Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon Moonshine

Options
mikeinccfl
mikeinccfl Posts: 119
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
I tried homemade shine a long time ago and it was somewhat rough. But good (and generous) company outweighs less-than-ideal refreshments and I wouldn't insult my host by not partaking.

I saw this in the store today and bought it for research. Wow. This legal stuff is as smooth as an ice cube. I'll pick up the corn version next time for comparison, the blueberry that I bought is great but it's like fortified fruit juice.

L BGE, XL appetite
Cape Coral, FL

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    The cherry is nasty.  Pass on it if you get the chance.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    For some reason....I feel compelled to post this link to Midnight Moonlight....a great tune....if you ask me.  
    https://youtu.be/0dnibCQtdFE
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    Options
    For some reason....I feel compelled to post this link to Midnight Moonlight....a great tune....if you ask me.  
    https://youtu.be/0dnibCQtdFE
    I started singing this song in my head as soon as i saw the title!!!!!   =)  B)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • mikeinccfl
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    The cherry is nasty.  Pass on it if you get the chance.
    Will do. I remember Cherry Heering from my youth--I don't think I can go back there. Did you try the other varieties?
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Homemade shine can be tasty if done correctly with the proper equipment! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Homemade shine can be tasty if done correctly with the proper equipment! 
    Absolutely no question of it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I have had 3 times in my life real "Moonshine." That swill ain't even close. Real "Shine" is about 190 proof. Liquor goes on a scale of 200. Real Shine will fvck you up. Quick. I'm talking wanting to knock out teeth and maybe have sex with a cousin quick. Not trying to be rude but Real Shine is a whole different animal. That stuff is all marketing. Sorry if I offended anyone. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    yljkt said:
    and maybe have sex with a cousin quick.  Sorry if I offended anyone. 
    Probably just the Alabama guys. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @yljkt. "Real Shine" from the woods is not 190 Proof.  

The only way to get that kind of purity is through a reflux column.  Good Ole' boys in the woods are running pot stills not columns, and without the thumper they yield around 145 Proof.  By double distilling, using a thumper, they can generally get up to 175-180 if it's a good design and they don't run it "hot".

Running "hot", aka fast, you get poor cuts of products and the nasty flavors from the heads blend over to the hearts, as well as, the nasty smells from the tails. 

Truly pure Shine (quality cuts of the hearts) has no taste and no smell.  

190 Proof is done in a manufacturing setting (building) with multiple levels of distillation.  

Above 195, you need to chemically treat the alcohol.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @yljkt. "Real Shine" from the woods is not 190 Proof.  

The only way to get that kind of purity is through a reflux column.  Good Ole' boys in the woods are running pot stills not columns, and without the thumper they yield around 145 Proof.  By double distilling, using a thumper, they can generally get up to 175-180 if it's a good design and they don't run it "hot".

Running "hot", aka fast, you get poor cuts of products and the nasty flavors from the heads blend over to the hearts, as well as, the nasty smells from the tails. 

Truly pure Shine (quality cuts of the hearts) has no taste and no smell.  

190 Proof is done in a manufacturing setting (building) with multiple levels of distillation.  

Above 195, you need to chemically treat the alcohol.
    Have a mason jar full and report back back Skippy. Can only report on my limited 57 years of being alive. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Moonshine tastes better when you know you're cheating the govt out of tax money. 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Nice spin off from Jim Beam and Mila.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That is a 50 gallon still in the video.