Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FYI cheap weber alert.

Options
Just saw Wally World is blowing the limited inventory they have out the door before winter.  I've always wanted the 14" smokey Joe for a small grill for camping.  Check out your local Walmart in the way back section.  They also had a 22 inch classic kettle pro for dirt cheap too they are all 1/2 off.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Great price!
    Would love to pick up a 14" WSM on the cheap there.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• onthegreen
    Options
    @Focker my store had about 15 of them. But they we're kinda hard to find they don't have them out on display or anything.  Good luck. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm guessing the Jumbo Joe must be close to hitting clearance as well. My previous Smokey Joe was great when tailgating weekly during summer/fall. Focker spread the good word about the Jumbo Joe and haven't looked back. Nice price for $14 though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @onthegreen,
    Thank you!
    A few phone calls,
    Silvis, nada
    Moline, negative
    Davenport, DING!

Lifted a pic from tvwb, dude was cool, gave me a price match.

The fam is complete.  First the 18, then the 22, and finally a 14.

Any walmart haters feel like stickin it to em, go grab one of these bad lil mofos.

Save money.  Smoke better.
    Walmart.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I'm guessing the Jumbo Joe must be close to hitting clearance as well. My previous Smokey Joe was great when tailgating weekly during summer/fall. Focker spread the good word about the Jumbo Joe and haven't looked back. Nice price for $14 though 
    No dice at Target this year V.  Seems my locations didn't stock Weber grills.   :s

The $19.99 Smokey Joe Platinum deal was epic.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    That's a steal. I have the portable Jumbo Joe that fits under the tonneau cover of the truck. A little more travel friendly but someone is going to get a nice grill for $34!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Focker said:
    @onthegreen,
    Thank you!
    A few phone calls,
    Silvis, nada
    Moline, negative
    Davenport, DING!

Any walmart haters feel like stickin it to em, go grab one of these bad lil mofos.

Walmart.
    They still made a profit. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    @onthegreen,
    Thank you!
    A few phone calls,
    Silvis, nada
    Moline, negative
    Davenport, DING!

Walmart.
    They still made a profit. 
    Worked in Seasonal for Lowe's through nursing school.  My discount vs cost on a Rancher was pathetic.  Gonna have to hit the disagree button heavy.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The margins are tighter with the Weber stuff.  And they(Weber), control them fairly well.  That's why you rarely see the bullets on sale, actually any of the Weber grills on sale, aside from seasonal clearance blowouts.  Take a hit, move it on out for the Christmas crap.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My store had a Kingsford gasser for 50 bucks. Sorry, no price tag pics. =) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Have a Wallmart nearby. Going to stop in in about 30 minutes and check it out. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Focker
    Options
    Did you grab it?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Focker said:
    Did you grab it?
    hahaha, no. Though if I saw a great deal on a Weber, gasser, I would. Trash the flavorizer bars and replace with an expanded metal rack and some lava rocks. Like the old Kenmore I had back in the 80s.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onthegreen
    Options
    I just check my other store that's close just for fun to see what they had and it was all gone Christmas stuff coming in.  So might be worth it to call in advance. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    nada on any Webers

Royal Oak 17 pounds under $10. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Even at a fire sale price of $14 they made money! Years ago in a different world when banks gave premiums as incentives for depositors' money my bank bought 3 semi truck loads of Smokey Joes. As premiums go they were an extremely popular items. At the end of the summer's promotion we still had a large inventory and sold them at cost to our employees. I recall I bought 8 of them for a song and gave them as Christmas presents that year. They were a BIG hit!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    No go here either. But thanks for the heads up. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I've had my Smokey Joe for years.  I use it for tailgating and for really small cooks at home when I'm feeling lazy.  Most of the time I fire up the egg and do it right, but on an ultra lazy day when I want a charcoal fire cook, but don't want to do the work, I put a little matchlight charcoal in the Smokey Joy, let it burn a while, and then put on the food.  Hey, it's better than cooking in the oven.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    My Wally has the WSM for $99, was waiting to see if it drops any further, they had 4 on the shelf last weekend, assume it's the 14". I have a large and MM, my wife asked what I would need it for and I didn't have a good answer, just knew it was a great deal.

What do you WSM owners use them for that the egg won't do?
  • Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1. Portability.  
    Lightweight, breaks down easy, no ceramic.
    2. Capacity in a small footprint.
    3. Ease of use.  

Temp control is rock solid once seasoned.  Guys can easily get 10 hours on one load.  Enough to get through an overnighter, reloading in the AM.

I love my small egg, but often find myself needing more real estate.  This paired with a Jumbo Joe, makes for an excellent traveling grab and grill combo.

I couldn't build one cheaper than $80.

It can grill running waterless with the door propped, great for wings.

When it comes to traditional bbq, the WSMs deliver.  The 14 is a cute lil bugger.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Neither of my wallys had any WSMs of any size. Dammit. Plenty of cowboy lump though. Woo freaking hoo. 
  • onthegreen
    Options
    Ok @Focker So went back to get a small smokey Joe for a friend and asked them if they had anything in the back. And it the way way back where they have the one outdoor open area they are staging all their Halloween stuff not even open to the public really anymore. But they had a couple more grills.  A gold one touch 22" for $70 and a WSM 14" for $80. Wasn't sure about the 14" size.  It seems too small.  Was hoping they would have a 18 cause of heard good things about the WSM but have never felt I needed one becaus I've got my egg. But for this price might be nice.  What can you cook on a WSM 14"? Like how many racks of ribs, etc? 
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @onthegreen buy the baby WSM! Where are you?
  • Focker
    Options
    Ok @Focker So went back to get a small smokey Joe for a friend and asked them if they had anything in the back. And it the way way back where they have the one outdoor open area they are staging all their Halloween stuff not even open to the public really anymore. But they had a couple more grills.  A gold one touch 22" for $70 and a WSM 14" for $80. Wasn't sure about the 14" size.  It seems too small.  Was hoping they would have a 18 cause of heard good things about the WSM but have never felt I needed one becaus I've got my egg. But for this price might be nice.  What can you cook on a WSM 14"? Like how many racks of ribs, etc? 
    Cut in half in rib racks, I have seen 4 racks.  Coiled, 6 racks.
    2 whole or spatchcocked chickens.
    2 8lb butts.

The OTG for 70 is a great deal too.  They didn't have any at my store. 
    You can smoke with that too.  Awesome grill for regular price. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This guy has me wanting one of those 26.75 kettles.  Nobody stocks them around me, so no clearance sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXB_lQYWols

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    edited September 2016
    Options
    blasting said:

This guy has me wanting one of those 26.75 kettles.  Nobody stocks them around me, so no clearance sales.

They're a beast.  Had one pop up on CL over the summer with Craycorts after finding a 22 WSM.  Hard to resist.  They make the 22 feel like a smokey joe. lol
    A SNS would be perfect with it.  Was going to get one of those after all of the reviews, but this 14 WSM is similar in price. 

That comparison is on par with mine and Q on BGE vs WSM.  I choose the one on the right.  Subjective, but I prefer the dark bark, smoke. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

They're a beast.  Had one pop up on CL over the summer with Craycorts after finding a 22 WSM.  Hard to resist.  They make the 22 feel like a smokey joe. lol
    A SNS would be perfect with it.  Was going to get one of those after all of the reviews, but this 14 WSM is similar in price. 

That comparison is on par with mine and Q on BGE vs WSM.  I choose the one on the right.  Subjective, but I prefer the dark bark, smoke. 
    I bet the Summit grill would have been better if the big water pan was skipped...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas