Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Wheat Belly

I’m always curious about what drives the latest food fad & and diet craze & it seems gluten is the current poison responsible for all the health woes of Americans.  I think its origins were in the plight of those with celiac coming to light but this book seems to have added to the mix particularly for people that don’t have celiac or even a gluten intolerance.  I’m about half way through it now & I’m getting the gist of the proposition.  Not sure I’m buying it, but I get it.  Just curious if anyone else here has read it & what their take is.

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• The real surprise here is that you can read. 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    The real surprise here is that you can read. 

Thank you for your as always insightful comment
    happy in the hut
  • Oh, taking the high road. That's just not fair. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Zippylip
    the only way I know to throw you off your game
    happy in the hut
  • [insert disparaging remark about your lifestyle and/or sexuality here]

in all seriousness, have not read the book. What's the premise?

• Zippylip
    in a nutshell wheat is directly responsible for hastening most major health problems we are facing including hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, increase in visceral fat, 'wheat bellies', obesity, inflammation & joint disorders & probably others I forgot.  It all has to do with its super high glycemic index & thus its effect on insulin levels & blood sugar which spike following eating any wheat product, then plummet causing side effects not the least of which is the need to eat more, kind of a cyclical process which leads to over eating & all of its associated issues.  Says wheat also scratches the same itch as some controlled substances thus it has addictive qualities that go beyond hunger.  All of these claims which I kind of heard in dribs & drabs over time caused me to wonder why all of a sudden these things are an issue when they apparently haven't been throughout most of human history.  Was it that they were always present & we just didn't notice?  Anyway his response is that wheat (like so many other modern food products) bears little resemblance to wheat of the past.  Though I don't think it's specifically genetically modified (as in the disruption of its DNA, think GMO soy, corn...) it has been cross bread to death according to the author so we're not eating the wheat that sustained human kind from the beginning of our time until maybe midway through the 20th century.  Pretty interesting stuff but so far in the book he leans pretty heavily on anecdotal observations, not that they can't be valid given the fact that he's a doc & sees a lot of patients with these issues but it's a little fast & loose for my taste so far.
    happy in the hut
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    It is Monsanto's fault.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Zippylip
    kl8ton said:
    It is Monsanto's fault.

that's funny, and usually accurate.  I read a couple books about GMOs & at least as of the last publish date which I cannot recall at this point, the American Wheat Growers were successful in beating back Monsanto's attempts to introduce GMO wheat into the mainstream.  Apparently the wheat guys saw the issues created by all the other GMO crops & opted out.  I haven't looked into it since to learn if that has changed however...
    happy in the hut
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Does the book explain how many cultures have been raising/consuming wheat as a staple in their diets for literally thousands of years sans any of the harmful health impacts the book is touting/promoting?

Certainly the wheat grown en masse today in many parts of the planet is likely quite different in many ways than what was grown a hundred or thousands of years ago.

Has a detailed genetic/chemical analysis of the modern monoculture strain of wheat been compared to the various heritage/ancient strains of wheat?

Would seem to be fairly easy to determine those differences. Probably a bit more difficult to determine the actual causative agents and impacts of those differences.

Personally, when it comes to books like "Wheat Belly" I always make sure to seek out the critiques of the evidence/agenda of the authors.

So, is there really anything to the problems and the cause/effect the author of "Wheat Belly" is touting? Beats me. Could be. The problem with diet/health/nutrition/lifestyle studies is that to do them properly is very time consuming and very expensive which is why few quality studies are really ever done.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The observation that most of the wheat on the market bears little resemblance to what was eaten throughout history seems correct, altho' it may be irrelevant. The notion that the gliadin component can cause many negative side effects appears to be a worthwhile one. That it can cause tissue inflammation would have all sorts of negative effects. When many people report cutting out wheat and feeling better than they have for years makes a lot of sense, because they would be decreasing soreness, and the clumsiness that comes w. swollen joints.

Myself, I think that saying wheat is addictive like other controlled substances is hooey. Remember how addictive tobacco was supposed to be, worse than cocaine I heard it said. Consider how many people stopped smoking. Does anyone really think if 65% of the US population was snorting up every 15 minutes, there would have been a drop off such as has happened? Heroin, any one? Think a loaf of wheat bread a day is anywhere near as addictive as even a dime bag?

While dietary research is valuable, the history of claimed panaceas is extensive. Gluten-free seems to be a current one. Certainly not as poor a panacea as radium elixirs, but I doubt avoiding it strictly would have much effect as, oh, not living down wind from a metal smelter.

M. Pollan's comment that nutritional science at present is about as accurate as medical knowledge in the 1500s is worthwhile.
  • Zippylip
    HeavyG said:

So, is there really anything to the problems and the cause/effect the author of "Wheat Belly" is touting? Beats me. Could be. The problem with diet/health/nutrition/lifestyle studies is that to do them properly is very time consuming and very expensive which is why few quality studies are really ever done.

indeed, as said above thus far the book is skinny on details & heavy on "a patient told me he exercises an hour a day and eats sensibly but can't figure out why he's 5 foot 8 & weighs 268lbs, must be the wheat".  He recounts many instances of patients losing weight after eliminating wheat and leaps to the conclusion that wheat is special in its ability to cause weight gain.

He does admit being gluten intolerant & recounts a list of horrifying side effects he suffers whenever he eats wheat; I gather he's sour about the whole experience & wants to see things that may not be there, who knows.

As someone that has always and continues to eat wheat multiple times per day without the side effects described I guess I'm no different that him, albeit in the other camp
    happy in the hut
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    healthy diet plans do not exist =) eat the eggs, dont eat the eggs. dont eat the salt, eat the salt. eat the wheat, dont eat the wheat. next thing they will say is to stop adding quinine to my gin
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    healthy diet plans do not exist =) eat the eggs, dont eat the eggs. dont eat the salt, eat the salt. eat the wheat, dont eat the wheat. next thing they will say is to stop adding quinine to my gin
    Fish i agree micromanaging food intake is a worthless endeavor but I've stuck to my nursery school teacher's advice from 45 years ago, if you want to be healthy eat whatever you want in moderation and get plenty of exercise; made sense then, makes sense now
    happy in the hut
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    gdenby said:
    The observation that most of the wheat on the market bears little resemblance to what was eaten throughout history seems correct, altho' it may be irrelevant. The notion that the gliadin component can cause many negative side effects appears to be a worthwhile one. That it can cause tissue inflammation would have all sorts of negative effects. When many people report cutting out wheat and feeling better than they have for years makes a lot of sense, because they would be decreasing soreness, and the clumsiness that comes w. swollen joints.

Myself, I think that saying wheat is addictive like other controlled substances is hooey. Remember how addictive tobacco was supposed to be, worse than cocaine I heard it said. Consider how many people stopped smoking. Does anyone really think if 65% of the US population was snorting up every 15 minutes, there would have been a drop off such as has happened? Heroin, any one? Think a loaf of wheat bread a day is anywhere near as addictive as even a dime bag?

While dietary research is valuable, the history of claimed panaceas is extensive. Gluten-free seems to be a current one. Certainly not as poor a panacea as radium elixirs, but I doubt avoiding it strictly would have much effect as, oh, not living down wind from a metal smelter.

M. Pollan's comment that nutritional science at present is about as accurate as medical knowledge in the 1500s is worthwhile.
    Pollan also has the best general diet advice ever, "Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."

Besides, shouldn't sugar become the new vilified food soon?  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html?_r=0

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Zippylip
    Acn said:
    gdenby said:

Pollan also has the best general diet advice ever, "Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants."

Besides, shouldn't sugar become the new vilified food soon?  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html?_r=0

Pollan makes more sense than anyone I've ever heard.  As for sugar, it's been an on again off again villain for decades, that's a pretty savvy industry in its ability to deflect criticism.  Still believe it's fine just like bacon so long as you're not pouring family-size pixie stix down your hole every day
    happy in the hut
  • If you have a chance, and have Amazon Prime Movies, watch the documentary on Sugar. My wife and I watched it and it explains the wheat/sugar connection. (Synopsis: one guy goes for 60 days (normally ate no refined sugar before), eating the average amount of sugar consumption in Australia. Average amount is 40 teaspoons a day. He does not eat "junk" food, only what would be considered "healthy" food, keeps his exercise regimin, etc.) 

Fascinating show, really well done.
  • Don't forget when soft drinks (and everything else) switched to high fructose corn syrup from regular sugar. The date roughly corresponds with the beginning of the type II diabetes epidemic.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I seem to remember reading fructose is a worse choice than sucrose.
  • healthy diet plans do not exist =) eat the eggs, dont eat the eggs. dont eat the salt, eat the salt. eat the wheat, dont eat the wheat. next thing they will say is to stop adding quinine to my gin
    They will never take away my quinine from my Gin.  Never I say!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    They will never take away my quinine from my Gin.  Never I say!
    Agreed! Gin & tonic - my favorite zero carb beverage.  :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Zippylip
    If you have a chance, and have Amazon Prime Movies, watch the documentary on Sugar. My wife and I watched it and it explains the wheat/sugar connection. (Synopsis: one guy goes for 60 days (normally ate no refined sugar before), eating the average amount of sugar consumption in Australia. Average amount is 40 teaspoons a day. He does not eat "junk" food, only what would be considered "healthy" food, keeps his exercise regimin, etc.) 

Fascinating show, really well done.
    this one was interesting, Sugar Coated, saw it on Netflix

http://sugarcoateddoc.com/trailer/

happy in the hut
  • nolaegghead
    Wheat belly is to blue grass as Lead belly is to blues?
    I seem to remember reading fructose is a worse choice than sucrose.
    Yep. The human body absorbs it incredibly easily, similar to eggs vs other forms of protein.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Wheat belly is to blue grass as Lead belly is to blues?
    Nirvana's cover of Where Did You Sleep Last Night is one of the great cover songs of all time.
    https://youtu.be/mcXYz0gtJeM

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    @Acn I agree.  I'm a fan of both. 

I researched that song before for its history.  It's author is unknown.   In the pines.

Aren't you late for yoga hippie?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Zippylip said:

Yoga, on a Tuesday?  It's like you don't even know me.  Tuesdays I host my essential oil squeezing & Reiki bonding poetry circle of love
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip said:

Thank you for sticking up for me. Zippy presents himself as a peaceful gentle soul but he is seething with rage. 

Also, eff rodney

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Completely off topic. Didn't even know Nirvana had covered Leadbelly. I was playing the Leadbelly version, one of my favorites of all time, and my older son, who currently lives in Portlandia,  came up to me and bowed.

And even farther off, I was listening while at work to a tape I'd made, and one of the profs came by and complimented my choice. Then he sparked great envy. Said he'd gotten to hear Huddy once, in the flesh. Said it was the most remarkable voice he'd ever heard. Operatic. Could be heard from 1/4 mile away.

• Today's youth........

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA