Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ash behind the fire box

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The past few weeks I have had a hard time to obtain Rex temps.This morning I removed the fire box and found small mounds of ash on the inside surface of the Egg.Will this effect cooking temps? How often would you check this condition?

Comments

• Zilm-disabled
    Options
    darnoc, good question. I have had the same problem with my egg since day one except that the ash is on the side and not behind the firebox. It does not affect my temperature one bit just makes it harder to get all of the ash out. As long as you clean the egg out entirely once or twice a year you should be fine.

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    darnoc,
    any ash which restricts the free flow of air to the charcoal will interfeer with your temperature control.
    If the air can flow easily there is no problem. If you are having problems controling temps, or getting very high temps the build up of ash is a probable cause of this, and easily remedied. Roger

• Darnoc
    Options
    Zilm,
    I was thinking all the rain and high moisture in the air was effecting the lump.But had the same results with a new bag.I have two large Eggs that I cook on.Been an Eggor for two years and I dont think this question has ever been posted.Some of the long time PROS might chime in.

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    darnoc,
    Anal retentive person that I am, I remove the guts from the Egg twice a year (Start of Spring and end of Fall) and clean everything out. Couple of days BEFORE I do that I also do a high temp burn off. I used a paintbrush to sweep all the ash out.[p]Kelly

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    darnoc,
    One of the best investments I've made was the baby Shop-Vac. Rather than rake out the ash, I just stick the crevice tool in the intake (of course when the ash is cool). This not only sucks out ash beneath the grate, but from where it might have built up to constrict the holes in the firebox.[p]Ken

• Darnoc
    Options
    Zilm,
    Thanks for the info.You would think how often do you change your oil,never seen a mention of how many hours of cooking time you lift out the fire box and clean it out.It is a no brainer for me,but a lot of new Eggors might not be aware of the potential problem that occur.

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]A shop vac works incredibly well for this too.[p]and a question... Do you do enough BBQing during the winter to justify your timing on cleanings? Seams like that beging of spring one would be pretty light compared to the end of Fall cleaning..
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Master Mason,
    A shop vac would be wonderful, providing you make darn sure all the coals were cold - grin! Unfortunately mine shot craps and I can't justify a new one. You're right in that the spring cleaning is light compared to the Fall but I like starting summer with a clean Egg. That way I don't have to worry about it during peak season. I'll cop to not cooking as much during winter, but it's suprising how much I DO cook. Chock that one up to the superior Egg design![p]Kelly

• Darnoc
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Been there done that with the mini vac.I dont I ever ran that fast to get water.I do cook two to three days a week all year long.Now that I look back on the initial question I feel like a dummey.Ahh,like a Weber Kettle with the ash pan.What the h-- it can run over with no problems with air flow.I just thought many new Eggors might wonder about the question of ash behind the fire box.Sorry I created a problem.Have a good weekend,BEERS.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options

I guess I'm super anal retentive... but I clean mine out everytime I think about it! Sometimes it's twice a month, sometimes it's only once every six months.... just whenever I get the thought in my head. It's never too dirty in there, but the coal grate does get clogged up pretty bad with small bits. Especially if you put in upside down. ( The bevel or countersink of he holes works better if you put them down)

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    SuperDave,
    I clean mine out when the ash builds up to an inch or so below the coal grate, about once a month, depending whose lump I'm burning. -RP

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    darnoc,[p]I use my leaf blower to clean my egg out...But that is only when it has sat for a couple of days...
  • SuperDave
    Options
    AZRP,
    Yes! That is a big factor! It's amazing to me how much ash on lump will generate, compared to some others.

• SuperDave
    Options
    AZRP,
    Yes! That is a big factor! It's amazing to me how much ash one lump will generate, compared to some others.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    SuperDave,
    I hate to say it to you cause I know you had issues with them, but the least amount of ash I've seen from any coal was the billy bonz. I finished both bags and just didn't have any ash to speak of in the cooker. It was really the best lump I've ever used. But I still can't justify the price compared to RO at Wally. -RP

• Moni-Q
    Moni-Q Posts: 22
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,[p]If you're anal, then what category do I fall into - I remove the guts and clean it out at *every* cook! I take everything out and brush all of the components (including the Egg itself) to remove any and all ash. [p]Since I have a small Egg, it's easier to do. When (not if) I get my large BGE, I'll keep the same cleaning schedule, but I plan to use my Shop Vac on it - Those components are a lot heavier in the larger sizes than in the small! [p]
    I also think keeping a small Egg is more important that a larger size because ash will probably have more of an impact on a small Egg than a larger one. [p]
    Monica