Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter

Options
Should I replace my broken plate setter or purchase something else? 
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I replaced mine and hardly use it.  lately seem to grab the Woo with a pizza stone for my indirect cooks. Woo also gives me more options
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Before you decide, give this link a look:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  And if you are confused, give them a call and they will sort out what you need for your style of BGE cooking.  
    You can do much better than a replacement PS.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Depending on how many you cook for I'd go the woo n stone route.  I have the Woo3 (that I cut the spider off of) and if my PS broke today I would just by a pizza stone from CGS and be done with it.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Before you decide, give this link a look:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  And if you are confused, give them a call and they will sort out what you need for your style of BGE cooking.  
    You can do much better than a replacement PS.  FWIW-
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I like my plate setter. I don't have anything else that does what it does so I would replace mine. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I use mine all the time. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I have the woo2 and stone for my xl.  I also have a ps with a big crack that will eventually fail.  I went back to my ps for pizza and large indirect cooks like large brisket or multiple butts.  when it fails, I'll probably see if I can get a bigger stone for the woo2, but the one I have doesn't seem to give me enough shadow for some cooks - pizzas were burning on the bottom, etc.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I have the Platesetter and I like it fine, but I think I am going to get the WOO and buy the 15" Ceramic Half Stones Pair.  This method gets more indirect coverage using the "pair" of Stones and lots of times I wish I had the ability to do mixed direct/ indirect.

Gap using standard platesetter with PSWoo

Lesser Gap- More Indirect Space with Woo and Pair of Stone

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    I have a Woo and a stone for my XL. I really like the set up and it is easy to change from indirect to direct mid cook. i.e. if I'm cooking thick steaks, I'll cook indirect until they are 15-20 degrees below my desired doneness, then remove the stone and put a grid on the lower ring to sear. 

CGS has nice well built products with great customer service.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• bboulier
    Options
    Woo and pizza stone is a much better option.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    What setup for the woo would you recommend? 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My order from the Ceramic Grill Store is arriving Wednesday.  Choosing the right option is confusing.  I ended up going with:
    • Large Adjustable Rig with Crossbars
    • 13" x17" Oval Stone (15" Half Stones Optional) on Rig's lower setting
    • 13" x 17" Oval Grid with Slide Guide in the Rig.
    • Rig Extender.
    • Second 13 X 17" Oval Grid
    This is the setup shown in their rib video.  I was drawn to the longer stones for doing brisket (or ribs).  

You could get by as minimally as the large woo ring and the 13" stone.  There are a lot of options.   

I still have the plate setter, so I can play with different combinations. 

Edit: It looks like you can just visit their store.

Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like my plate setter. I don't have anything else that does what it does so I would replace mine. 
    Have you tried anything else?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas