Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Newest Addition - Cajun Fryer

Options

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It's freaking awesome. 4 gal is great. I have a 6 gal so I could fit a big turkey. Get it.
    Also went with 6 for the Turkey option and it also uses the larger baskets.
    Thank you @Hotch for the advice of stepping up to the 6 gallon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I want one!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Now you guys are leading me to believe I should spend the extra $50.00 and get the 6 gallon. I guess it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm not looking for a cheaper version. I was also turned onto the Cajun Rocket Pot by SGH. If this is anywhere near that quality I will be a happy man. About how big a turkey will the 6 gallon handle? And the earlier information about filtering, buckets, and such all still stand? I appreciate the responses.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Moleman
    Brother, the Cajun fryers are top end. I have the 6 gallon as well as the 17 gallon. Both get the SGH nod of approval. The 6 gallon fryer will handle just about any turkey you may encounter. I have done a 24 pounder in my 6 gallon. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Moleman
    Brother, the Cajun fryers are top end. I have the 6 gallon as well as the 17 gallon. Both get the SGH nod of approval. The 6 gallon fryer will handle just about any turkey you may encounter. I have done a 24 pounder in my 6 gallon. 
    Only problem with this was I never thought I do anything but fry a turkey until I egg'd a turkey (MadMax method) and I'll never do another one any other way now.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Photo Egg
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Now you guys are leading me to believe I should spend the extra $50.00 and get the 6 gallon. I guess it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm not looking for a cheaper version. I was also turned onto the Cajun Rocket Pot by SGH. If this is anywhere near that quality I will be a happy man. About how big a turkey will the 6 gallon handle? And the earlier information about filtering, buckets, and such all still stand? I appreciate the responses.
    In my opinion, well worth the exta 50 bucks for the 6 gallon.
    Even the cash for the extra 2 gallons of oil is worth it to me.
    Home use should give you 6-8 months of use with oil.
    Filter every 5 uses. Oil use/life depends alot on type of batter/coating on the stuff you are frying. A true batter will give you longer oil use compared to corn meal or panko type breading.
    The post above about large turkey is relevent to frying turkeys. Its never recommended to fry real big birds. 12 to 13 pounds is optimal, even though larger birds will work, and the 6 gallon will eat this size up great. The 4 gallon will allow you to fry the turkey breast with great results per R&V.
    Using the hose attached to the valve will allow you to filter the oil back into the large factory oil containers with filter funnel.
    Hotch would be a great resource for more details. He has several years of use on his.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    thetrim said:
    SGH said:
    @Moleman
    Only problem with this was I never thought I do anything but fry a turkey until I egg'd a turkey (MadMax method) and I'll never do another one any other way now.
    Agree, Max's turkey method is legend...but an injected fryed turkey is so easy using a quality cooker it's a welcomed addition to any Thanksgiving Day meal.
    Variety is the "Cajun" spice of life.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Thanks for the insight on this "soon to be delivered" new toy.

My wallet hates each and every one of you.

J/K
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I have had my 4 gal for years now. One of my favorite cookers. I do recommend stepping up to the 6 gal. Nothing wrong with the 4 but the 6 uses a more standard size larger baskets. You can also find a standard "double basket" on the web.
    As for as oil, I have always used canola oil. Clean it after every 3-4 cooks, more often if cooking any product with a flour dredge. I did the filter in a funnel routine for a few years and it can be a pita. So I went on a mission to find a simple one man method. 

I now now use a 5 gal bucket head S/S fine mesh screen. I posted a video on it. My first mesh was 234. Not knowing if it was right or wrong. Now I recommend the 100.  

@Thatgrimguy went with the 100 and told me it works great. You need to filter warm oil, not hot, but warm. 

That reminds me to let you know there is not a magic temp. 350 works for most items gut if have cooked soome thick proteins, like chicken, at 300. There are a few great southern fried chicken restutrants that do this in the south. I tend to cook at 315-325 on most items. Just remember it takes time to get the center cooked. So, for me, a lower temp for a longer time will do this without over cooking the batter/ breading.

We don't cook much fish at my house. That said, when I am at the end of he oil we tend to make fish our last cook on the oil.

One thing you should always remember. 350 oil and anything with a high moisture or ice crystals will create INSTANT STEAM! And it will pop and splatter!

Buy it, enjoy it and be safe. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Hotch or any CF owners. They sell that turkey fryer holder for 6 gallon and larger, recommended?  Would the addition of a double basket work just as well as the turkey holder, or would the turkey not sit far enough down in the oil?
    Phoenix 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    blasting said:
    @Hotch or any CF owners. They sell that turkey fryer holder for 6 gallon and larger, recommended?  Would the addition of a double basket work just as well as the turkey holder, or would the turkey not sit far enough down in the oil?
    I can't answer that as we don't deep fry our turkey. But I think the holder will allow more depth. On this subject you must verify you haven't overfilled the oil when  deep frying a turkey.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I have both the double basket and the turkey thing for my 6 gallon but have yet to use either. I've not had a chance to do much frying yet. I need to get after it. I spend most of my cooking time in front of a smoker or a griddle.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy. I realize you haven't used it yet, but do you like the design of the turkey thing?  Pic on website doesn't show it well, and I'm cautious after seeing their scabbed together double basket.  Thanks

Phoenix 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My wife hates this forum. Adding this to my list of wants.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    blasting said:
    @Thatgrimguy. I realize you haven't used it yet, but do you like the design of the turkey thing?  Pic on website doesn't show it well, and I'm cautious after seeing their scabbed together double basket.  Thanks

It's nice. Will make lifting a turkey a hell of a lot safer than trying to use a double basket.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    Cajun Fryer is an awesome machine.  I have the 4 gallon.  The only thing I don't recommend is flash frying smoked wings in it to crisp the skin.  The oil will taste like smoked wings until you change the oil.  Never had any problems cooking fish and leaving and flavor or smell.  I fry a lot of fish, shrimp, chicken and home made fries in it.  We ended up buying two 12 gallon units for our Men's club at church.  We do 3 fish frys during lent. We cook 120 pounds of fish, 90 pounds of fries,60 pounds of hush puppies in 2.5 hours.    Use the same oil for the first 2 cooks, then drain 3 gallons out of each before the 3rd fry and add 3 gallons of fresh oil.    Then discard all of the oil after the final fish fry.  
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think for my needs I am going with a table top/counter top T-Fal model that I had searched here and found.
    We dont eat a whole lot of fried food, but hey! I could do it every now and then. ??
    Samosas? with mutton/chicken.... spicy!
    will make for a good lunch at work.
    So I got the spouse a batch of said samosas from whole foods and she wants to have more.
    Green light ahead! :):)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• blasting
    Options

This book has been in my cart for a while and just popped up tonight with a big price reduction.  Just ordered it - only two left so I thought I'd let ya'll know.

It was in my cart since it was one of the highest rated fryer cookbooks.  It's down to only $6.72 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118130766/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9OE9NRYGISW3

Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Aviator said:
    I think for my needs I am going with a table top/counter top T-Fal model that I had searched here and found.
    We dont eat a whole lot of fried food, but hey! I could do it every now and then. ??
    Samosas? with mutton/chicken.... spicy!
    will make for a good lunch at work.
    So I got the spouse a batch of said samosas from whole foods and she wants to have more.
    Green light ahead! :):)
    I strongly advise against this. I went through several before buying the "cheap Chinese knockoff" bayou classic. $200 for 2.5 gallons and gets used 3+ times a week. The electric ones (at least for me) didn't last more than a few months. But then mine were kept outside under the patio, as I can't stand the smell of a fryer in the house. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jeremiah, so what do I do? I dont want another stand alone cooking thing on my deck. Besides, its a wooden deck and hot oil and wood do not mix well. 
    Meanwhile SGH is killing me with all the fried stuff he posts.  :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• blasting
    Options
    @Aviator. I agree with @Jeremiah.  If freestanding isn an option, I'd recommend my current methot over one of those kitchen gadget fryers.  5 quart dutch oven and a portable induction burner.   
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options
    blasting said:

Just ordered it - only two left so I thought I'd let ya'll know.

It's down to only $6.72 

....and it's back up to $18.26 this morning.  I don't understand when that happens - is it a sale or an error?  Now if that would happen on bigger ticket items I'd be really happy.
    Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @Aviator the bayou classic comes with both long and short legs. As for the wood deck, I agree, but I am extremely careful. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Aviator the bayou classic comes with both long and short legs. As for the wood deck, I agree, but I am extremely careful. 
    Nice set up...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks @Photo Egg it's temporary, as I have intentions of a steel table, it just keeps getting bumped down the list of projects. 
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Ordered and now awaiting shipment. I get the 100 micron screen. I will still be asking cooking suggestions if that's ok.  Glad I renewed this topic as a few others jumped in feet first. Thanks for all the information  
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Thanks @Photo Egg it's temporary, as I have intentions of a steel table, it just keeps getting bumped down the list of projects. 
    Lol...I'm the master of incomplete projects.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    Options
    blasting said:
    blasting said:

It's down to only $6.72 

....and it's back up to $18.26 this morning.  I don't understand when that happens - is it a sale or an error?  Now if that would happen on bigger ticket items I'd be really happy.

Just a quick prelim review of this book, since I received it today.  There are about 18 pages discussing the basics of frying.  The rest of the book is recipe ideas.  Good looking book - lots of pics.  I can't believe I got it for 6 bucks, but it looks like a book worthy of the regular price.

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    blasting said:
    blasting said:
    blasting said:

It's down to only $6.72 

Just a quick prelim review of this book, since I received it today.  There are about 18 pages discussing the basics of frying.  The rest of the book is recipe ideas.  Good looking book - lots of pics.  I can't believe I got it for 6 bucks, but it looks like a book worthy of the regular price.

Thanks for the review,,,Just ordered from Amazon. Was still able to choose other sellers and find one new for $7.50 including shipping.
    Thanks for posting.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    These make frying soooo easy.  Removes the temp swings from trying to maintain temp while frying.  I have the 2.5gal Bayou Classic, it's a bit flimsy and if I had to do it again I would spent a few more $$ and gotten one more rigid, but don't let its flimsiness fool ya.....it easily gets the job done for the money.

Take a tube of Pilsbury biscuits, cut each one into four, drop them into 350deg grease, they will sink to the bottom and almost immediately pop up, when they pop up, tap them with tongs and they will roll over, remove from the grease after 20sec or so, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.  Do this for your friends and you will be one popular girl or guy.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.