Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Thinking about @YoukonRon and Suzy. 
    He is greatly missed.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Drinking beers with Benjamin Franklin. 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

But, you don't drink...
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

But, you don't drink...
    Cannot help not to here. I've drank the most here than I have in 7 years. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

But, you don't drink...
    Cannot help not to here. I've drank the most here than I have in 7 years. 
    I drink one to the guys I'm out with five though. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @theyolksonyou you'd be in heaven.  Open bars every night and food. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Be sure to drink a Samuel Jackson while you're up there @tarheelmatt

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Be sure to drink a Samuel Jackson whole you're up there @tarheelmatt

I think I'm done. Leaving tomorrow.  We were at an oyster bar and I ordered a soda. Guys were looking at me a little funny. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Oyster bar and open bar?  I'm in like Flynn. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Two of my very favorite kinds of bars. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The truss comprises 2x4s

top and bottom chords are 2x4s

Although 2x4s are (technically) dimensional lumber, no one would ever confuse them for capital-D Dimensional capital-L Lumber, i.e. Anything you'd use for a floor joist

which means this floor is not framed from 2x4s "on flat" as Nola hastily assumed. Rather it is a floor with truss-joist framing. Which trusses just so happen to be made from 2x4s.  

Which is very different

you can't frame a floor of any significant span with 2x4 dimensional lumber

but you can sure as hell span a decent distance with a truss comprising 2x4s

(ex-architect with a concentration in structural engineering)

I'm thoroughly appreciative of trusses and how they work as a system to be greater than the sum of their parts (compared to being used as components alone, just as joists).

I'm just saying it's the first time I've seen that configuration in particular.  I've seen it with the 2x4s 90 degrees oriented from the picture.  I understand it's easier to nail the diagonals as shown in the picture, just not as strong as it's covered on both sides by flooring and ceiling.
    Almost all of this type of truss as well as steel bar joists are made in this general pattern. There are some perpendicular members, but the triangular panel points are key to their design. I don't think it has anything at all to do with ease of assembly, rather it provides the highest strength in relation to the overall weight of the truss or joist. 
     We might be saying the same thing as I'm not 100% sure I understand what you wrote. Sorry if that is the case. Prolly is. 
    I am not familiar with that design, but after a quick search, I find it very common for floor joists in a truss configuration.  I was thinking more roof trusses, esp in my local. I'm sure if lateral stability were most important because one or more sides were not covered, it would be superior.  Otherwise if it's covered on both sides by cladding (dry wall, plywood, etc), the long edge perpendicular to the floor/ceiling is stiffer
    It has to do with the small dimension, the overall height of the truss

floor truss is not appreciably deep

roof truss?   It makes little difference to turn the top and bottom chords on flat. 

But wtf do i know. Thanks for discovering it for yourself instead of listening to me when i tried to explain it. three times

;)

i won't argue chemistry with you. Don't argue structure with me. Deal?

lateral stability has nothing to do with it by the way. Roof trusses by themselves have no lateral stability. Toof sheathing does that, plus some lateral stuff at the panel points below. 
    For floor joists, similar (plywood subfloor).  

You ou typically don't count on trusses for any lateral stability

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    He is greatly missed.

What happened with Ron?  I feel like I missed something.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The truss comprises 2x4s

top and bottom chords are 2x4s

Although 2x4s are (technically) dimensional lumber, no one would ever confuse them for capital-D Dimensional capital-L Lumber, i.e. Anything you'd use for a floor joist

which means this floor is not framed from 2x4s "on flat" as Nola hastily assumed. Rather it is a floor with truss-joist framing. Which trusses just so happen to be made from 2x4s.  

Which is very different

you can't frame a floor of any significant span with 2x4 dimensional lumber

but you can sure as hell span a decent distance with a truss comprising 2x4s

(ex-architect with a concentration in structural engineering)

I'm thoroughly appreciative of trusses and how they work as a system to be greater than the sum of their parts (compared to being used as components alone, just as joists).

I'm just saying it's the first time I've seen that configuration in particular.  I've seen it with the 2x4s 90 degrees oriented from the picture.  I understand it's easier to nail the diagonals as shown in the picture, just not as strong as it's covered on both sides by flooring and ceiling.
    Almost all of this type of truss as well as steel bar joists are made in this general pattern. There are some perpendicular members, but the triangular panel points are key to their design. I don't think it has anything at all to do with ease of assembly, rather it provides the highest strength in relation to the overall weight of the truss or joist. 
     We might be saying the same thing as I'm not 100% sure I understand what you wrote. Sorry if that is the case. Prolly is. 
    I am not familiar with that design, but after a quick search, I find it very common for floor joists in a truss configuration.  I was thinking more roof trusses, esp in my local. I'm sure if lateral stability were most important because one or more sides were not covered, it would be superior.  Otherwise if it's covered on both sides by cladding (dry wall, plywood, etc), the long edge perpendicular to the floor/ceiling is stiffer
    It has to do with the small dimension, the overall height of the truss

floor truss is not appreciably deep

roof truss?   It makes little difference to turn the top and bottom chords on flat. 

But wtf do i know. Thanks for discovering it for yourself instead of listening to me when i tried to explain it. three times

;)

i won't argue chemistry with you. Don't argue structure with me. Deal?

lateral stability has nothing to do with it by the way. Roof trusses by themselves have no lateral stability. Toof sheathing does that, plus some lateral stuff at the panel points below. 
    For floor joists, similar (plywood subfloor).  

You ou typically don't count on trusses for any lateral stability

Didn't consider it an argument (note: emoticon here => ;) ) but I'll take the deal.

I concede it doesn't make any practical difference.  I just try to think things through by extrapolating with as many variables (via asymptote for example) I can think of and maybe visualizing it made of cardboard.  I did note the lack of lateral stability though.

Options
    Just booked a plane ride home from this awful trip I scheduled to be with my gf and dogs 2 days early
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:
    He is greatly missed.

His MIL passed away. Please keep him and Suzy in your thoughts and prayers. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    4 HR mtg. Ugh. New engineer trainee report out. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:
    He is greatly missed.

His MIL passed away. Please keep him and Suzy in your thoughts and prayers. 
    Funeral was this past Sunday I believe. Look forward to his return soon.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    4 HR mtg. Ugh. New engineer trainee report out. 
    I thought I was going to have a rough morning with a 3 hour product demo.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• northGAcock
    Options
    Spending quality time with American Airlines.....

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Currently trying to understand people. I put a bumper cover on a lady's car. I had it in the shop for 2 days and drove it the length of the shop. It has 170,000 miles on it. But I'M the one that curbed all four of her hub caps. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Currently trying to understand people. I put a bumper cover on a lady's car. I had it in the shop for 2 days and drove it the length of the shop. It has 170,000 miles on it. But I'M the one that curbed all four of her hub caps. 
    Tell her hubcaps suck.  Give her a quote for some nice wheels.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • northGAcock
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Jeremiah said:
    He's got them on his new camper..... =)

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Botch said:

BilZol said:
    building table....
    Details, please; that looks magnificent!  
    Thx. This is number three, although number one isn't really done yet. Still long ways to go building drawers and putting on doors. All starting with little piles of steel and bad ideas. 
    Once I'm finally done with them I'll prolly put up a better post if people are interested. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Edit @Jeremiah

I know people like this, they rationalize as people vs company, so no harm if they just push for something free.  I've made the mistake of referring them to businesses where I know the owner or manager, etc.  That's uncomfortable.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited September 2016
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Jeremiah said:
    He's got them on his new camper..... =)
    I stand by my statement regarding hubcaps. :wink:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    That sucks. I had a vehicle in the shop a while back and they must have taken 50 pics of it before I left it. He said that I wouldn't believe the sh!t folks try to pull these days. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It gets very frustrating. Both the headache of trying
    to take enough photos and dealing with the dumbasses that want everything for free. Sorry midday rant. I need a beer. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You could building hour four on wet behind the ears 20 somethings report out to senior leadership.