Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Much Butt

Options
Jason
Jason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How much Butt do I need for 20-30 people. We'll have Ribs and Chicken also so I don't need enough to feed everyone, but I need enough to make sure everyone can get some if they want. I don't mind having leftovers either .... what would you recommend?[p]How long per pound should I expect before I can hit 200 internal if I'm cooking at 225 degrees?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Jason,[p]Cook two butts. [p]2 hours per pound. [p]Don't be afraid to cook ahead of time and heat up on the day of serving. [p]Odis
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Jason, I did 2 7+# butts last weekend and ended up with a 5qt crock pot clear full for a picnic and had a bunch left over I didn't weigh finished product but it served alot of people
    Gerry

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    Options
    Since you've got other meats, I'd figure about 1/4lb per person (on average). So maybe a 7-8 pounder?

• JonW
    JonW Posts: 1
    Options
    Jason,
    My dad (JimW) and I normally cook butts at for 1&1/2 hours per pound and pull them around 185-190 when we compete. We have let them go to 200 before but they are a litte dry when we do. Good luck!

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    Ok ... I'm thinking 2 butts @ 3-4 lbs, since my store doesn't sell 7-8 lbs buts. My question would be ... at the 2 hours per pound .... that for total weight regardless of how many butss, correct? [p]I'll be using a remote thermometer, but I just want to make sure I plan correctly so I can have the meat ready to eat the next day.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Jason, Total weght of 1 butt or 4# x 2hours# = app. 8 hours
    Gerry