Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick Remote (for Kenny G.)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning Kenny,[p]You are one lucky fellow if your regular polders are right on the money. I use three of the clones with six probes. I have one probe at minus 3, four at minus 4, and one at minus 6 degrees when tested in boiling water. All of my probes register the same in any of the receivers. I put a piece of masking tape on each probe with the difference.[p]The Maverick is a whole nother story. I purchased four of these units to give as gifts and one for myself. I did keep two of them as I love them. My first unit was not as far off as yours. At room temp, I had about 8-9 degrees difference depending on where they were plugged in. Swapping the probes around "did" make a difference with this unit. I found less difference in boiling water. For example, one probe measured 211 in s2 and then 215 in s1. I reversed the probes and had both reading 213 in s1 and s2. I put masking tape on the probes and marked them plus 1 and which jack they go into. [p]Now I'm really gonna cornfuse you. With the addition of the second unit, I found that not only did I have a difference in the probes and where I plugged them in, I also had a difference in which transmitter the probes are used in. To make a long story short, I have found the best match with the two transmitters and the four probes. I have marked all the probes and which transmitter and jack they are used in. I did not find any difference in the receivers as both my transmitters shoot the same numbers to either receiver. I now have one probe at 211, one at 212, and two at 213 degrees when tested in boiling water. [p]I have not tried using both of them at the same time yet but it sure looks like it will work just fine. It does work at room temp. I have used the first unit for about three months on many cooks and just love it. Just super in the cold, snow, and rain to not have to go outside to check the smoker temp and one piece of meat. [p]Old Dave

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Thanks for the update, now I don't feel like the lone ranger. I really do enjoy the convenience of the remote capability and I guess I can just mentally compensate for the inaccuracy. A new piece of equipment should function properly IMHO. I am going to contact the company tommorrow and see what they might be able to do for me.[p]BTW, My Polders aren't really on the money, just a couple of degrees off in boiling water. Close enough for Government work hehehe[p]K~G

• Old Dave,
    Where did you get the remote? Amazon does not have them in stock....[p]Thanks & Happy New Year,
    Tar Heel

• Tar Heel,[p]My units did come from Amazon. I either read on this board or one of the others that these units won't be available again until February. You could call the folks that import the units and I think Tim has the phone number.[p]Old Dave

• Old Dave,[p]Thanks for the info. This has been the coldest winter in quite some time down here in Va Beach. One of those remotes would sure help keep my own butt from getting frozen everytime I fire up the egg.[p]Tar Heel

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Tar Heel,
    You are only a few hours away from the April eggfest location, but I dont think I saw your name in the guestbook. you comin??????????????? this is gonna be a doooooozy![p]Here is the link for those who are thinking of coming. I am pumped.
    NB

[ul][li]Eggfest 2001[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ