Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: wood burning stoves

Options
looking for a wood burning stove that doesn't require an electric blower. Want to be able to use to keep warm when the power goes out

trying to heat 1300 Sq ft

Comments

• womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
    Get yourself over to Hearth.com

http://www.hearth.com/talk/categories/main-hearth-forums.4/

Very friendly, lots of experience.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have 2 wood stoves for the house. First is a Vermont castings.  No catalytic converter.  This lets me burn it lower, and as long as I dry really dry wood, no creosote buildup. Same with the Woodstock beast that I have in my basement. It can take 7-8 28" logs at 5" diameter.  That is a lot of wood.  I burn between about 3 cords average a year, and I am in SE PA. 
    My stoves are older, but like cars, the beauty is in their simplicity

Have access to wood? Have a splitter? Or are you planning to buy it?  Wood heat is a lot of dirty work. All my firewood is on a 3 year drying cycle as I get little direct sun and little air movement at my place. You need space for that storage. 

I get the impression you do, but sometimes people do not really know what work is involved with heating with wood and what kind of work is involved. They just get caught up on the "romance" of it.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    search for Franklin wood stove. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    kind of pricey but harman has one with a grill setup for steaks =) mines a harman coal burning stove, never even started the furnace last year.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Sea2Ski thanks for the comments. 

I dont have a splitter.. But I do have a chain saw, axe and wedge. I grew up using a fireplace.. Just not familiar with the stoves. 

I love everything  about it.., I do have plenty of access to wood 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Had no idea they put catalytic converters on wood stoves.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    not sure what money your looking at but they make some really nice soapstone stoves. the soapstone does not heat the house as fast but will be easier to hold the house at temps over a longer period of time, less temp spikes. but if your just going to use it during a power failure it does not heat as quickly.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Me either.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/wood-stove-catalytic-converter-zmaz84ndzraw

Jotul 450, have access to free wood, just have to do the splitting, stacking, etc....love the heat it puts out, effiecency, and the less the oil truck comes around!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @DuckDogDr do yourself a favor.  Get a logsplitter if you get a stove. Trust me on this.  It was the best $$$ I spent 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Get a good log splitter.  I bought a cheap electric one and it isn't powerful enough to split live oak and the seals started leaking after a couple uses.
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    A lot of areas require catalytic wood stoves by law. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify the stove will be used all winter to offset the electric bill,
     but also will be my only heat source if the power is out 

Thanks for all the links. I'm going to my local dealer Monday and look too

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Woodstock makes excellent stoves. They are all soapstone and they have different sizes depending on square footage, insulation, etc. I can get an easy 12 hour burn time on mine in South East Pa most of the winter. Dry wood is the key though, if you don't have wood already put up for this winter it will be tough this year. Oh, none of their stoves have blowers either. They are not cheap but will last a life time. Hearth.com and firewoodhoardersclub.com both have review sections for stoves with honest input from readers, not dealers providing commercials.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2016
    Options
    No matter what stove you buy, in todays world of wood stoves you need seasoned wood. Preferably seasoned more then two years.

Other then that, spend some time on hearth.com.

Good luck in your search. BTW, you had some good recommendations on stove brands  above. Do some research.