang on for a while longer.  But it's your brisket...
    I have declared Victory!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It looks great. I with Cap. I find the rest usually pulled it through when it's this close. I never let them go over 203. At that point, even if they are not 100% like butter, a little time out in the cooler for misbehaving usually does the trick.

• lousubcap
    Options
    That is a piece of work-looks great and since you are into Lone Star then at the risk of the obvious-do not go down the burnt ends road.  Enjoy the point-a real banquet awaits.  Enjoy.