Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How Much Butt

JasonJason Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How much Butt do I need for 20-30 people. We'll have Ribs and Chicken also so I don't need enough to feed everyone, but I need enough to make sure everyone can get some if they want. I don't mind having leftovers either .... what would you recommend?[p]How long per pound should I expect before I can hit 200 internal if I'm cooking at 225 degrees?
·

Comments

• Jason,[p]Cook two butts. [p]2 hours per pound. [p]Don't be afraid to cook ahead of time and heat up on the day of serving. [p]Odis
    ·
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    Jason, I did 2 7+# butts last weekend and ended up with a 5qt crock pot clear full for a picnic and had a bunch left over I didn't weigh finished product but it served alot of people
    Gerry

·
  • gmangman Posts: 106
    Since you've got other meats, I'd figure about 1/4lb per person (on average). So maybe a 7-8 pounder?

·
  • JonWJonW Posts: 1
    Jason,
    My dad (JimW) and I normally cook butts at for 1&1/2 hours per pound and pull them around 185-190 when we compete. We have let them go to 200 before but they are a litte dry when we do. Good luck!

·
  • JasonJason Posts: 45
    Ok ... I'm thinking 2 butts @ 3-4 lbs, since my store doesn't sell 7-8 lbs buts. My question would be ... at the 2 hours per pound .... that for total weight regardless of how many butss, correct? [p]I'll be using a remote thermometer, but I just want to make sure I plan correctly so I can have the meat ready to eat the next day.
    ·
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    Jason, Total weght of 1 butt or 4# x 2hours# = app. 8 hours
    Gerry

·