Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New propane torch convert

So I bought a cheap propane torch from Tractor supply today. Just to try it out. Mini-Max up to 350 dome after 5 minutes. 2 minutes of torch on center of lump. Vents open, close lid. The little egg has given me fits a few times getting to temp. Nice as I can be. Then fired up the medium using the same method. Game changer. Wore my old flannel shirt I do yard work with, and safety glasses. Lots of sparks and drama but wow what a difference. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. No more starters or cubes for me. Mini max up to temp in 5 is unheard of.    

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    I cannot seem to get the hang of it. I really want to. I've started a few this way but it seemed to take forever.  Friend of mine suggested MAPP gas but the starter kit is 50.00. Guess I'll keep experimenting for a while. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Either works great. The only problem with propane is it doesn't like to be upside down, so you need a torch with a hose, so that the bottle can stay upright. I have both the weed burner and map torch, I wouldn't be without the map torch, and don't, it travels with me and max.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    As for the 50.00 price tag, it's worth it. I'd say it's my biggest must have, besides the platesetter/ indirect stone and woo, and the thermapen. 
  • BilZol
    Jeremiah said:
    Either works great. The only problem with propane is it doesn't like to be upside down, so you need a torch with a hose, so that the bottle can stay upright. I have both the weed burner and map torch, I wouldn't be without the map torch, and don't, it travels with me and max.  =)

That's exactly the problem I've been having. I thought it was just me. I've managed to sweat fittings with it for decades but couldn't light a grill. Go figure. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Jeremiah said:
    As for the 50.00 price tag, it's worth it. I'd say it's my biggest must have, besides the platesetter/ indirect stone and woo, and the thermapen. 

Next on my list then. Well, maybe not next, but it's a go now.

That's influence. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Get a Mapp gas torch and just use propane. Worked for me. Didn't seem like it affected it.  
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    I use the cheap propane, but combine it with the oil soaked paper towel---I usually hit each end of the towel for about 10 secs each, and the rest is history, as they say.  Works great, and one torch thing lasts a good while
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • I switched over to a mapp torch and will never go back, BUT the only thing I don't like about the torch is the lump sparks a lot when lighting it. Other than that it works great. It is a trade off. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeremiah
    @johnkitchens I usually turn it down and shove it under a few coal to help keep the sparks down. Especially when I'm on my wood deck. 
  • @Jeremiah, I have noticed that does help a lot, but every now and again wow it will throw out a bunch of big sparks all over everything! I still think it is the best way to light the egg though. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    If you're close to an outlet— Looftlighter!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Couldn't agree more, and makes egging more enjoyable..startup consistent, quick, and reliable.  I can work magic at the campground with my firepimp cane and pyroclaw.

Will never go back to farting around with oiled or greased paper towels, rutland starters, etc.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    edited September 2016

Of all the methods I've tried, here are my favorites from top to bottom:

1.  Weed Burner - really good for hot and fast cooks.  Un-hooking it from the propane tank and storing it everytime sucks.  I have no choice...especially w/ a curious 3 year old boy and a curious 14 year old boy under my roof.

2.  Paper towel soaked in oil - vents wide open, light, close lid, come back in 10 min.  I refuse to make this #1 because of all the $$ I've spent on the other gadgets.

3.  Bison Airlighter -  Slight edge over the looftlighter because it doesn't have to be plugged in to use.  I also like the option of just using the blower to stoke the fire.  It folds and is convenient to store.

4.  Looftlighter - Good for starting low and slow fires.

5.  Starter Cubes - Hard to remember to buy some and sometimes I have issues w/ them staying lit.

6.  Torch - Doesn't like to be held upside down. 

7.  Charcoal Chimney -  Slowly gathering cobwebs.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's not propane that doesn't like being upside down, it's the propane torch head. The Map torch head is designed differently and works well upside down or otherwise, with either map pro gas or regular propane. No need for Map pro gas - considerably more expensive and it buys you nothing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    When I'm near an outlet, the electric starter is my go to. Put it in the lump, put some lump on top of it and go get the protein ready. Ten minutes later, ready to go and no worries about it melting like a loof lighter. When I'm not near an outlet, I've had great results with a propane torch or with the fire starters. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • I've used a propane torch to light the lump almost since I first got my BGE. Works great, but I always tell people to be sure to put on a pair of safety glasses. Got a stray spark in my eye once and let me tell you that SMARTS!
    No real damage, thankfully, but it seriously gets your attention. Now I keep the safety glasses next to the torch and use them religiously.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Focker
    Yep, grab the glasses off the freezer, torch off the wall, and go.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• yljkt
    I did grab the safety glasses. It makes alot of sparks. I can see in the dry season wetting down the grass with water a few minutes before lighting them. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    If you  bury the head of the nozzle into the pile of lump you don't get the sparks as opposed to lighting the surface. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Focker
    One should still wear glasses IMO.  Why take the chance?  Burning your cornea isn't fun.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• yljkt
    td66snrf said:
    If you  bury the head of the nozzle into the pile of lump you don't get the sparks as opposed to lighting the surface. 
  • yljkt
    How about going thru the bottom vent and lighting the bottom of the lump? 
  • Focker
    yljkt said:
    How about going thru the bottom vent and lighting the bottom of the lump? 
    I wouldn't bother.  Wear PPE and torch the top.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Works just fine (just not on the Mini).  I use a Mapp on the Mini. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

•  I had a mapp  torch and it worked well. I recently bought the one that looks like a cane I can now use propane, and also stand farther away. And it lights the lump quicker.