Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt mistake-will they be OK?

Options
Hooter
Hooter Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Set my egg up last night to do two 7.5 lb. butts. Hooked up the bbq guru, but mistakenly plugged the power cord into the "fan out". So the fan blew all night long and I didn't know it. I just got up and looked at them and the egg temp was at 360 and the butts were at 200. I'm going to take them off. Do ya'll think they will still be OK to eat?

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    Hooter,[p]While they may not be what you expected and probably didn't plateau as much as you'd like, you'll probably still be pleasantly surprised at how good they are.[p]Keep us posted...
  • Hooter
    Options
    Dos Huevos,[p]Thanks. I hope so. They are for a swim team pep rally this afternoon with around 40 people. I hope they turn out OK!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hooter,[p]If the time at 200 internal wasn't very long, the butts may be ok but I am sure the quality might not be there. Butts can be cooked at 350 and come out great but they must come off the cooker at about 195-200 degrees for best results. [p]Dave

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Hooter,
    At times like these, remember the words of Julia Child: "they won't know there's anything wrong unless you tell them". LOL[p]Ken

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    A little bit o' sauce and everything will O.K.......[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL[p]

• Hooter
    Options
    Blue Smoke,

You got that right! I just hope they aren't going to be dry. I put them in a cooler wrapped in foil and a towel for awhile. I'll pull and add some vinegar sauce at that point.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hooter,[p]PLEASE find yourself an ice chest where you can wrap them tightly in heavy duty tin foil and leave them in there all day. No reason to pull them now. Put several towels over them and don't open the ice chest. Remove them later and pull 'em.[p]Jaymer...
  • Hooter
    Options
    Kept the butts in a cooler until 1:00. Pulled them then, put in a crock pot, and served at 6:00. The whole thing was gone in about 30 minutes.

Thanks for the reassurances!