Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grass or Grain Fed?

RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
Looking at buying a 1/4 to 1/2 steer.  
Any thoughts on your personal experiences, grain or grass fed?
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Grain fed for me. If you have not had grass fed beef, do yourself a favor and buy some steaks and try it. Might like it, might not. 
  • I like grain fed
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Most of the meat I eat is grain fed,  simply because I get 1/2 beef every six months from work and it is all dairy cattle. That being said when I do get grass fed, I very much enjoy it. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Definitely try grass fed before investing in that much.  It is definitely a different flavor.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• I typically like grass fed. I was given a grass fed brisket and thought it was horrible. I believe that it depends on the cut and how it was cooked. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    If you like very lean get grass. My parents bought a half grass fed beef, it was okay...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Clarification if was all grass fed. They bought half of it..
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I grew up on grass fed beef and really like it.  You should definitely try it before buying, as it does have a distinctive flavor.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Lots of great advise, and the consensus states to "try it before you buy it."
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    We switched to grass-fed a little over 3 years ago. Everyone is correct in that it is leaner, but, to us, the flavor is deeper if that makes sense. We get ours from a local gentleman that raises his own cows, so it is a one source supply. I agree that you should see if you could buy a few "samples" from your source to try first before buying in bulk.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I did some grass fed burgers a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed them....will try some other cuts.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I like grain fed better. I just don't care for the flavor of grass fed beef. I would definitely do a taste comparison before investing that much money.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    IMHO, grass fed CAN be better than grain fed. It can also be very poor.

Do a search on "Mark Schatzker Perfect Steak." He talks about how the grass changes the flavor of the meat. Some grass will make beef taste not good, others will be exceptional.

2 examples. There's an organic farm not far from me, now in its 3rd generation. Their beef tastes like none other I've had. Among the things their cattle get is lots of millet. Also tender. My DIL's family has a small free range herd on their farm in Idaho. While the meat tends to be somewhat tough, because the animals are roaming around a large area, the flavor is better than most other beef I've had.

Speaking of Idaho, the Schatzker fellow likes steaks from Alderspring Ranch, also in Idaho. Be prepared for sticker shock.

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    gdenby said:

Do a search on "Mark Schatzker Perfect Steak." He talks about how the grass changes the flavor of the meat. Some grass will make beef taste not good, others will be exceptional.

2 examples. There's an organic farm not far from me, now in its 3rd generation. Their beef tastes like none other I've had. Among the things their cattle get is lots of millet. Also tender. My DIL's family has a small free range herd on their farm in Idaho. While the meat tends to be somewhat tough, because the animals are roaming around a large area, the flavor is better than most other beef I've had.

Speaking of Idaho, the Schatzker fellow likes steaks from Alderspring Ranch, also in Idaho. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Isn't millet, grain?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    smokeyw said:
    gdenby said:

2 examples. There's an organic farm not far from me, now in its 3rd generation. Their beef tastes like none other I've had. Among the things their cattle get is lots of millet.

Isn't millet, grain?
    I thought so to, but when I looked it up, it was listed as a grass. I know wheat is too, technically. Don't know at what stage the farmer let his herd have it. That is, w. set seed head or before. He did specifically say they were not grain fed. I suppose "grain fed" may be a way of saying "no corn," which I never saw in his fields.

Another farm he worked w. produces hogs. They can't really say the hogs are "organic" because even though they get corn from clean ground, there aren't any farmers in the vicinity that can guarantee no cross pollenization from GMO fields.

When I looked at the Alderspring website, they said their cattle also ate legumes, as alfalfa, which is nominally a pea.
  • Grass for me. Much more flavor than grain. Even SRF steaks seem to lack flavor to me vs a good grass fed steak. The fat, especially, is delicious on grass fed beef.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    can you get a steak from the source and try it. i like the australian and south american grass fed but have had local grass fed and theres differences between farms, some good, some better, one place my brother gets his because he processes his at the site can be really gamey some years, i still like it but its good to sample, cousin gets it from the same place and the wife hates it =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    gdenby said:

His "Steak" book is excellent, as is his other book. Really a must read. 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Place I get my grass fed beef from ages it about 3 weeks before they process it.  It definitely makes a difference in the taste.  One that I like.

I am also in the try before you buy camp.  Not all grain or grass fed I've had is good.  Depends on lots of variables.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    In botany, technically grains are the seeds or "fruit" of grass.  But I get it. 
    I've got a buddy that raises grass fed Angus. He's said anytime I want to go in on half to let him know. He does that for a couple of friends. I prefer a grain finished cow/steer myself. They are grass fed and then fattened up at the end. But the grain fed from the store tastes great to me. I don't need a whole side of beef.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.