Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beets?

I am planning to make borscht in the pressure cooker tomorrow. The recipe calls for steaming the beets in the pressure cooker before removing them, dicing them, then returning them to the cooker to continue. 
The thing is I am used to just putting potatoes or sweet potatoes in the Egg before I choke of the air in order to take advantage of the residual heat. I think beets take longer? Comments or suggestions?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2016
    @Gulfcoastguy
    I hate beets. But with that said, my wife makes me cook them for her in the PC. I'm certainly not a beet expert by any measure, as stated earlier I like them about as much as I like liberals. But cooking them in the PC is pretty straightforward. I raise them above the water line so they steam under pressure instead of boiling under pressure. 
    Simply remove any hair from them, trim the ends if desired, and depending on their size they will take between 12-18 minutes. A good rough average is 15 minutes. Again, the texture comes out better if you keep them above the water line. More often than not, I only use 1/2 cup of water. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    It depends on the size.  I usually clean them and wrap in foil.  It takes about 45-60 minutes @ 350F for medium sized beets; indirect works better for me.  When they are done, I let them rest for a good 30 minutes before peeling them (the skin comes off by itself when you brush them.

Botscht is good!

Typically, the beets are pre-cooked to loosen the skin, which can be quite tough, and has more of the strong flavor. Surprisingly, beets taste better when slightly cooked, sort of like brussel sprouts or some cabbage.

As w. many veg, the taste is better if they are young, ie, small. The variety has a lot to do w. the flavor. Chiogga, the stripped ones are noticabley sweeter than the standard red. Golden beets have a very mild flavor. I grew a few albino beets this summer, but haven't tried using them yet. They are supposed to have the mildest flavor.

• I've tried to grow beets before but I don't think that we have the right climate. I had one good year but then couldn't find the same seed again.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've tried to grow beets before but I don't think that we have the right climate. I had one good year but then couldn't find the same seed again.
    They do best in cooler weather. Given your handle, you might try starting them in late winter.  Also, they need a low acid soil. Adding some ash from your Egg might help.

There are a surprising variety of beets. I suppose the big red ones are the easiest to grow and get to market. Not the best IMO. Last year I grew some red ones called Cylindra, that are long and thin, and were supposed to be good keepers. They were, and being thin, sort of like a carrot or some radishes, were really easy to slice.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I cooked about 30 lbs of them in the egg this past summer, harvested all the beets from the garden and made a huge pile in the egg, went indirect at about 300 for 45 mins or so.  I had so many in there that I had to re-arrange the pile and let the ones in the center go longer but I cooled them, skinned them and cut them up for the freezer.  

If I was doing a small amount I would be wrapping them in foil like @paqman says above.  I wanted to try to get some smoke into them and I had so many that I skipped it.  Beets roasted in the Egg are amazing but I've never done it when choking the egg off.  Rather I put them beside what ever I'm cooking for the last 45 mins or so.  I am sure either way would work but they do take a bit of time, at least as long as a large baking potato.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Many root veg do well cooked in a salt pack. The salt can be left dry, slightly dampened to melt a little, or have some egg white as a binder. Not Egg specific, but some of the best beets I've had were Egg baked buried in a pan of salt. Came out shriveled, but tender, w. a good browned sugar taste.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    SGH said:
    @Gulfcoastguy
    I hate beets. But with that said, my wife makes me cook them for her in the PC. I'm certainly not a beet expert by any measure, as stated earlier I like them about as much as I like liberals. But cooking them in the PC is pretty straightforward. I raise them above the water line so they steam under pressure instead of boiling under pressure. 
    Simply remove any hair from them, trim the ends if desired, and depending on their size they will take between 12-18 minutes. A good rough average is 15 minutes. Again, the texture comes out better if you keep them above the water line. More often than not, I only use 1/2 cup of water. 
    Have you tried them smothered in butter & salt?
    I love steamed beets with lots of butter & salt on them.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Mmmmmmmm... Pickled beats.
  • Sorry to be slow to respond. I've been at the gym and the dog food store.
  • I hated beets as a kid, because Mom just boiled them to death.
    But now I really like them, but only roasted.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    This time of year it's $1.99 monopoly money for 10-lb bag here, no space/expertise to grow my own  :)  No freeze space to store either.
    I pressure steam them in Instant Pot for 12 minutes + natural pressure release.

canuckland
  • EVO, cast iron skillet, indirect heat 375, one hour later let cool enough to handle. Skin will peel right off. Slice with a little butter, S&P great side dish 

2XLBGE, Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini, 36" Blackstone
    Raymore, MO
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SGH said:
    @Gulfcoastguy
    Hey, we have something in common.  I like beets about as much as liberals too!

You can change the sweetness of beats by holding them at certain temperatures, much like sweet potatoes and yams, where then enzymes that convert complex carbohydrates to sugar are most active.   For malts, this is around 150F, look it up.  

(actually I make all this stuff up.  most vegetables don't need to convert starch to sugar for energy)
    spent most of my life thinking I hated beets, then I cooked them a few times & they're a favorite.  Boil long enough to loosen the skin so it peels off easily, slice & saute in olive oil, salt & pepper then toss into anything; the leaves are phenomenal as well.

add some onions & throw over pasta

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania