Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How Much Butt

JasonJason Posts: 45
edited 3:28AM in EggHead Forum
How much Butt do I need for 20-30 people. We'll have Ribs and Chicken also so I don't need enough to feed everyone, but I need enough to make sure everyone can get some if they want. I don't mind having leftovers either .... what would you recommend?[p]How long per pound should I expect before I can hit 200 internal if I'm cooking at 225 degrees?
·

Comments

• Jason,[p]Cook two butts. [p]2 hours per pound. [p]Don't be afraid to cook ahead of time and heat up on the day of serving. [p]Odis
    ·
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    Jason, I did 2 7+# butts last weekend and ended up with a 5qt crock pot clear full for a picnic and had a bunch left over I didn't weigh finished product but it served alot of people
    Gerry

·
  • gmangman Posts: 106
    Since you've got other meats, I'd figure about 1/4lb per person (on average). So maybe a 7-8 pounder?

·
  • JonWJonW Posts: 1
    Jason,
    My dad (JimW) and I normally cook butts at for 1&1/2 hours per pound and pull them around 185-190 when we compete. We have let them go to 200 before but they are a litte dry when we do. Good luck!

·
  • JasonJason Posts: 45
    Ok ... I'm thinking 2 butts @ 3-4 lbs, since my store doesn't sell 7-8 lbs buts. My question would be ... at the 2 hours per pound .... that for total weight regardless of how many butss, correct? [p]I'll be using a remote thermometer, but I just want to make sure I plan correctly so I can have the meat ready to eat the next day.
    ·
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    Jason, Total weght of 1 butt or 4# x 2hours# = app. 8 hours
    Gerry

·